Vacuum asperators

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Wade. I would be sad if I imploded my biggest glass carboy or overheated a new pump.
smiley19.gif

OK... yall did it!!!!!!!
I pick-up an aspirator on Ebay today... can't wait to give it a try!!!

Wade, I was looking at the pic in your post... when you degas, you pull a vacuum on the full carboy and leave it for 30 min.??? Do you do this 1 time or more????
Thanks,

Hey Wade, I've been thinking about this. If I just use the pump to run cooled wort or freshly mixed must DOWNstairs, it doesn't seem like that would require much pressure, even with the longer hose. What do you think? I would have gravity on my side so it would just be getting the initial run started, wouldn't it?

(I was joking about running anything UPstairs - I think I can safely bottle in the basement now - although messing with the laws of gravity might be fun)

Brewgrrrl said:
Yes Joan, now you see why I was offended when I bought my first 3-gallon glass carboy for wine and the guy tried to push me into getting a carboy handle "so you can carry it easier." Easier? Dude, I could play catch with a full 3-gallon glass carboy after all the beer and wine I've been hauling around! Sheesh!

Yep, I undersatnd that completely! Don't those guys know we juggle 3 threes? Sheesh!

Brewgrrrl, downstairs even with a longer hose would be no problem, but I thought you were talking about racking a liquid from the basement to the 1st floor and that might put a starin on an empty carboy cause thats where all the vacuum is applied so that emty carboy would have had to been upstairs with the pump and gravity would not be on your sude there.
Darryll, it may require several times cause I would do it until it held a vac of around 16-18". I usually let it run a bit at first to get rid of most of the gas in the wine and then do the time elapsed method to see how good a job I did. Each wine is different but usually after running the pump for awhile the first time it will hold around 12" and by the 3rd time Ill all set.

I wouldn't test the limits of how high can you go. Just be happy you can do it on level ground and not have to lift that bad boy any more.

Wade, I just ordered the buon vino auto filler this morning. I will be asking for your assistance once again. Once I get it in and am ready to bottle some blackberry wine.

Simple, There are 2 hoses with the bottler, I just connect my vacuum pump to the small hose on top of the bottler which is actually the shutoff mechanism. I just use the very flexible hose with the little fittings on both ends that come commercially with these units that mount to hospital fittings right to the very small hose that would normally go to an overflow bottle like shown on the website. You will get some wine in your overflow bottle using it for bottling, I just clean mine out afterwards

wade said:
You will get some wine in your overflow bottle using it for bottling, I just clean mine out afterwards 

Gee Wade, how do you clean out your overflow bottle?
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Since that was brand new you guessed right. Opening 1 of them without busting the dang clips though was touch, you have to nip the sides off them to do so.

My overflow bottle is more a canister that holds about a quart. It is plastic and has a snap on lid- very easy to drink from- errhh, clean.

When I was finished racking yesterday there was a combination of peach chenin blanc, pinot noir, and cherry desert wine in the (brand new) plastic overflow container. It was sort of like sangria.
smiley17.gif

Brewgrrrl said:
When I was finished racking yesterday there was a combination of peach chenin blanc, pinot noir, and cherry desert wine in the (brand new) plastic overflow container. It was sort of like sangria.
smiley17.gif

Brewgrrl if you set the orange cap up right with the small racking cane or fittings, you shouldn't get any overflow in the jar. Keep the cane just inside the lid for the suction side or evenkeep the fitting inside the cap if you need one. Just turn down the vacuum as it gets close to the top and shut it off when almost where you want it. It will stop almost immediately if the suction is down. It takes a little practice. It has been over a year and hundreds of gallons transferred since I had anything in the overflow from racking.

I dont get any in the jar from racking following applemans suggestions here but when using the bottler I do and dont think there is a way around that except with a jug in between like I stated in the thread about Boun Vino. I bought the solid bung today for this purpose.

Back