U.S. Amateur Winemaking Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't entered any competitions yet, however, I may enter this one. Any tips for a newbie as far as competitions go???

I haven't entered any competitions yet, however, I may enter this one. Any tips for a newbie as far as competitions go???

This year, I have entered 8 different competitions. After shipping and entry fees, this has ended up being rather expensive. My Wife finally put her foot down. If I enter any more competitions, I will have to make less wine this year. So much for competitons....

Advise for a newbie... Make the wine you like and pity the judge that does not agree!

I entered local fairs this summer which costs very little. I was looking for feed back on my wine. This is a good way to do it. The bigger competitions can cost as much as $25.00 a bottle plus shipping which is expensive. This particular competition cost me $18.00 to enter two bottles and $13.00 to ship two 375ml bottles. Thats $31.00 cash up front costs plus what ever value you place on the wine you're sending.
Local competitions usually cost from $.25 to $2.00 a bottle to enter and some pay pretty nice $$$ prizes.

I entered local fairs this summer which costs very little. I was looking for feed back on my wine. This is a good way to do it. The bigger competitions can cost as much as $25.00 a bottle plus shipping which is expensive. This particular competition cost me $18.00 to enter two bottles and $13.00 to ship two 375ml bottles. Thats $31.00 cash up front costs plus what ever value you place on the wine you're sending.
Local competitions usually cost from $.25 to $2.00 a bottle to enter and some pay pretty nice $$$ prizes.

I only know of the Cowie competition that awards an ounce of gold. The Corrado's competition awards a free trip to Napa Valley. I do not know of any other competitions that award anything more than a medal. You say that they are local? Can anyone from out-of-state enter?

Also, I think that the Indy competition this year was $30 per entry.

You say that they are local? Can anyone from out-of-state enter?
Also, I think that the Indy competition this year was $30 per entry.

Possibly but you have to drop them off in person. I say you can win $$ because the first one I entered I walked away with less then $7.00 but the next two was between $30-50.00. Entry fee was low and I ended up with some nice play money for more stuff. Best part was, meeting more wine makers in the area like KevininPA.

More Tips...

Don't bottle the wine right before you plan to ship it....the wine should have been bottled at good two months or better.

Ship the wine so it arrives at least a week preferably two before judging

Solicit open/honest feedback from people you trust (e.g. a fellow wine drinker, wine maker, etc) prior to deciding which wines to enter. Listen to the voice in your head....if you know the wine isn't quite ready, save yourself some money and wait til the next competition

More Tips...

Don't bottle the wine right before you plan to ship it....the wine should have been bottled at good two months or better.

So the fact I corked my bottles the same morning I sent them out is bad? :slp

Actually I even had to borrow the corks. You are not permitted any shrink capsules or any other identifying marks on the neck of the bottles. Since my corks were custom branded I had to switch them out.

Dan,

Your wine is so good you have nothing to worry about...

On another note....the juice I got from Walkers was fabulous....

I spent the first week in Oct in the finger lakes and went to fulkersons winery. They sell juice there too. They were in the middle of harvest and could not believe Erie had all ready harvested their Riesling.

They let me sample some of their juices. Their Valvin Muscat was awesome. I may have to get some juice there next fall

I dont enter my wines in these comps as its just too expensive and my budget nowadays doesnt allow for it. Although I didnget a little money back after taking a pay cut Im still down quite a bit an hour and with the Holidays coming up $ is scarce. I really only enter one of my state comps out of about 3 as thats the only one worth anything IMO. I refuse to pay $25 for someone to taste my wine and just offer opinoins! I can give my wine to people for free and get that. Most of the judges at these competions arent real judges at all, typically just people who make and drink wine like me and you. I was a judge last year at one of these competions. True judges believe it or not have to take many many hours of classes in which they have to pay money to do.

Dan,

Your wine is so good you have nothing to worry about...

On another note....the juice I got from Walkers was fabulous....

I spent the first week in Oct in the finger lakes and went to fulkersons winery. They sell juice there too. They were in the middle of harvest and could not believe Erie had all ready harvested their Riesling.

They let me sample some of their juices. Their Valvin Muscat was awesome. I may have to get some juice there next fall

Hey PAwinedude,

So you know Dan, where do you live at? Was you up at his last party? I was there, is this how you came to be here, he strong armed you into joining didn't he? LOL Dan is trying for the world record of more PA'ers here than from any other state.

I dont enter my wines in these comps as its just too expensive and my budget nowadays doesnt allow for it. Although I didnget a little money back after taking a pay cut Im still down quite a bit an hour and with the Holidays coming up $ is scarce. I really only enter one of my state comps out of about 3 as thats the only one worth anything IMO. I refuse to pay $25 for someone to taste my wine and just offer opinoins! I can give my wine to people for free and get that. Most of the judges at these competions arent real judges at all, typically just people who make and drink wine like me and you. I was a judge last year at one of these competions. True judges believe it or not have to take many many hours of classes in which they have to pay money to do.
i will judge your wine for free..and be honest:h

I only know Dan from the different wine sites.

I live in Johnstown PA but I travel all over Western PA and Northeast OH for work. I don't get on the forums as often as I would like, but let me know when the next gathering is and I would be happy to attend. Got a mess of wine stacked up.....with 7 carboys full going and a few kits in the hopper.

I don't plan on doing anymore kits for a long while. The available juices in this area are too high quality and way less expensive than most of the kits...

I only know Dan from the different wine sites.

I live in Johnstown PA but I travel all over Western PA and Northeast OH for work. I don't get on the forums as often as I would like, but let me know when the next gathering is and I would be happy to attend. Got a mess of wine stacked up.....with 7 carboys full going and a few kits in the hopper.

I don't plan on doing anymore kits for a long while. The available juices in this area are too high quality and way less expensive than most of the kits...

Seven carboys? You need to kick it up. I agree, I have also cut way back on kits right now, especially since the quality of the harvests is the highest its been in several years. I will be selecting a few limited addition kits though as they are very high quality and I have enjoyed every single one I've selected over the last couple of years.

Well then onetoomany come on up and test all you want! My doors are always open and the bar never closes!

I agree with the limited edition kits....I have the WE Trio Blanca, Meglioli Cab Sauv, WE Unoaked Estate Chardonnay, just to name a few. I will tell you, the Vinifera Noble Sangiovese I did came out great. I oaked it with the infusion spirals. The chilean juice I picked up in May is coming along great too.

I have three of the ports to do....blackberry, white chocolate and of course the good ole CRP. My CRP from last year has finally rounded the corner....unfortunately, I only have a handful of bottles remaining.

I am getting ready to experiment with using frozen fruit with a kit. Going to make a "real" strawberry Riesling... Just need 28 hours in day thats all

Dan,

We need to motivate some PA folks to enter this contest. I checked out last years winners...doesn't appear to be many from PA or the Northeast for that matter.

Need to compete with the folks from CA and show them, the Yankee's can do more than totle tea!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back