What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would irresponsible to allow @BigDaveK to go unchallenged.

Also not YET dinner.

Capicola, fennel Lonza, a chipotle mixed pepper loin, and a smoked coppa.. I just pulled the coppa out of the smoker. I think I am going to regret not smoking them all, and I think the can is open. There are worms everywhere!

I cold smoked the coppa, had to throw a block of cheddar in there too.
1000001281.jpg1000001282.jpg

Fresh "picked". These were not pickled. They were fresh picked in Maine. I boiled them, sautéed them and we had them with Shrimp Scampi last night.

Hah! Obviously, I thought it said "pickled." Perhaps it was *I* who was pickled! :)

We crock potted a pork shoulder today, in chicken stock and Pampered Chef Tuscan Chicken Seasoning. I let it cook all day, let it cool a bit, then remove the fat:

pork 1.jpg

Then the "claws" come out and the pork is shredded:

pork 2.jpg

Tonight's dinner was plain 'ole pulled pork, quinoa (cooked with basmati rice + red lentils), and a salad.

pork + rice.jpg

Tomorrow's dinner? Something else using pulled pork ...

Gotta do something on a smoker for Memorial Day weekend....even an electric smoker. Pop up T-storms here and there, so I decided on the electric route since I can pull that under a garage overhang and keep it dry. Ribs, GF mac 'n cheese, corn. Yum!

5-26-24_ribs.jpg

5-26-24_mac-n-cheese.jpg

Foiled the ribs the last 45 minutes, used cherry wood in the beginning of the cook.

Pizza for tomorrow as it is supposed to be rather wet...

Due to the morning thunderstorms, I had to bake the ribs instead of smoking them. I used a slight variation on my normal rub and baked them at 225 F (107 C) for 4 hours, then slathered them with BBQ sauce and baked another 45 minutes. A sufficient portion was wolfed down!

ribs.jpg

This morning I discovered I was short on chili powder, so I went half-n-half with chili powder and paprika. Instead of cayenne, I used ground chipotle peppers, which gave it a nice flavor.

Wasn't crazy about the crust. First time trying this recipe - it was crisp, but too much so, not enough chew and not enough 'leopard'. I haven't made pizza dough in a long time, but this was fun.

View attachment 112929

Almost looks like St. Louis style cracker crust. Just need to cover that with provelle cheese.

Well, you nailed that. My first observation was that it was very 'cracker-like'. Used 00 flour, though it was a 'same day' recipe.
I always follow the recipe on the bag of KA "00" flour, Mix it up and let it ferment overnight and bake the next night and the response from Mrs IB is pretty much like this......

I always follow the recipe on the bag of KA "00" flour, Mix it up and let it ferment overnight and bake the next night and the response from Mrs IB is pretty much like this......

My wife and I rented that movie when we were dating, I played the clip, she's out in the family room, and she called out the movie in about 3 seconds flat, lol.

This was a bag of KA 00 that I recently grabbed at Costco. Next time is to follow the recipe on the bag. I think the issue was the 'secondary' ferment of 30 minutes and a quick, high yeast primary of just 2 hours. Certainly no flavor development, which I expected. But the cracker crust was not.

This was a bag of KA 00 that I recently grabbed at Costco. Next time is to follow the recipe on the bag. I think the issue was the 'secondary' ferment of 30 minutes and a quick, high yeast primary of just 2 hours. Certainly no flavor development, which I expected. But the cracker crust was not.
I have never seen any KA flour at any Costco out this way!

If you are in a hurry and have not tried the KA "Pizza Flour" give it a try. Makes a very good crust in as little as a couple of hours. It has baking soda added which helps with the quick proof and bake.

1716987286604.png

I have never seen any KA flour at any Costco out this way!

If you are in a hurry and have not tried the KA "Pizza Flour" give it a try. Makes a very good crust in as little as a couple of hours. It has baking soda added which helps with the quick proof and bake.

View attachment 112952

Very similar packaging.

IMG_1498.jpeg

Back