WineXpert top up or move to 5gal carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a selection australian chard finishing clearing and the LE south african cab/shiraz finishing secondary. In the past, i've never been able to get near 6 gallons after the racking off the settled lees, and usually just transfer to a 5 gallon carboy with about a bottle left over.

Do you guys top up with a similar wine to fill 6 gallons, or do you rack to a 5 gallon carboy and keep a little reserve…. I plan to bulk age for about 3 - 6 months, or until the california and italian juice becomes available, so keeping the air space to a minimum is important…

Thanks!

Steve

Personally, I only have 6 gallon carboys (and they are really a bit bigger than that). Ergo, I always top up with a similar wine. I generally use a moderately priced commercial wine for this purpose.

This does not bother me at all. I rationalize thusly: "I have this bottle of commercial wine. I can either drink it now, or I can blend it in with that other wine and drink it later. Either way, I will drink it."

Unlike Paul, I rack down. Any wine that I have left I blend together and create a "Party Wine"

Like Paul I've only got 6 gallon carboy's. [My 3 glass are more like 6.5 gallons. My 4 plastic are pretty much right on.] If I'm doing a kit and it says to top off with water I will but with no more than 500ML. Then, if more topping off is needed I'll use marbles if it is just a little more needed to bring it up or similar wine if I've got a bunch left to top off.

Now that I've got a bit of inventory of home made wine I'll likely have something in my basement with which I can top off.

Steve, I have an assortment of carboys including 6.5, 6, 5 and 3 gallon plus 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs and finally 1500 ml, 750 ml and 375 ml bottles all of which can mount airlocks. I always size down.

I rack down. I have 6,5,3 gal carboy and 1500 ml, 750 ml and 375 ml bottles with air locks, but my favorite container for surplus wine is:

wine-glass.JPG

Thanks guys. I'll probably just continue to rack down, as it will also help me clear up a few 6 gallon carboys for Chilean secondary fermentation.

Thanks!

I rack down. I have 6,5,3 gal carboy and 1500 ml, 750 ml and 375 ml bottles with air locks, but my favorite container for surplus wine is:

I also have several sizes and size down. Yes this too is my favorite cantainer!:b

I always top up with wine that I have recently bottled. I have close to 600 bottles of wine, so I'm lucky that way. <be jealous, be very jealous!>

I do both topping up and racking down.

I have 3-6 gallongs (6.5) and 2-5 gallons.

If it will cost me more than 2 bottles to top up, I rack down

I learned my lesson with using up to 4 bottles to Top up a WE kit, that lost alot of volume due to sediment.

but like others, I know have surplus

I bought one have 3 6g. But found out that all three are not true six gallons. For example I racked to bulk age my cab/merlot last night. When Rach I had more space than I should. I used the allinonepump pump and put everything in hops bags so I do loose much. So I racked back to another clean 6g and filled up more than the other carboy. Only topped up with half bottle of like wine. I due have a 5g but my Pinot noir is bulk aging in it. I have few 1g and 1/2g. Need more 5g

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'm a complete newb but so far I have 4 kits under my belt. The first two both cheap reds I did at once, the one I racked down unintentionally I didn't realize the carboy I was racking to was a 5 and not a six (a newb) and I lost a few bottles... that said when it came time to bottle both of them I ended up getting one less bottle I think simply due to the amount of sediment in the 6 gal one. The one that was racked down to a 5 gallon had a nicer taste and cleared faster maybe it was just a coincidence but they were from the same manufacturer.

I'm a complete newb but so far I have 4 kits under my belt. The first two both cheap reds I did at once, the one I racked down unintentionally I didn't realize the carboy I was racking to was a 5 and not a six (a newb) and I lost a few bottles... that said when it came time to bottle both of them I ended up getting one less bottle I think simply due to the amount of sediment in the 6 gal one. The one that was racked down to a 5 gallon had a nicer taste and cleared faster maybe it was just a coincidence but they were from the same manufacturer.

I find that taking a paint marker and writing the volume of the carboy really helps me when transferring, its really hard sometimes between a 5 and a 6 gallon carboy - especially if you have been taste testing - LOL !!

I find that taking a paint marker and writing the volume of the carboy really helps me when transferring, its really hard sometimes between a 5 and a 6 gallon carboy - especially if you have been taste testing - LOL !!

tasting that would be me lol I use marbles, downsize if there is air space or use the reserve, mason jars work well to keep the reserve tightly sealed in the fridge works great cuz your reserve ends up clearing or you can always get different size bunges like rocky said

Steve, I have an assortment of carboys including 6.5, 6, 5 and 3 gallon plus 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs and finally 1500 ml, 750 ml and 375 ml bottles all of which can mount airlocks. I always size down.

About the same here but 1 6 gal , 1 5 gal, and about 8 - 4.2 litres glass wine jugs and about 20-24 - 3.2 litre jugs and I got every size pop or plastic bottle right down to airplane shot bottle
Size down and waste not want not - and if it's not a kit I make more than the line whatever it is so I have some reserve which i might keep some small bottles in the fridge..

And If I don't have corks or an airlock for whatever I use balloons or double balloons with no damage or bad taste in any bottle I've opened - and I think I had some stuff ballooned about 4 months + max.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back