Too soon to rack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it ever too soon to rack?

I racked my first 5 gal. batch of Blackberry for the second time less than 3 weeks ago and I already have another 3/4" of sediment accumulated! Should I rack again, or let it mellow for another month or two? Wondering if sitting on the lees for a while will do bad things?

Any advice is appreciated!

-Absolute Beginner

Hi AbsoluteBeginner,

Just to make sure I understand, you have already racked your wine twice in three weeks? That is too fast, when it is in the primary rack once wine is at 1.010 or lock down the lid, add an airlock and let if ferment to dry in the primary. Either way once it is dry, then rack and add sulphites and if you are going to backsweeten sorbate it as well and backsweeten. Now leave it for at least a month, I usually go by how much the wine has cleared before I rack again.

not to mention..... it's too much extra work..... you could be using your time to make more wine

Sorry, I didn't explain well...

I haven't racked twice in 3 weeks... but I have racked twice in 6 weeks. So, from what you say, I guess it's okay to let it sit for a while (it hasn't cleared much at all). I was just surprised at how quickly all that sediment built up again... then I got nervous about it just sitting there. I guess I'll rack again in Oct. and see how it's going.

Thanks!

-Absolute Beginner

It is tough to have the patience! I keep looking at my wines and wondering if I should rack it again, but the 3 batches I have in secondary have only been there a max of 7 days! Considering that most of what I read says secondary fermentation should be 5 to 7 weeks, I am learning the patience factor. It won't hurt my wine to sit on the lees for a while!!

Secondary fermentation can go very quickly or take a long time. It's really about your hydrometer reading and not the length of time. Once you get the exact same reading 3-5 days in a row, your fermentation is complete.

Relax. Wine making is a procrastinator's hobby. Make some beer in between wine batches.

Sorry, I didn't explain well...

I haven't racked twice in 3 weeks... but I have racked twice in 6 weeks. So, from what you say, I guess it's okay to let it sit for a while (it hasn't cleared much at all). I was just surprised at how quickly all that sediment built up again... then I got nervous about it just sitting there. I guess I'll rack again in Oct. and see how it's going.

Thanks!

-Absolute Beginner

You might want to degas as well to help with the clearing process. The gas in the wine will hold the sediment throughout the wine. You'll find it clears much quicker.

Thanks!

I'll search the archives for some good hints on degassing... this wine was VERY fizzy at 2nd racking.

Also, I do have some Sparkolloid on hand... should I add some after degassing? Or wait and see if it clears ok on its own?

-Absolute Beginner

I use the Sparkalloid due to the fact that I'm not good enough at the 3-Ps. I put the Spkld in before degassing if I'm using a wand on the drill since it helps mix really well while degassing. If I use a vacuum, I put it in after degassing. I'm sure the experts will chime in for better advice.

Last edited:
So what is the rush?
Winemaking is a slow game
Go and have a coffee ... or two. Three weeks is nothing !
You must wait until it settles.
You do not mention things like sg? Has it really finished fermenting? etc etc

For what it is worth, You can't rack too soon. You may, though, want to wait until the wine clears before you rack off the lees.

Racking early removes the dead yeast an improves your chances of avoiding hydrogen sulfide issues due to yeast breakdown. Go ahead an rack. there is not real harm.

Latest posts

Back