To sorbate or not to sorbate, that is the question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
When doing dry wines is there any good reason to add this chemical? It seems to produce a strong bubble gum taste and smell.
Is there really a risk requiring this insurance? Thanks in advance.....

I never do. you just have to MAKE SURE it's fermented all the way before you bottle.

Its an "insurance policy" in case you are not paying attention and you don't ferment to completely dry. As long as you practice good sanitization and your sure its fermented to dry its optional. NOT optional if you add an F-Pack etc.

Get the F pack......what about chaptalisation? Doing Amarone kit now, readings down to .993....sorbate?

Sgift, is this a kit that chaptalizes at the beginning of fermentation or part way through the fermentation cycle? I have a triple batch of WinExpert Amarone on at present which called for chaptalizing when the SG hit 1.020. Is this what you are making? I split the batch into a one 5 gallon and two 6 gallon carboys during the secondary phase of fermentation and added raisins to the two 6 gallon carboys. The SG of the 5 gallon is at 0.991 (I did not add sorbate) and the SG of the "raisined" Amarone is at about 0.997. The instructions call for bottling when the SG is at 0.998 or less. I plan to bulk age the wine for at least 9 months, more likely 12. I just tasted the raisined Amarone and it is really nice (and has a real kick).

Sorbate is used if you want to add a sugar back to a wine after it is done fermenting and it is clear. If used in the proper dosage it should not affect the flavor profile.

So, if you intend on keeping the wine dry, their really is not a need for sorbate.

Rocky
I am making the same WE kit and it is at .993. Are you going to add the sorbate provided in the kit? I wish I could bulk age but in Florida it will be at room temp., in the bottle it will be at 55 degrees. Thanks

Rocky
I am making the same WE kit and it is at .993. Are you going to add the sorbate provided in the kit? I wish I could bulk age but in Florida it will be at room temp., in the bottle it will be at 55 degrees. Thanks

No, I do not intend to use sorbate in either wine. I almost never use sorbate for many of the same reasons stated above by other members.

Bulk aging in the bottle will give you the same results as bulk aging in a carboy. I find the primary advantage of bulk aging in a carboy is that the wine is easier to work with should you have to do something to it before bottling, such as add a flavor, sweeten, etc.

We use alot of sorbate because most of our wines are backsweetened and in 25 years we've never experienced bubblegum flavor. The only time that happens is when you over-dose sorbate.

Be aware that your wine HAS to have most of the yeast cells racked off of it and the wine very clear before using it. And be sure to dissolve it in a little water before adding.

Yea, so that statement is absolutely NOT true.

When I was first starting out I made several white wines from kits. Mosti Mondial in fact. I added only the supplied package of Sorbate to a dry wine as I was just starting out and following directions to a T.

After adding the package of Sorbate I had 6 gallons of bubble gum flavored Chardonnay. It took another 9 months for that flavor profile to fade away in the bottle.

The only time that happens is when you over-dose sorbate.

I would not be surprised if it was an over dose of sorbate to be honest. I say this because kits are designed for wine making made stupid easy, so I would not be surprised if the kit manufacturer was a little heavy handed with the sorbate as an extra level of insurance for the quick turn around market of the kit world. Or it could have been the "dreaded kit taste".

Honestly, I would be surprised if a tried and true engineered wine making additive, which is in wide spread use across the industry ,would turn peoples wine into alcoholic bubble gum wine, if used in the correct amounts... Does not sound like a good business model if you ask me....

So, to bounce it back to you..

When I was first starting out I made several white wines from kits. Mosti Mondial in fact. I added only the supplied package of Sorbate to a dry wine as I was just starting out and following directions to a T.

After adding the package of Sorbate I had 6 gallons of bubble gum flavored Chardonnay. It took another 9 months for that flavor profile to fade away in the bottle.

This statement is absolutely NOT true.

According to Tim Vandergrift, sorbate also prevents the growth of spoilage organisms.

I have only used sorbate a handful of times or so, but I haven't experienced the bubblegum taste when using it.

Honestly, I would be surprised if a tried and true engineered wine making additive, which is in wide spread use across the industry ,would turn peoples wine into alcoholic bubble gum wine, if used in the correct amounts... Does not sound like a good business model if you ask me....

So, to bounce it back to you..

This statement is absolutely NOT true.

Seth, you may want to review your Karl Popper.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Logic_of_Scientific_Discovery

Popper argues that science should adopt a methodology based on falsifiability, because no number of experiments can ever prove a theory, but a single experiment can contradict one.

According to Lum Eisenman the author of The Homewinemaker's Manual:

Potassium Sorbate (Sorbate)
Potassium sorbate is used to stabilize wines containing residual sugar. The sorbate does
not stop the yeast from fermenting the sugar, but it can prevent the yeast cells from reproducing.
Consequently, sorbate is only effective when most of the active yeast cells have been removed
from the wine by racking or filtering. The usual procedure for using potassium sorbate is to
clarify, stabilize and age the wine. Then the wine is sweetened, and the sorbate is added at
bottling time. Potassium sorbate will not stop active fermentations. For most people, the taste
threshold of sorbate is 200 or 300 milligrams per liter of wine. However, some people are more
sensitive to the taste of sorbate, and a small fraction of the population can detect less than 50
milligrams per liter. Fortunately for the winemaker, many people sensitive to sorbate do not find
its bubble-gum taste objectionable in wine. The normal dose level is 200 to 250 milligrams of
potassium sorbate for each liter of wine. If too little sorbate is added, the wine may start
fermenting again. If too much sorbate is added, the quality of the wine may be adversely affected.
Dose levels of more than 250 mg/l can produce noticeable changes in wine taste and smell.

Back to grapeman................
So if the average wine has 200 to 250 ppm in it, and a small percentage of the population can detect 50 ppm, then that small percentage of people (Ibglowin) will smell it and may or may not be bothered by the bubblegum. My guess is he hated Hubba Bubba Bubble gum.

I bought so many packs of baseball cards when I was a kid and chewed every stick of gum that came with each pack so yea, I got sick of that taste at a very early age!

Turock,

I used the amount provided in three WE kits and one RJS kit, only one was with a K pack. ALL have the unmistakable taste and smell of bubblegum.....it's very objectionable in wine, although I liked bubblegum once upon a time. It masks the true flavors that may be present. I have tasted it only once in a commercial wine and didn't like it. Interesting that there are so many conflicting opinions. In another post I raised the issue of what caused this taste and it was uniformly informed it was the sorbate. Bubblegum is not a taste I want in my dry red wine or any wine actually.

Last edited:
I have a question---exactly HOW much sorbate is in these packets? Has anyone ever measured it? The dose for sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gallon. We never use more than that and like I said before--I have never tasted bubblegum in any of our wines and I have a pretty sensitive pallete.

sgift--I have no doubt that the flavor is because of an over dose of sorbate. I would not just add the whole packet of sorbate again, to future kits. Measure it out for the quantity of wine you have.

Mosti Mondiale packages 4 grams per package for 6 gallons. Cellar Craft (now Vineco) packages 5.5 grams per package for 6 gallons.

This is good to know(only sorbate after wine is very clear) as some of my wines I have added it before it is clear, ie: Dragon Blood.
Dave's recipe calls for adding K-Meta, sorbate and Sparklloid all in one step.

I believe this was also true with my RJS OVZ and Super Tuscan kits. If I recall they had you add it along with the K-Meta, chitosan and kieselsol.

Latest posts

Back