To sorbate or not to sorbate, that is the question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems to be of no help as 1/2 tsp is about 3 grams!!! If anything, it seems these packets are LOW on doseage for 6 gallons.

That seems to be of no help as 1/2 tsp is about 3 grams!!! If anything, it seems these packets are LOW on doseage for 6 gallons.

Do we know they use the same K-sorbate as the rest of us? Their formulation may be different than we all buy. After all we do recommend that you add the proper dose as instructed on the bag label. LD Carlson's sorbate may be different than XYZ Company. Just a thought.

No we do not. The packages are all sorta generically marked as "Sorbate" or "Potassium Sorbate". I have always wondered if Mosti Mondiale used something different as it was the main culprit for me. I have always added the package of Sorbate on any white wine (kit) that came with an F-pack of sorts and I never noticed the bubble gum aroma or taste but those have always been Cellar Craft, RJ Spagnols and WE.

Since they were all back sweetened the bubble gum taste could have been pushed to the background so much that you just can't pick it up anymore.

I would like to hear from folks who make dry wines. Do you pick up this aroma and taste after adding sorbate? If you did, does eliminating it remove the problem? If so any problems after aging? My assumption is full fermentation and good sanitation..... If you have used and detected the bubblegum mask, does it fade or integrate? How long might that take? Questions, questions, love to hear all this info.....thx in advance!

Yes to what Seth said. If your wine is completely dry with no residual sugar, you don't need sorbate. And of course, never sorbate a wine that has gone thru MLF.

Doesn't MLF happen during secondary and doesn't every kit recommend adding it after secondary?

Last edited:
You don't do MLF on any Kit. Kits are already balanced by the manufacturer. MLF is called a "secondary fermentation" of sorts.

Kit manufacturers coined the term "secondary" so it was easier to follow their directions. The term secondary is when you move the wine to glass or a better bottle etc from the "primary" or bucket. It does not mean there is any "secondary fermentation" going on. Its the same fermentation you started with, its just now finishing out in another vessel with an airlock and no headspace.

Latest posts

Back