The Great Blizzard of 08

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
Well we are experiencing accumulating snow here in South Louisiana. It very rarely happens here. While those up north may chuckle and I do as well as I am from Illinois and used to snow, it is shutting everything down here. We don't have salt for the roads or snow plows. They do spray some type of anti freeze on the bridges but it rarely works too well. It was a heavy flake fall and now is a heavy sleet. We have around 3" accumulation so far. Whoops, it is back to heavy flake snow. Whoops, I take that back. Heavy sleet now.

2008snow2.jpg

2008snow3.jpg

2008snow5.jpg

Its snowing on our Emergency Room ramp here Smurfe!
smiley1.gif

Gotta laugh, the last time it snowed here in December I got married 5 days later............ (insert feeling of impending doom here)
smiley36.gif

Are you sure it is southern Louisiana? Dang, that will probably stay on the ground all day, maybe even until the weekend. I just saw a mention on The Weather Channel that the Big Easy is getting a bit of snow!
smiley36.gif

We are too far inland here to get a lot out of this storm. It is only supposed to snow 5-8 inches here. Time will tell. A foot or two closer to the coast like in the Green and White Mountains.

Yeah, Gaudet there is in New Orleans. I am probably 30-40 miles from N.O. "as a crow flies."It is freezing rain here now so the nice fluffy snow is being melted or lets say diluted. It has been since 2002 there was any accumulation and they say 1988 since they had any like this. The kids are loving it.

There have been quite a few power outages and ours flashed a couple times. All those dead branches in the trees from the Hurricanes are getting loaded with ice and falling on lines. They just said on the news they actually have crews coming in from out of state to help restore power. I think there is like 50,000 households without power.

Oh, I forget. I am sure we will see Ramona post some pics of her beautiful plants out in the snow. I guess Houston got a good "blizzard" there as well. I believe the wife called her Mom who lives in Houston and she said it was snowing there. I tell you, I have been wanting to move back north and this makes me miss the winter even more.

Looks pretty, but it can stay away from here. I can't imagine what that much snow would do to our state. We have had a little rain and are expecting some more. Temps reached a high of 72 this morning around 7 and have been slowly dropping ever since. My boys are hating it because during the worst of the rain they had to drive to school (morning rush hour and its never fun) and no skipping out because they had finals and today was the last day of classes.
VPC
VPC

It is supposed to be back in the 70's here in a day or two. Will just bea mud mess for a while after.

Gloabal Warming at work again!

At least you guys can wait a few hours or days and be rid of it. This time of year we get an inch or two of snow almost daily and it doesn't leave until spring.

We had snow in Huntsville Texas. No pictures. The energy from the flash would have melted it. My daughter got me with a snowball IN THE TRUCK last last night. Should have washed her face in snow.

Smurfe, wonderful snow pictures!!!!! We had a "snow day" here in the high desert 2 winters ago. This is a picture of a "Shadow" UAV.
Hope we have a snow day this year!!!
smiley36.gif

20081211_130108_P1010005.JPG

Well they keep changing the forecast up here. They have moved the heavier snows inland to us. We are up to about a foot predicted now. Still isn't hitting the ground yet even though it is showing up on radar. I'm not so sure- the freezing rain line keeps moving further north and is upt to about 60 miles from here. I will let you know in the morning. The kids around here are all hoping for a snow day.

We are supposed to get the freezing rain!
smiley7.gif
Ill take a foot of snow over the freezing rain any day.

Northern Winos said:
That snow looks strange on those palm trees...

I bet it's all gone by now?????

Yup, pretty well all gone. There are a few small patches here and there but overall it is justa big, cold, mudhole now.
smiley19.gif

This has been a strange storm. You guys get all kinds of snow in the south, rain all the way up the eastern US sleet and freezing rain through much of New England and we only got a bit more than a little clipper system would give us. We ended up this AM with about 5 inches, but it has started snowing agin a bit ago, so who knows what it will end up as. The kids were dissapointed here in NY. Very few schools closed here, but about 400 closed across the lake. Seems like they close with just a light dusting!

Here is one picture of the vineyard in the snow.
20081212_083046_100_4751_Medium.jpg

Was -18°F during the night....warmed up to zero, but the wind has really picked up....feels like Hell Below Zero windchill.

Expecting heavy snow tomorrow and Sunday with a Blizzard Warning...-40°F winchills with Zero visibility...winds of 40MPH....steady falling temps...Expecting a HIGH</font> of -10° during the days next week.

Took the Gator and brought in bottles to wash and delabel, a bag of potting soil to play in....
smiley4.gif

Think we have enough wood in the furnace room for a couple weeks....would be happier if it was full...

So it goes on the Frozen Tundra of NW Minnesota....
ColdSmall.gif
ColdBig.gif

Apparently my wife is more organized than I am. who'dathunkit. Here is the great Blizzard of Huntsville Texas
20081212_100751_IMG_0150.jpg

20081212_100806_IMG_0149.jpg
20081212_100818_IMG_0148.jpg
20081212_100831_IMG_0146.jpg
20081212_100844_IMG_0145.jpg

I wish I had seen this yesterday! Here in Montana, yesterday, it was 48* ABOVE with clear blue skies! However, today, it is supposed to get up only to 30 -- our first daytime high below freezing, but Saturday night, it is supposed to get DOWN to -15 BELOW! (NW, that cold push through the midwest is supposed to envelope us by then!)
We have no snow, although maybe some later tonight, and my biggest fear is the cold without the insulating abilities of snow on the ground. Will be interesting to see how the pinot vines do!
smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back