Gemini go away

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another winter storm stretching from the Gulf to Maine is having a wide impact across the country just before Christmas. Tornado to rain to sleet, freezing rain and snow. What are you getting or what did you get from it.

Here we had a couple inches of snow Thursday night and then a misty rain freezing on all day Friday as the firemen fought the fire in my office building at home. Then overnight Friday all through Saturday it rained light rain. It had built up over a half inch of ice by evening and all the roads were shut down to normal traffic. We were expected to get rain all night and today on Sunday. Instead it turned to sleet at about 9 PM. We got an inch and a half of sleet overnight so that didn't build any more ice on the trees. It then rained for a few hours and left another quarter inch of ice on top of the sleet. The roads are passable now although treacherous and we have not lost power yet. In 1998 we had 3 inches of freezing rain and lost power for a week at my place.
Just a few more hours and we should be through it. I figure I will plow in the early afternoon so we can get out of the driveway. Sorry no pictures but the camera burned in the fire on Friday and my cell phone takes lousy pictures.

What's your story?

No fires here, thank goodness. I read of your office fire yesterday and was sorry to hear of it. I'm just glad no one was physically hurt. Lots of freezing rain here overnight. I just checked the map and the lake effect snow machine is going to turn on in a few hours. The temperature is going to hover right around freezing so it may be snow, ice or rain. Never a dull moment 25 miles east of Lake Michigan.

We had freezing rain/sleet for the past couple of days, but not much accumulation, perhaps a quarter inch. Finally, the snow started about midnight last night, and I woke up to about 6 or so inches, and it is still coming down.

Well we got over 70" of snow in my town over the last several weeks. It was cold and just kept accumulating. Then "BAMM" in came the warm front and rain. It's been in the 50,s and has rained non stop since Friday morning. Since the snow never warmed up and refroze, it quickly melted and was all gone by Saturday morning including the piles from snow plows. Our creeks, rivers and lakes are swelled as you can imagine and several roads are closed due to flooding. I'm not complaining at all as I'm happy to see all the snow disappear before we get some more later this week. I am also enjoying he 50° heat wave.

Same here Dan, been 63 the last two days and no stop to the rain. My driveway looks like a lake, dropping down tonight and by Tuesday the high is suppose to 21.

Paul , i was just thinking about the drive from miller field through the downtown underpass/overpass...i bet its tough in the snow...

Paul , i was just thinking about the drive from miller field through the downtown underpass/overpass...i bet its tough in the snow...

I am sure you're right! I just walk everywhere on days like today. We wound up with over 8", and it was pretty wet/heavy stuff. (It was a "panhandle hook" that got us.)

I live in Shorewood. I believe you know where that is -- it is just north of Milwaukee proper. It is about a 10 minute drive to downtown, but there is a ton of stuff within walking distance here. I have two grocery stores, including a mom-and-pop gourmet one, post office, restaurants, bars, men's store, insurance agents, architecture firms, two paint stores, medical offices, banks, etc., all within about a 1 mile radius.

Latest posts

Back