that time of year again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not Catholic, I was raised Lutheran and now I am (???).

As always, I attempt to add something in during Lent...I feel that by extending myself more than reigning myself in that I make a difference in the lives of those around me.

This year I have pledged to be kinder to those I see every day. The homeless, destitute, the mentally unstable. I see them so often on the bus, at work, and in life. I am working on my silent understanding and empathy v.s. my instinct to fix things for everyone.

For those who ride the bus through the 'core' areas, or work in downtown; I know you will understand what I'm trying (very poorly) to say.

To be honest to everyone, I do not do this for strictly religious reasons..

Sorry (in advance) for the length of this post...

When I was 19, I came home to fine my mother on the floor of our family room. She was having violent convulsions and was unresponsive.

I called for a ambulance, and they rushed her to the hospital. Once there, they had to apply restraints to keep her from flailing. I was worried sick..

After several hours of waiting and worrying, the doctor came out to tell us that my mother was stricken by a bad case of the DT's. This was how I found out my mother was an alcoholic. She was great a hiding it. Her preference was gin, which is hard to smell on ones breath.

After a wile I was allowed to visit her bedside, only to watch her hallucinate for several hours. Of all my memories, visiting her bedside would be the one I would like to erase the most.

My father's reaction was odd for me to take. He was, in his own way, supportive, but I could tell that this whole mess hurt him deeply. Since my Dad was never the "I love you" type of guy, I spent the next several months not knowing what to do or say.

They put my mother into rehab for 90 days. She came out clean and sober and she has not had a drink since. It has been 34 years sober for her.

So now I look inward. Alcoholism tends to run in families. My being a winemaker and having over 1,000 corked bottles of wine in the house might seem dangerous. So I impose rules on myself..

My first rule is "never on a school night", meaning that if I have work tomorrow, I do not drink. I adhere to this about 99.9% of the time, but there are a very few rare times when I might have a glass. This is usually when I have a thirsty visitor.

My second rule is to stay away from the hard stuff and simply stick to wine and beer. Sure, I know that wine will get someone just as drunk as, say, brandy, but a glass of wine can last a while, while a shot of hard stuff is over in seconds (or at least that is my thinking).

The third is to give up all alcohol for lent. Yes, I do believe in God, but this is really a "kill two birds with one stone" type of thing. It is also about seeing just how hard it is to give alcohol up for an extended period of time. I honestly fear having to go through what my mom went through. If I find that giving it up for lent is difficult, then I will have an early warning of a potential problem.

Sorry to get so deeply personal, but I figured that I should share with you kind folks. Each year I am surprised that giving it up is not so hard, and knowing this alieviates any worries of me becoming like Mom. With no worries, I can relax, sit back, and enjoy a glass.

John, I too come from an alcoholic situation. My dad and my mom divorced when I was 3, my dad fell into a bottle and didn't climb back out until my brother was killed in a motorcycle accident and that brought him "home". They found each other again and he climbed out just as quickly as he fell in. I think he was trying to punish himself for leaving her but I'm not sure about that. He passed in Dec 2010. And she passed Jan 2012. I've always worried about it being in my blood but I've never had a problem. To where I couldn't just stop and walk away from alcohol.

I'm in.

But I have a day off on 2/27. :D

Birthday??

There are no rules here. Just set you own personal goal and go for it.

My goal is 40 days, but this year I have a vacation planned for the beginning of lent. No problem! I will just begin fast late and end my fast accordingly. In other words, my "lent" will extend past Easter.

Also, lent (ash Wednesday through Easter) is actually 46 days. There are 6 Sundays that are traditionally not considered as "Lent days". For me, the idea is to go 40 days without alcohol, so I include the Sundays, go a straight 40 days, and then give myself the option of ending my "fast" during Holy Week.

Birthday??

Nope. A get together with our old neighbors, who we haven't seen in quite a while. They love my homemade wines - especially the ports. So I'll bring some along, and enjoy a brief break from the break. :D

John, I also am giving up alcohol for Lent. I am also giving up junk food. I lost my job 2 years ago ( plant closed ) and gained several pounds due to eating and drinking too much. I have a new job and am trying to move on with my life. I know I still have a lot to be thankful for, and am trying to live like it. May God be with you.

Folks,

My lent begins today.

Last week I visited with my mom and dad in Florida. Dad (who has Parkinson's) was looking forward to sharing a glass of wine with me. I felt that this was important since it could be the last chance to share wine with him. Each night, Dad and I shared a glass and talked about the good old days. I would not have traded that time for anything.

So, now that I am back, it is time to do my 40 days!

So, lent begins today and will end for me on 4/1/2016 (April fools day). Thanks all for saving room on the wagon!

Going great. Tomorrow is my originally scheduled day off. :db It's going easier than I thought it would. It was tough last year. Having just bought a house and trying to get another ready to go on the market, I was stressed.

Although, I think I may have another day off next week. One of my oldest, closest friends has a fairly high up position in the government and is retiring to move on to private sector work. His change of command ceremony is next Friday, followed by a small celebration amongst a couple of us 'old high school buds' and spouses. I've asked the Pope for a special exception, but haven't heard back. :D I know, I know. There's always a reason to have a glass of wine. But this one only comes along once or twice in a person's life.

Last edited:
Good news,

The pope just called and I convinced him to grant you a special dispensation. :)

Yup, I know there can always be an excuse. Believe me, I had a dooozey that started my lent late.

So what do you plan on opening-up on your day off?! After 17 days I hope it's something special!!!!

Good news,

The pope just called and I convinced him to grant you a special dispensation. :)

Yup, I know there can always be an excuse. Believe me, I had a dooozey that started my lent late.

So what do you plan on opening-up on your day off?! After 17 days I hope it's something special!!!!

Well, we're getting together with our old neighbors tomorrow. They are HUGE fans of the RJS Port Style wines, as well as most of my other homemade stuff. I'm bringing some Orange-Chocolate and Black Forest port. I will also either bring some Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot (I have a 1.5L bottle waiting for just such an occasion), or my 2013 Carmenere.

Day 17 (for most) and Day 5 (for me)

How is everyone taking the Lenten vow doing??

I didn't give up alcohol as you have. I have sworn off all forms of sweets and processed foods, ice cream, candy, chocolate, cake, bread, chips. If you can't pick it or kill it, I don't eat it. Pretty much leaves you with seafood, poultry, meat, fruits and veggies. Most of all, I miss Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia............

Got through the weekend without a drop!

This was easy, but perhaps the one weekend where I would have missed alcohol the most. On Saturday, I had my Niece's engagement party and last night the family got back together again for a joint "February Birthday" dinner. I think that I impressed my cousin. He said: "This weekend should count as at least 10 days of your "fast".

Day 8 and I am doing just fine...

My night off was good, but it was back 'on the wagon' yesterday. I opened a split of the 2014 Zin for my Dad when he was over and did steal about an ounce, as it was just recently bottled and I just had to see how it was doing. Otherwise, I've been a good boy. ;)

Got through the weekend without a drop!

This was easy, but perhaps the one weekend where I would have missed alcohol the most. On Saturday, I had my Niece's engagement party and last night the family got back together again for a joint "February Birthday" dinner. I think that I impressed my cousin. He said: "This weekend should count as at least 10 days of your "fast".

Day 8 and I am doing just fine...

Special occasions are a secret weapon, you overcame like a champ!:db

Toasting with another liquid, still means Cheers.

Back