that time of year again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
day 16 of my lent, and I am still master of my own domain! With a plan to start bottling on palm Sunday, I will need to bottle, but not drink any wine!!! This is bad since I like to taste the wines before I bottle them. I did an "around the world" tasting on super bowl Sunday, and found all of the 2014s ready to go. Still, I would like to be sure of the wines before I give it out to the family.

I dunno, do you folks think that I would violate my Lenten vows if I tasted using the sip/swirl/spit method??

I dunno, do you folks think that I would violate my Lenten vows if I tasted using the sip/swirl/spit method??

I don't think so. My personal take on it is a 'taste' (which is usually only an ounce or so) is not a problem. I tasted my Zin before bottling a few weeks ago. And I will have to taste my 2015 Cabernet in the next few days to see if I was successful in reducing the acidity with potassium carbonate. But that doesn't mean that I should be pulling an ounce from all three of my barrels, and all 8 carboys at once either. I don't spit though.

What happens in the tasting room / stays in the tasting room.
I certainly cannot cast a stone.:h

I don't think you are violating your lenten vows, John.What you were doing by checking the wine was for the sake of others. in many cases(no pun intended) what you were doing was also a blessing for those bottles that you will share with others.If you have not thought of this before, I think it makes you closer to Christ. Just a few thoughts.

Blessings

Corinth

Last edited:
Day 34 (for those that started on ash Wednesday). Next Tuesday can be considered as the end of your lent (since Ash Wednesday to Easter is 46 days and not 40.

Day 22 (for me). My lent continues through to the Friday After Easter (4/1). Just 18 more days!

So far, so good. I have gone through an engagement party, A combined family birthday party, 4 get-togethers with my brothers, and a visit with my sister in law. All without having so much as a drop.

Another big trial will be next Saturday when the family gathers to begin bottling the 2014.

Day 34 (for those that started on ash Wednesday). Next Tuesday can be considered as the end of your lent (since Ash Wednesday to Easter is 46 days and not 40.

Day 22 (for me). My lent continues through to the Friday After Easter (4/1). Just 18 more days!

So far, so good. I have gone through an engagement party, A combined family birthday party, 4 get-togethers with my brothers, and a visit with my sister in law. All without having so much as a drop.

Another big trial will be next Saturday when the family gathers to begin bottling the 2014.

I've begun my countdown. But I'm down to '1'. One weekend remaining. :db

Thumbs up!! No one can say your not being tempted, Wow!!

8 days and counting. Last week, I took a bottle of the 2014 Amador Zinfandel I bottled last month and put it in the wine fridge in preparation for next Friday evening. I think I'll cook a nice steak dinner to go with it. The little taste I took at bottling made me set aside 4 unlabeled bottles for competitions. We'll see next week if I was right, or just enjoying that little sip too much due to my abstinence. :)

Last edited:
Jim,

By my count, your 40 days are over! Do me a favor and report back with the wine that you choose as the "Fast-breaker". If you feel charitable, please post a picture of it.

I am very proud of you! Congratulations and enjoy!

I am on day 29. Just 11 more to go. A week from Friday will see me sippin on something grand!

Back