Tannin in our PEE?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Is there anything to be said about adding tannin to skeeter Pee or any other "citrus" wine. I bought a pack to use in the rose hip flower wine and was thinking about trying it in the next batch of pee?

It most likely will just add a little body to it so it sure wouldnt hurt it at all.

I have used tannin "blind" in a recipe that called for it.

As much as I know about wine making, I need to learn more about tannin and acid balance.

I fel like I have been making hooch all this time, even though all of my wine ha came out fine.

I am glad I have chose a woman more familiar with wine making than myself.

Now I will have someone to wine with, although she may not like my complaining!! LOL

So with the Tannin. The pack says 1/2 teaspoon max per gallon. That is kind of arbitrary. Is there a better way to determine how much to add?

A cup of strong tea will do the same job.
Tannin does give a nice body:: to a wine honey. Try it and note the difference.

Okay.LOL.

But it says no more than, so in what instance would you use less?

What would the results be if you used more than was necessary?

Is there any way to determine how much to add lke there is away to test and determine how much acid to add?

Should it be added before fermentation? Or could it be added later if it was determined it could use some?

What wines would benefit from the addition of tannins? Grapes dont need it, or do they.

My current batch of ginger pee is at 1.030, is it to late to add some?

Please advise. I am learning something new here. I don't mean to question the snot out of you hear, but I am sincerely wanting to hear what you all think.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would use less in a wine that is already high in tannins such as a wine with lots of skins being fermented on like Elderberries which has more skin then berry.

Gotcha, so could I add some to a wine like this pee at 1.030. or is it too late and it should have been added before fermentatin begins?

Have you tried to add more than that Dan? The package(this is a Brewcraft product) says no more than 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Have you tried the pee without it? And have you noticed a difference after using it?

Wouldn't what?

Did you make a pee without it and then noticed a difference on a subsequent batch after using it?

I wouldn't add more than 1/4 tsp to 5 gallons. The lemon would be tart enough.

Tannin wont add to the tartness will it? Did it make it MORE tart after you added it?

If it was tart to begin with, and then you added tannin, and dont want to add more because you think it would add to the tartness, why add any at all.

Please explain Are you confusing acid with tannin?

Tannin wont add to the tartness will it? Did it make it MORE tart after you added it?

If it was tart to begin with, and then you added tannin, and dont want to add more because you think it would add to the tartness, why add any at all.

Please explain Are you confusing acid with tannin?

No honey. It won't add to the tartness.

Leanne you make a lemon wine(sort of a pee), but you use fresh lemon.

Do you add any tannin powder or the tea to yours, do you think it is necessary.

I already love my pee, but if th addition of something silple like a little tannin can improve it, I would sure be interested in haring of it.

Where is LON?!!!

Leanne you make a lemon wine(sort of a pee), but you use fresh lemon.

Do you add any tannin powder or the tea to yours, do you think it is necessary.

I already love my pee, but if th addition of something silple like a little tannin can improve it, I would sure be interested in haring of it.

Where is LON?!!!

Sweetheart, my lemon/ginger wine is much different to sp. I do add tannin or a cup of strong tea. It adds body and brings out the flavour.

Eacjh tannin product is usually very different from another and usually derived from another source also just like many other products. Some may be much more astringent then others and thats probably what Dan has. I have the Scotts Tan Cor Grand Cr and that has directions like Dans with very little being added but Ive also had something similiar to what you have and added quite a bot to one fruit wine (even exceeded the recommended dosage) and didnt notice any difference.

Back