Suisun Valley Petite Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the sg this morning and .991 was the reading so pressed and got 4.75 gallons of free run juice and another 1.5 gallons of lightly pressed juice. I added the .25 of pressed juice to the other and have another gallon jug and a 750ml bottle. I added Wyeast liquid MLF tp them just a little while ago and will add some pics in a few but left the camera downstairs and my backs killing me now.

looking great Wade...good luck with it all

ps..missed you this summer :)

I must say who ever designed these presses really needs to rethink their
work! Why in Gods name isnt it at least tall enough to put a 5 gallon
bucket underneath!!!!!!!!!!!! I put the press on my
roll around fermenting table so that I could put a bucket under the
press to catch the juice. If not making the press tall enough to do so
they should at least sell something like they do for woodworking
equipment to roll this around and make it tall enough to do so. Ill have
to make something out of wood for just this.

Al, I just never had enough time or freedom to get away with all my
wifes surgeries and everything!
20101016_175809_Picture_001.jpg

20101016_175720_Picture_002.jpg

make a stand for it...bolt to the stand and put two wheels on one side

i dont see any fruit flies...are you in some special antiseptic area? :)

I don't know how you pressed without that one leg falling off the table. I'm cringing looking at it teetering on the edge. Make a stand quick!

I leave mine on the floor and put the catch bin under it, then I just pour it into whatever I am putting the wine in.

0.991! wOw!

Thats pretty dry for sure.......

Aren't the grapes supposed to be below the wooden blocks!

I actually held it tight while doing any pressing! It looks worse then it was though looking at the pics now. Maybe I'll just drill some holes in this table for 3 bolts to slide in making the press not be able to fall over as the extra space on each side was nice!

I have the same press.
I bolted the legs to a triangular piece of plywood through ariser to get it high enough to get my brew kettle under it.
The plywood makes aplatform that I can get my hand truck under to move it around. Saves my back!!
BTW when finished, cleaned and dried, spray the screw and ratched down with cooking oil spray to keep it from rusting.

I actually have a can Food grade spray lubricant designed for machines in the food industry that prevents rust and corrosion.

Usingmy ratchet press really makes me want Santa to bring me a bladder press on his sleigh this Christmas!
smiley1.gif

It was added Sat. and I have do have the little ring of bubbles but its very slow. I also added ActiML with it. Im questioning my choice of MLB though as all they had was the liquid Wyeast so thats what I used which I really didnt want to. I cant see any bubbles as of yet rising, just that tell tale ring around the to but its early still.

visual signs of MLF can be very hard to see. You'll have to do chromatography tests instead to see if it's happening, but since you just added it, I'd give it a couple of weeks first.

Randoneur, you might want to reconsider your use of cooking spray on the equipment and switch to food grade lubricant. Cooking spray will actually start to plasticize over time and is a complete pain to remove once it hits that stage. Basically, it turns yellow, goes rancid, and then becomes hard rubber/plastic. I made all those same mistakes years ago.

Wade,
I am just starting my Suisun Valley PS. I got 22.5 brix and 3.4 pH. WOW you got your grapes early. If I remember correctly I think these are Suisun via Lodi but wouldn't testify to that. It's just what I remember. I made no adjustments and it's percolating nicely on the skins.

Jay

Thats what mine were to referring to Lodi and dont know where I got the info in the beginning that they were Lanza but they werent. My friend is still waiting for his Merlot as they havent picked them yet. Its hard to believe you just got yours seeing as how they are the same as mine. I wonder if they have been picking just what was ready on the same varietals just to appease the customers an get the grapes to as many of us as possible.

Latest posts

Back