Suisun Valley Petite Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Im going to pick up the last of my grapes in a few which are the some of the best grapes available to us I believe or so Ive been told by many a people who make them. Ill get back later with some pics and numbers for y'all!

That's my favorite wine variety. Dark, Thick, filled with fruit flavors!
Yes, we want photos!

I havent adjusted the numbers yet but so far they are 3.63 PH and .59 TA so adjusting should be fairly simple, I hope!
20101009_143413_Picture_001.jpg

20101009_143321_Picture_002.jpg

Wade they look great. That is one of the varieties I got last year.

Richard, I agree with you. PS is sooooooooo good!

Looks great Wade. Don't throw those lugs away. They are 10-12 dollars each and collapse for storage. They aren't as rugged as the hard plastic ones (molded), but a dollar or two cheaper.

What's the brix on them? I see some raisined ones in that cluster- probably about 26-28 brix.

Im waiting til tomorrow morning to do all the adjustments and didnt even take a Brix reading yet. I tasted them and they were sweeeeeeeeeeet though. Yes there were a few raisoned areas. Way more juice then the Merlot last weekend. If you want these lugs Rich i would be glad to send them to you and maybe even get you theb 2 from last week. You should have spoke up earlier as I already threw away the Chards lugs.

Will do, pm me your address again cause im sure not driving up there
again at least not to just drop them off!
smiley36.gif

Great grapes Wade!
What are you shooting for on the TA?

Should make some really good wine.

I like to follow the PH rule instead of TA rule and get a 3.5 or close and deal with the acid later but I dont go too far and dont take them above say .70. We'll see tomorrow as Im not sure I did a really good job at those numbers today, just played around a little tomorrow afternoon I get some more accurate #'s as solution I had for testing acid is older and may be out of date as my son spilled the last of the new stuff when helping me with the Merlot last weekend! The place I went to get my grapes this morning was just so jammed up I couldnt even get to the back of the store and when I finally had the chance I bought my BM45 yeast and forgot the rest of the stuff!
smiley26.gif
So basically to sum it up Ill probably try to get the ph to like 3.58 and leave it there and let MLf do the rest.

I made the Lanza Vineyards PS last year and it's now aging in a Hungarian oak barrel. I love it. My favorite wine of all. I had to get frozen must (to get it shipped to me) so it was pricey but I love this wine. I'm hoping to do another whenever I can afford it.

WOw!
smiley20.gif

Those look great! I don't think I would mess with em at all. Pretty darn close to perfect as is. Did those come from GP?

GP? Not sure what that means. Just got back from picking up some new supplies and darn if they didnt have some Chocolate Raspberry Port kits there!
smiley2.gif

Maltose Express is where I get my stuff locally. Yes, one of those port kits hi-jacked my trunk and stowed for the ride home!
smiley9.gif
Final numbers after a little adjusting where ph 3.55 and ta .64. 25 Brix. I didnt calibrate my meter yesterday and the numbers were a little off unless they changed over night which is easily possible since they were soaking with enzymes and also I just stuck the meter in the must yesterday instead of pulling a sample. I also discovered that they were just Suisun valley grapes and not Lanza Vineyards which doesnt mean that much to me but I swear thats what the lady said yesterday.

Those are pretty nice numbers for PS! All you need now is a nice french oak MT/TH barrel!

Actually looking to get a Hungarian barrel at the minute and a American.

Latest posts

Back