Planning for small vineyard in southern Arizona

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twkundrat

Reaction score
I'm thinking about planting a small number of grape vines (probably around 15) in my backyard just southeast of Tucson, AZ. Right now I'm trying to decide on the best variety and rootstock and the best place to order them from. I'm leaning towards Cabernet Sauvignon and 1103p rootstock. I'm also hearing that a few Arizona wineries are making some very good Syrah wines.
My elevation is right around 3100 feet and temperatures range from the low 20's to around 110+ degrees. The soil is sandy with some clay but fairly well draining and on the alkaline side. I've been told by some people with vineyards fairly close by that I would want a rootstock that is resistant to Pierce's disease.
I have been looking at Double A in New York and a couple of nurseries in California. Would there be any advantage to order from California being that the climate is a little more similar to Arizona than New York?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about planting a small number of grape vines (probably around 15) in my backyard just southeast of Tucson, AZ. Right now I'm trying to decide on the best variety and rootstock and the best place to order them from. I'm leaning towards Cabernet Sauvignon and 1103p rootstock. I'm also hearing that a few Arizona wineries are making some very good Syrah wines.
My elevation is right around 3100 feet and temperatures range from the low 20's to around 110+ degrees. The soil is sandy with some clay but fairly well draining and on the alkaline side. I've been told by some people with vineyards fairly close by that I would want a rootstock that is resistant to Pierce's disease.
I have been looking at Double A in New York and a couple of nurseries in California. Would there be any advantage to order from California being that the climate is a little more similar to Arizona than New York?
I'm up in Utah, not quite as hot as your location. I used Double A, first order was 20 vines, they have all done well. Don't know if CA would have been better...

Good luck, I'm really pleased with my 28 vines. I really enjoy almost all aspects of the growing, maintenance process, and think they look great when healthy.

I’m on the East Coast but Double A has been fantastic. Shipping is correct, down to the minute. Customer service is fantastic AND you get a live person on the phone. Granted they are in NY but I’d still go for it in AZ, I’ve bought 2.25 acres of vines from them and never had a complaint. Any vine that has not broken shoots by June (I think) will be replaced.

Nice to hear that Double A is a good outfit to deal with. I probably will end up ordering from them. Anybody have any input on rootstock for my application? I've heard 1103p is drought resistant and resistant to Pierce's disease so that all seems good. I think I remember reading somewhere that 1103p doesn't love alkaline soil. Does anyone have any idea if that could be an issue? I imagine I might want to be amending the soil to add some acidity anyway.

I’m in AZ, but higher elevation of 5800 ft in Strawberry — where you shouldn’t try growing wine grapes. I have 100 vines, 25 each Marquette, Cab Franc. Cab Sav, and Malbec. Pierce’s disease not so much of an issue with getting below 10 deg in winter. All on own rootstalk so if bad late freeze they just shoot out suckers. For this reason I bought Marquette from Double A and test from Current Availability - Inland Desert . If your worried about Pierce’s disease it’s less about rootstalk as bacteria is in vine itself. There are new varieties specifically created, ironically by cross breeding with AZ wild grape. See Pierce’s disease-resistant grape varieties give growers hope. If you are happy with a graft Double A is way to go, Inland min qty is 25. All this said, what I love about this hobby is commercial vineyards are happy to help us out. I found about no graft and Inland by cold calling some vineyards in Idaho with similar weather. Give the local vineyards a visit and learn what they plant, why, where they get it and any other hints and tips.

I have a 4 year old Vineyard just outside of Sierra Vista not far from you. I bought my vines from Grey Creek viticulture in California and was very happy with them. They cater to small and hobby vineyards.

I’m in AZ, but higher elevation of 5800 ft in Strawberry — where you shouldn’t try growing wine grapes. I have 100 vines, 25 each Marquette, Cab Franc. Cab Sav, and Malbec. Pierce’s disease not so much of an issue with getting below 10 deg in winter. All on own rootstalk so if bad late freeze they just shoot out suckers. For this reason I bought Marquette from Double A and test from Current Availability - Inland Desert . If your worried about Pierce’s disease it’s less about rootstalk as bacteria is in vine itself. There are new varieties specifically created, ironically by cross breeding with AZ wild grape. See Pierce’s disease-resistant grape varieties give growers hope. If you are happy with a graft Double A is way to go, Inland min qty is 25. All this said, what I love about this hobby is commercial vineyards are happy to help us out. I found about no graft and Inland by cold calling some vineyards in Idaho with similar weather. Give the local vineyards a visit and learn what they plant, why, where they get it and any other hints and tips.
Thanks for the info. I have also found that the local commercial vineyards are willing to help whenever I've asked for advice. My problem is that I need to write down what they say because I always think I'll remember it but then I forget half of what they say.

I have a 4 year old Vineyard just outside of Sierra Vista not far from you. I bought my vines from Grey Creek viticulture in California and was very happy with them. They cater to small and hobby vineyards.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out. Do you have any specific advice as far as pest or disease control or soil amendment for our area?

Thanks for the info. I have also found that the local commercial vineyards are willing to help whenever I've asked for advice. My problem is that I need to write down what they say because I always think I'll remember it but then I forget half of what they say.

Most smartphones these days have a Voice Memo app of sorts. Politely ask if they mind and then start the app. Works great for things like that, important Dr's appointments etc.

I have vineyard experience in your area actually I work at a winery not far from you, we are the only winery in the area, but grape growers in southern Arizona face a lot of copper in the soil which comes through in the wine and it ends up with a aggressive copper penny taste, super metallic like blood.

I have vineyard experience in your area actually I work at a winery not far from you, we are the only winery in the area, but grape growers in southern Arizona face a lot of copper in the soil which comes through in the wine and it ends up with a aggressive copper penny taste, super metallic like blood.
Make sure to get a soil test, so you know what you are up against. I lucked out with nothing huge and the report comes with suggested amendments and amounts. With small home vineyard you can make adjustments that are impractical for commercial vineyard. A hard to fix soil issues after vines are in the ground.

Charron Vineyards I assume? I actually proposed to my wife there. Interesting info about the copper.

Make sure to get a soil test, so you know what you are up against. I lucked out with nothing huge and the report comes with suggested amendments and amounts. With small home vineyard you can make adjustments that are impractical for commercial vineyard. A hard to fix soil issues after vines are in the ground.
Did you take soil samples to somewhere local or did you use one of the mail in testing places? I've seen a couple online that are very reasonable.

I just saw that Double A Vineyards sells a soil testing kit where you send them a sample for analysis for $30. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Looking forward to following along and seeing how your mini vineyard developes. I put in 18 5 gal. Zinfandel vines in the spring and they had a great first year of growth. Similar Elevation though slightly cooler region up here in the Verde Valley. Best of luck to you Tim.

Looking forward to following along and seeing how your mini vineyard developes. I put in 18 5 gal. Zinfandel vines in the spring and they had a great first year of growth. Similar Elevation though slightly cooler region up here in the Verde Valley. Best of luck to you Tim.
Verde valley is possibly the best current wine region in the state because it’s cooler. Though the issue is that all the winemakers in Arizona lack experience enough that nobodies wines impressed me it’s still a fledgling inexperienced industry in the state.

I misread your earlier post. Thought you were saying you worked at the only winery in my area. They are right up the road from me.
Ah, cool yeah no I meant where we are were the only winery.

I am interested to see how your vineyard goes, I would strongly suggest Spanish grape varietals or Italian to deal with the heat and get a good wine. As cab does not like heat I would look more along the lines of Grenache or Mourvèdre or something like that though Sangiovese is also a good pick.

Latest posts

Back