WineXpert Successive rackings to carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
When racking to carboys for the second round do you leave as much sediment in the first carboy so the second carboy has the least amount as possible?

Thanks for any help.

Not exactly sure what you are referring to with the second round but any racking of your kit wines after stabilizing and fining you should transfer all the liquid and leave the sediment (lees) behind. It is also important that your carboy is topped up within 2' of the airlock bung at this stage also to minimize oxygen exposure.

The kits I have require a second racking to carboys. I thought the lees should be left behind as much as possible.

Thanks

Every time you rack you should be leaving behind as much lees as possible.

With the wine kits, I recommend getting as much juice as you can from the first racking. That way you will not need as much wine for topping off later and the extra sediment will clear out, just fine.

If you are taking about racking from the primary fermation vessel to the carboy (when the S.G reaches around 1.020 or when the instruction say it's time) Leave as much behind as possible with out losing to much wine. If you suck up some sediments it's not the end of world. Each time you rack or transfer you should have less & less sediment or lee's

I always take as much liquid as possible, even if it means some lees go with it. I never bottle my wines for at least 4 months, longer for top end kits. If you want to bottle your wine in 28 days from starting, always leave as much lees behind as possible, you will lose4 to8 bottles of wine though. That's a lot of unnecessary wine loss.
smiley19.gif

Dave

Keep in mind that you can always use clean sanitized marbles to displace lose that may occur when racking. That way you dont have to top up. Just add marbles. Additional lees will go in between the marbles maying your next racking much easier to avoid sucking up sediment. I also occationally tie a piece of cheese cloth over the sucking side of the racking tube.

Pete

paubin said:
Keep in mind that you can always use clean sanitized marbles to displace lose that may occur when racking. That way you dont have to top up. Just add marbles. Additional lees will go in between the marbles maying your next racking much easier to avoid sucking up sediment. I also occationally tie a piece of cheese cloth over the sucking side of the racking tube.

Pete

You know, I tried to find some marbles the other day and couldn't find any. I looked in local stores you would think would have them like the dollar stores and such. Guess no one plays marbles anymore. I am pretty sure I can find them at a craft store like Hobby Lobby though. Where does those that use them find them at now? I think they would be indispensable for topping up wines that have no commercial equivalent.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

You know, I tried to find some marbles the other day and couldn't find any. I looked in local stores you would think would have them like the dollar stores and such. Guess no one plays marbles anymore. I am pretty sure I can find them at a craft store like Hobby Lobby though. Where does those that use them find them at now? I think they would be indispensable for topping up wines that have no commercial equivalent.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
[/QUOTE]

You can find marbles in florest supply stores...they put them in vases of flowers...Also try craft stores...they use them in stained glass crafts...they come in larger bags than a $ Store would have....

Thanks, I asked the wife and she told me basically the same thing you did. I will look at Hobby Lobby next time I make it into the big city.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

I get mine at WalMart but I have to pick some out. They have this version where the marble is rolled in pieces of other glass (like a blue marble dotted with yellow glass shards). They are rolled smooth but they have little crevices and I don't want to use them so the boys get those. I only use the solid smooth all over ones for my wine. I use the little ones for displacment in carboys and the big ones to hold down the straining bags during primary fermentation.

Marbles! I never liked adding water or wine to the kit I was making.

Let me get this straight. Instead of "topping" off I can add sanitzed marbles to my carboy to bring the wine up to the proper level - 2 inches below the stopper as per directions - right? I'm assuming that once you take up that space with marbles then you have to do it on the next racking and if youage your wine in the carboy then these marbles stay in til bottling?

Sounds like a lot of marbles but I like the idea.

Correct and if you have a carboy straw youll need a lot of marbles.

I get it. You raise the level of the wine with the marbles then adjustthe levelby drinking it down with the carboy straw. And if, by accident, you adjust the level to low, then you repeat the process.

I'm starting to learn from you guy's.

Thanks,

Jim

I just got married over the summer and we had some centerpieces on the tables that required a lot of marbles in vases. We shopped around ata lot of places and eventually bought from Wal-Mart. The small bags at Wal-Mart were $.99 while a comparable package of marbles at a hobby shop (Michael's or Hobby Lobby) was closer to $3. If you are looking to buy a lot, I would suggest the discount store route or youmay end up with a pretty hefty bill.

Latest posts

Back