Stupid or brilliant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got home, cracked a bottle of brunello, grilled a perfect burger, then spent the evening out on my deck.

At one point, I did what I always do. I began planning my weekend time so that I could get all I needed done before Monday.

Then it hit me. There are no more Mondays!

It was then that I just wanted to dance.

A fellow could get used to this!

Living the dream, John! Congratulations!

I occurred to me this morning that with your new found infinite spare time you should investigate starting a blog. You have such a wide spread collection of interests; food, heritage, family, music and maybe a kernel or two of wine knowledge to share. I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying your posts about each years crush. They always come off so vivid that I feel like I was hiding in a corner watching it all in person. No need to dedicate it to one subject or even write on a daily basis. I can guarantee you at least 3 or 4 followers right off the bat!:a1

so many options and so much time to play with them all,
Mike

The first days of retirement are blissful. It was the months before, that scared the Schmidt out of me! You are the kind of guy that will retire gracefully. You have enough hobbies and interests to keep you busy. You will look back a year from now and wonder how you had time for all this fun while you were working. (well, ok, you didn't) Enjoy retirement and congrats.....you made it!!!

Day 4.

To think that I was worried about staying active.

Yesterday I went down to help my brother plant 7 fruit trees.. then it was up to the community garden to help out some friends by rototilling their plot. I then gave my garden a good soaking. Then it was back to the house to shower and dress before heading out to the annual Lion's club installation dinner. Got back home by 10pm for a deep refreshing sleep.

Here is pic of the fruit trees.

IMG_20180621_082647.jpg

Last edited:
I was not. LOL I will have 33 years of my life spent here (plus 5 years were spent with Shell Development in Houston) so needless to say looking forward to moving on to the next chapter of my life like JT!

Between two expensive divorces earlier in my life, shrinking 401k's, wanton spending by offspring, rising costs of everything, I'll probably be retiring when I turn 115.

If I could I would retire this minute and never look back.

I have come to realize that retirement equals sacrifice.

My first brand-spanking-new car was a Mazda Miata. I only had junkers up until then.

I fell in love with this car once I saw it at the New York auto show back in 1989. There were no true roadsters on the market back then and I have been in love with them ever since I had my first car (a 1970 Opel GT).

Not wasting any time, I had my money down on one six months before they were even manufactured. As it turned out, mine was only the eighth one sold in the US.

I met my wife 3 days after getting my new miata. We had a great time in it. We did some shore runs, and several road trips. One trip, up to boston, was when I decided that this was the girl I was going to marry.

I have hung on to it over the years, never being able to bring myself to sell it. I guess that the car had too much sentimental meaning to me. I could not sell her even though it has been sitting in my garage, never being even started, for over 20 year.

We had to keep up insurance on that car all that time. I had to face the fact that the car was an unneeded expense and had to go. About the same time, my nephew suggested that fixing the car up would be fun. That got me thinking. I could always simply give the car to him and my niece (the daughter I always wanted). This way the car would be well cared for and be enjoyed.

He took possession on Sunday. The car has really been sitting around too long. A family of rats made the engine block their home and the whole car was layered by a 1/4" coat of dust. The first thing he did was to take it to a U-DO carwash.

Here is a pick of the car out of the garage.....

IMG_20180701_084552813[1].jpg

Here is a shot under the hood. Rats!!!!!

Pic2.jpg

And here is a shot after he washed it. Got to say.. looks good for a 29 year old car with its original paint job!

pic3.jpg

He has promised to let me drive it once it is all fixed up. I will be kind of neat taking my bride out for a spin once again.

I graduated college not long after that, John. And the Miata was almost my first car. I'm sure she'll clean up beautifully and bring many more years of joy to her new owners.

Wow, great story with a fantastic ending! I too have had my share of 2 Seat Roadsters. 1st car ever was a used 73' Opel GT (like this one) as well!

1970-Opel-GT-For-sale.JPG

Back