Stupid or brilliant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, for what it is worth, I have never had anyone tell they wished they had not retired. I have had a LOT of folks tell me DO IT NOW!

Good luck in this new phase of your life. I predict great success and happiness for you!

John, I'm comfortable predicting success and a greatly reduced stress/frustration level in your day to day life. That's a win no matter how you cut it. It also sounds like you've got a pretty accurate handle on the where your work environment was leading and you rode your career there about as far as possible. Congrats!
Mike

At some time, you will be glad you did it. Getting comfortable with retirement takes time. The day after I retired, I got to feeing real comfortable after about 3 minutes.

Seriously, you will be fine.

Congrats on taking a stand! I too retired earlier then planned due to circumstances and have not regretted it once. Now you have more time for new hobby or two.

My wife told me I could retire. I’m just not allowed to stop working. She said we’d both go crazy.

Once I retire from my state job, I was thinking of hanging out a shingle or going to work for the DA’s office and out bad guys in jail.

Good luck!

So here I am, at work and waiting for my two week's notice to expire. I half expected them to simply lock me out and show me the door. I should be so lucky.

I think that says more than anything else you said. Sounds like your employer is going to squeeze everything and anything they can from you. In other words, not a company which treats employees as valued human resources. In other words, cheap SOBs. That alone is a good enough of an excuse to leave, IMHO.

Two weeks notice is not warranted any more if they where laying you off they wouldn't give you two weeks why give it to them I would walk out and not look back........Go home and enjoy some of your own wine.

OK, so the plan...

- Over the next year, get the NJ house in shape to sell.
- Sell the house and move to the mountains of Georgia. We already own a lake house there.
- Purchase a "Damn Yankee" shirt. (I hear they make newcomers wear them).

- Then do whatever it takes.. Bargain, Beg, Plead, Eat Ground Glass ... and get a job at one of the many wineries in the area. This would be my dream job. Money is not really important. I just want to be connected with the industry. I would work for grapes and just for the love of it! To be working for an real commercial outfit (although my operation was just about as close as an amateur can get) would be amazing. I would love to work in a tasting room and be able to pour and talk wine all day!!!!

Any advice folks?? Any one looking for an entry level, slightly out of shape, opinionated 56 year old????

Last edited:
I had an unforced error (I fell from the top of a ladder and broke a bunch of stuff) and that put a swift end to my wireless networking career. Now it's nothing but winemaking (and drinking).
The stupid or brilliant part is entirely up to you. Hoping it lands on the brilliant side for you John.

Latest posts

Back