Stupid or brilliant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any one looking for an entry level, slightly out of shape, opinionated 56 year old????
When you find that job, see if they want a younger, out of shape, opinionated 55 year old...good luck, you've got to get out of the boat to walk on water. I think you just took that first step, congratulations!

Oh, I forgot to answer the question. My vote is on brilliant.

I quit my job today
Good man. I busted out of mine five years ago and have never looked back. I had worked hard far too long. Paid too much tax and got sick of looking at people enjoying elements of freedom that were beyond me because of my single minded focus on work and ensuring happy employees. When I finally focussed on myself I realised how naive I had been. So good on you John T.

When I retired, the only annoyance I experienced was the feeling that I was invisible. It is a weird experience. Airports, shops etc... you felt that people were thinking less of you and you recived a lower level of recognition and service. But after a year of it, you don't care. You go with the flow and start to enjoy books,live music, theatre and other projects that you have long forgotten about.

I would love to work in a tasting room and be able to pour and talk wine all day!!!!

You too?

The owner of a vineyard I am taking care of came for a short vacation this week. And we were in the vineyard discussing the vines, and the work I was doing, and I realized after an hour I was doing all the talking. :h

Aaaaaahem!

Umm, ahem ahem. John, you know I like you and wish you nothing but the best in retirement, but you also know that you flagrantly broke your word about wearing the shirt. As an inducement for us to invest in Rich, you promised to wear the shirt for 24 hours. Then you admitted that you did not do what you promised to do. So, please do NOT "ahem" me.

Last edited:
And this to shall pass and you'll grow even stronger in knowing you can do it on your own. You don't need luck ,just a plan.

Umm, ahem ahem. John, you know I like you and wish you nothing but the best in retirement, but you also know that you flagrantly broke your word about wearing the shirt. As an inducement for us to invest in Rich, you promised to wear the shirt for 24 hours. Then you admitted that you did not do what you promised to do. So, please do NOT "ahem" me.

Your honor, I have to ask as the defendant ... When did I ever day 24 hours?

But that is just a side issue. If it pleases the court, I might also ask of the intent of the contract offered. Ultimately, the goal was to help out one of our own offering to abase myself for the amusement of others in exchange. To this end, members of the jury, I believe that contract was fulfilled.

I would also point out to the court that there was mention of exactly what form of proof was required or spelled out clearly, effort was made and I do believe that the photos posted upheld the spirit of the contract.

Finally, I do say that (after suffering the financial burden of having to purchase the shirt) that I did wear the shirt for an entire day. I did not sleep in the shirt because I like to just sleep in my skivvies....

(Good luck getting that picture out of your head).

So, to sum up, I did purchase and abase myself with the shirt. I also posted it so that there is a permanent record that will haunt me the rest of my days. I do believe.that the spirit of the contract was upheld. I also point out that the charitable act of promoting the advancement of one of our members in no way benefitted me.

Thus, there was no quid pro quo, and, therefore, nullifies any claim made against me.

What are we saying here? What is the message. Do not get involved and do charitable acts?

I kindly ask the court to recognise my efforts to work for the common good and that the contract fully satisfied.

The defense rests.

Last edited:
Your honor, I have to ask as the defendant ... When did I ever day 24 hours?

Exhibit A:

OK Folks..

I Will make it interesting..

If the goal is met, I will purchase the following and wear it for 24 hours...

Welch.jpg

Not even to mention the fact that all we got was a photo of a person (gender indeterminate), wearing the Welch’s shirt, and a New Orleans Saints style brown paper bag, thus concealing identity. Good cause or not, the masses were unsatisfied......:s

Ok, I see the problem.... You do take into account the fact that time is relative. It bends and stretches . Therefore, your argument, sir, is unfounded. If, say, I was orbiting the event horizon of a black hole, and you were on Earth, one hour to you could be several million years to me. It is a hard proven fact that time is not constant.

I submit that i did not say 24 hours at a specific location, therefore your argument, sir, is unfounded.

I could further argue that I wore that itchy, nasty rag far longer than a mere 24 hours (when you take a broader view of things)

Sorry, but physics is physics and there is no getting around the laws that govern the reality bubble in which we all reside.

Last edited:
Not even to mention the fact that all we got was a photo of a person (gender indeterminate), wearing the Welch’s shirt, and a New Orleans Saints style brown paper bag, thus concealing identity. Good cause or not, the masses were unsatisfied......:s

Gender Indeterminate??? Seriously???? :)

Last edited:
And this started off with your retirement? ????¿ How has the wine making going and are you going slow down on that, your reds where outstanding as I remember.

I realize that I am arguing physics with a Welches lover, but please try to keep up.

Gender Indeterminate??? Seriously???? :)

OK, so that MAY have taken it a bit too far.......... Seriously though, you're a good sport, and a good dude, I wish you the best in your "retirement", though I suspect that for you, retirement only means the lack of a formal place to show up every day 9-5 and grind, you'll land on your feet doing what you enjoy, hopefully at a winery. Cheers to you John!!

And this started off with your retirement? ????¿ How has the wine making going and are you going slow down on that, your reds where outstanding as I remember.

Thanks for the complement Joe.

For this year, I am not going to have a crush. I already have WAY more wine than I could ever drink in a lifetime.

Normally, I make about 20 or 30 cases of wine for my own personal use. A surprising amount is simply given away. For example, the local fire department is throwing a week long carnival. I am supplying them with 2 cases to enjoy after hours.

I went heavy in 2016 and 2017. We are about to start bottling the 2016 and my share (across all varietals plus Chilean) is about 60 cases. Last year, I did the same.

My mantra is "Family does not go thirsty". I made extra to tide the family over until we start back up again. This will be in 1 or 2 years.

The plan is for my niece and her husband to take over the operations. I will make the trip up here several times a year until they are ready to run things.

As for myself. There are a number of wineries where I am moving to. I want to arrange a deal for grapes and then make, perhaps, a demijohn per year.

I will still be in the game.

Latest posts

Back