Stupid or brilliant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need more facts. Can you post recipe? Current ph , TA?
How much longer till full pension? Staying retired or need new source of income?
Level of disdain at position? Has it gone thru MLF? Quality of life improved? Many many variables —. But knowing you, I’d say it was well thought out. Just let it age longer. Everything will balance and fall into place.

Brilliant.

My theory of life is that everything we choose to do is to maximize our happiness. Since you made the choice to quit your job, you were doing so because it would make you happier.

Brilliant. Congratulations John!

o-LOTTERY-WINNER-facebook.jpg

After reviewing my options with several retirement gurus. I became self-employed. Now, I still work with the same company, doing the same thing. But, now, it's my idea. I'm driving this bus, not them. Whole different attitude now!

Brilliant or stupid.... you made your choice and I support that choice. Being married to a red-head, I have to ask....what did the wife say? There is your real answer!

Brilliantly stupid?
Just kidding - I enjoy self-employment far more than working for someone else.
Nice going!

It is now your decision to be brilliant or stupid - the attitude you take now will determine that.

You are now a valuable free agent who might be available to the highest bidder - but only on your timing and terms - and only if the situation is right for you - not just right for the needs of someone else.

Or you can decide to do your own thing - it’s very possible to follow your passions and make money.

Make your decision be brilliant.

911F80A9-D3FE-4230-902A-A587483632A9.jpeg
Miserable for years. On Friday I just had one of those days where I just couldn't take it anymore. After talking to my wife and being pushed over the edge I decided it was time to go.

Please tell me you made a grand exit- Jerry McGuire style. My wife had an opportunity to do this but didnt. She said nothing. I lost my mind when she told me.

Last edited:
It was one of those days. Frustration was building for the past year and on Friday it all came to a head.

I have been in IT for 31 years. My career is older then most of those that I work with.

Running the risk of sounding like a bigot, our IT department is populated predominately with Indians (80%). This has me at a high disadvantage when it came to communication. They found it hard to understand me and I definitely found it hard to understand them. Mostly, they speak Hindi. Mostly they mistrust those that do not.

The level of favoritism based on nationality has reached blatant proportions. Just take a look at the last 5 people to leave our department (in order)..

Middle aged native born American (White male)
Middle aged native born American (black female)
Me

I have no doubt that one by one, they are squeezing out the older native born Americans. This was simply my turn.

My plan was to retire in one year. I have recently came into a modest inheritance from my father. This enabled me to accelerate my plans. The real shame is that my career had to end in such an ugly way.

So here I am, at work and waiting for my two week's notice to expire. I half expected them to simply lock me out and show me the door. I should be so lucky.

Sorry it had to end that way, John. But congratulations on your early retirement. Enjoy these next two weeks, having comfort that they are your last.

Latest posts

Back