Chemical and additive organization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish this was one of those posts sharing a great idea, but I don't have one.

I started with little bags of k-meta and other additives, but I am getting more and more supplies all the time. Oak cubes, a 1lb bag of pectic enzyme, 8 oz K-meta... on and on. Does anyone have anything brilliant to offer. I was thinking spice jars might be an option.

I have some bags that are sealed and cut open and the little spills and picking through all the bags to find what I want is getting old.

Dazzle me with your brilliance!

Please. ;)

To the extent possible original containers are used. Sorbate can pick up humidity, that bag sits in a glass gar with metal lid. They live on spice racks and bulky oak cubes in wire baskets from HomeDepot.
A creative club member has hers in mechanics tool chests where they lie flat.

Last edited:
I use the small ziplock bags the additives come in, when they do. Press the air out, and keep them in a dark drawer or other container.

Things that don't come in ziplock bags? For things like corks, I cut a corner, and when done, roll the bag to press out air, and seal with office binder clips.

Air and light are the typical enemies.

I also buy in relatively small quantities vs. the amounts I use, e.g., sorbate in the smallest bag I can get vs. K-meta in 8 oz bags.

Its odd you bring this up because its been on my mind for the past couple of months.

I have old stuff in small bottles and newer stuff in small bags. After reading some of the post by more experienced members over the past few months, I'm throwing most of my stuff in the trash and buying new at the end of this year. Might buy some new containers and plan to mark the date on everything. I'm taking better wine making notes, but taking care of my chemicals is a different story!

I usually transfer chemicals and additives into glass jars. Depending on what it is, it might last for a long time in a glass jar. I have also kept organic nutrients like Go Ferm and Ferm-O in the fridge. I think they last longer that way.

If air is the main enemy, what about vacuum sealing smaller quantities from a larger container?

I wonder if anyone has studied this. It seems to me that some chemicals (e.g. acid blend) will keep much longer than others (e.g. nutrients?).

I wonder if anyone has studied this. It seems to me that some chemicals (e.g. acid blend) will keep much longer than others (e.g. nutrients?).
I check manufacturer spec sheets for info. Bentonite is good as long as it's granular, as it's clay. Other materials have a shelf life of 1 to 3 years, depending (this is a general statement, not a specific one). A lot depends on storage conditions. Vacuum sealing sounds good, although buying in quantities that will be used up within a year or so is probably a better solution, as long as your LHBS has good product turnover.

Sorbate has the shortest life that I know of, and is the most dangerous to let "expire". As has been noted in the past, when old sorbate is used, the problem is not discovered until corks start popping. I save the "stabilization" packets from kits and date them when I get them. These get binned 12-15 months later. I've probably got a handful that need to go now.

This weekend I'm planning to go through my drawer to see what's old, and probably bin a few things. I know I've got dribs and drabs that are 3+ years old.

Yes, smaller quantities - which is against my nature. (Sugar is in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids.)
Then into storage totes. 4-pack at Costco, I think they're 12 qt. And labeled - chemicals, airlocks, stoppers, cork, nomacorc, test equipment, and a couple others. Everything needs to be secure because I never know when a mouse will get into the basement.

Yes, smaller quantities - which is against my nature.
Yeah, I understand that. Growing up in a large family, we bought everything in bulk, both for need and for price. Mrs. WM81 and I still buy in larger quantities, as it's second nature. We are slowly adjusting to buying in bulk only the things we will use within a reasonable time.

Same for winemaking materials.

Back