Stupid or brilliant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man! Mine was black with a red interior.

Hardest part was finding parts.[/QUOTE]
Wow, great story with a fantastic ending! I too have had my share of 2 Seat Roadsters. 1st car ever was a used 73' Opel GT (like this one) as well!

1970-Opel-GT-For-sale.JPG

Just a quick update.

I have just gotten back from our house in Georgia. We were down there for the past 4 weeks. Unfortunately, there is not TV or WIFI. I hate to see my current cell phone data bill.

The last month I spent doing general fixing and repair. I resided the chimney, fixed a porch door, fixed the exterior railing, repaired a walkway, cleaned gutters, repaired a gazebo, and put a fair dent in the jungle that was once a back yard. At night, we just sat, sipped, looked out over the water, and took joy in a day's work well spent.

we did also manage to squeeze I some fun too. We visited 3 different wineries, mined for rubies, and took in some great southern food.

Sorry about not being around here much. Retirement is proving to be more active that I could have ever imagined. It is far better too!!

Hi Folks!

Just got back from Europe. Spent 14 days visiting Prague, then taking a river cruise down the Danube, then heading to Budapest to visit with my family there.

This was a great trip with my Mom, my two brothers, and my niece and nephew. The absolute highlight of the trip (for me) was visiting the family winery in Lovas. This cellar was dug in 1927 while the vines were originally planted in 1923. in the mid 50's the vineyard was dug up and replaced (you guessed it.. Pholoxera).
My cousin does a great job keeping the place well maintained. Here are pictures of the vineyard, cellar, still (he makes his own grappa), and the artisan oven.

IMG_20180820_111304913_HDR.jpg IMG_20180820_163735812.jpg IMG_20180820_185915427.jpg IMG_20180821_183147450_HDR.jpg IMG_20180821_183207444_HDR.jpg IMG_20180821_183313069.jpg IMG_20180821_183612370.jpg
IMG_20180821_183147450_HDR.jpg IMG_20180821_183207444_HDR.jpg IMG_20180821_183313069.jpg

Oh, the food I ate and the wines I sipped, and the sights I have seen!!! The trip of a lifetime!
Is this the same @JohnT that wondered if he did the right thing a couple of months ago? You're making quite a few of us look forward with anticipation to that day when we too can use the "R"-Word!

I have not been able to take more than a week off at a time for the last 31 years. It is nice to be able to finally take a long trip and not feel rushed!

The wines I have tasted were excellent! I tried using the vavino ap to find them in the states, but not a single wine I tasted was available. Strange how a country that produces fantastic wines never really found its way to the American market. Of the Hungarian wines I found in the States, not one could be called excellent. I am not sure why.

Visiting the winery in Lovas was a blast! We stayed for 2 days. On day one, we were met at the door with a shot of Palinka (brandy/grappa) to welcome us. After enjoying an hour or two of conversation on the terrace, we then then drove over to the Balaton Yacht Club for an afternoon of sailing, swimming, and all around fun. Then it was back to the Winery for dinner.

Frisci (my cousin) had a fire going in the artisan over for 5 hours. He then raked out the coals and slid in a giant pan of Pork. He then roasted the pork for 3 hours, then added whole tomatoes and potatoes then continued roasting for another 2 hours. The pork was "fall apart" delicious and the tomatoes were concentrated and full of flavor! they served this with a variety of different salads. Yum!

By the time that dinner was over, we were all exhausted! no time for the winery. that was strictly for day two.

On day two, our group split up into two groups. One group went for another day of sailing while our group toured the town of Tihany. Tihany was full of old world charm and provided incredible vistas of the lake.

Then, again, it was back to the winery for a dinner of lacho and chicken paprikash. After dinner, we rolled down into the cellar and sampled some of my family's best. Over the last 18 years, my cousin has branched out into making red wines. Simply outstanding. After the cellar tour, we gathered at a anti-chamber he uses as a type of "tasting" room. While we were sitting and sipping, my cousin poited out the bench we were sitting on. The initials A.T. and the year 1910 were scrolled on it. (A.T. was my great-great grandfather). Overwhelmed by the history and family connection, I leaned over to my brother and simply said.. "Just look where we are!".

He also showed us his still. He makes true grappa where he takes the grape skins, adds water and sugar, allows that to ferment, then distills it. His still has about a 25 gallon capacity and is double walled with oil in between the two walls. THe still works by heating the oil witch then heats the mash. For own personal use, this is legal in Hungary. Got to say that the stuff, although very strong, was very smooth.

The whole experience was the highlight of our 18 day trip. Now that I am back home, it is time to figure out just how much one of those artisan ovens cost!

Here a few more pictures.

We anchored the boat and went swimming.
Swimming.jpg

The pork right out of the oven ...

pork1.jpg

And the first plate of many for me!

pork2.jpg

Cooking lecho over a wood coal fire!
lecho1.jpg

My plate. Lecho on one side and Chicken paprikash on the other.
This was a taboo. Apparently, one should never put lecho and chicken paprikash on the same plate.
dinner2.jpg

Being well fed, Frisci handed me the LITERAL key to the cellar!!!

key.jpg

Another side of the cellar. The rack is for some of his older stock...

cellar1.jpg

Group shot in the antechamber..

group.jpg

My niece learned a lesson about wine and palinka. This is her the next morning wearing that unmistakable "I will never drink again" face.
neveragain.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Paul.

One odd thing is that on my Birthday, I had a "Wine Related" incident.

I was about to meet my family at my favorite BYOB restaurant, and I pulled a bottle from my racks.

I guess I did not have a firm grip and the bottle slipped out of my hand.

It crashed onto the tile floor sending schrapnel straight into my shin.

I should have gone for stitches, but since I was about to go to my birthday dinner, and had guests, I simply wrapped it in gauze and headed out.

This damn cut took forever to heal. With all of the walking I did in Europe, the damn thing would not stop oozing. I kept it in check by applying antibiotic cream, but it was bad enough to prevent even the idea of me swimming. So, while others enjoyed the thermal baths and swimming in lake Balaton, I sat in the sun and sweated.

While in Austria, I took my family's advice and went to the hospital to have a doctor check it out. The hospital visit took only 30 minutes, I was looked at by a nurse, a doctor, and a student doctor. They cleaned the wound, wrapped it properly, and gave me a week's supply of bandages, and ointment. They also gave me a 3 day oral course of antibiotics.

Here is the amazing thing. I was a foreigner so they had to charge me the full cost of the visit and supplies since they could not easily work with my health care plan. The did provide a receipt and said "your plan should reimburse you".

So, they handed me the bill and I braced myself.

65 Euros.

Yes, no mistake, 65 Euros!!!!

They made such a big production about financing only to give me a bill for 65 Euros!!!!!

I started laughing right there on the spot.

Seeing me laugh, they apologized about the high cost!!!!

"No problem", I said as I took a 100 Euro note out of my wallet!!!!

SO, The visit and the supplies cost around $75 in American currency and the whole visit took only 30 minutes!!

This is the foreigner rate (no government supplements).

WHAT THE HECK ARE WE DOING WRONG IN THE USA???????

Last edited:
Thanks Paul.

One odd thing is that on my Birthday, I had a "Wine Related" incident.

I was about to meet my family at my favorite BYOB restaurant, and I pulled a bottle from my racks.

I guess I did not have a firm grip and the bottle slipped out of my hand.

It crashed onto the tile floor sending schrapnel straight into my shin.

I should have gone for stitches, but since I was about to go to my birthday dinner, and had guests, I simply wrapped it in gauze and headed out.

This damn cut took forever to heal. With all of the walking I did in Europe, the damn thing would not stop oozing. I kept it in check by applying antibiotic cream, but it was bad enough to prevent even the idea of me swimming. So, while others enjoyed the thermal baths and swimming in lake Balaton, I sat in the sun and sweated.

While in Austria, I took my family's advice and went to the hospital to have a doctor check it out. The hospital visit took only 30 minutes, I was looked at by a nurse, a doctor, and a student doctor. They cleaned the wound, wrapped it properly, and gave me a week's supply of bandages, and ointment. They also gave me a 3 day oral course of antibiotics.

Here is the amazing thing. I was a foreigner so they had to charge me the full cost of the visit and supplies since they could not easily work with my health care plan. The did provide a receipt and said "your plan should reimburse you".

So, they handed me the bill and I braced myself.

65 Euros.

Yes, no mistake, 65 Euros!!!!

They made such a big production about financing only to give me a bill for 65 Euros!!!!!

I started laughing right there on the spot.

Seeing me laugh, they apologized about the high cost!!!!

"No problem", I said as I took a 100 Euro note out of my wallet!!!!

SO, The visit and the supplies cost around $75 in American currency and the whole visit took only 30 minutes!!

This is the foreigner rate (no government supplements).

WHAT THE HECK ARE WE DOING WRONG IN THE USA???????
I wish it cost that! I had to go to the hospital this year they charged $7500 and that was walk in. I got stuck with $3500 after insurance.

Look what happens when one stays away from this group too long!
@JohnT retire’s, and takes a year away from winemaking!
John, First and foremost congratulations on retirement excellent. You are young enough healthy enough to be able to do everything in life that we are supposed to do. Secondly I am envious little jealous but very happy. I know my retirement,as a joke I always say soon enough I will be caring the body bag with me to work LOL!

Steve

Back