Stop and smell the flowers but not this one

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
This plant is a stapeliad. This year is the first time it has bloomed and it is so amazing what nature has to offer even if it isn't so pretty. It smells like a dead animal and no butterfly or bee would go near it. It is pollinated by flies. The white things in the center are fly eggs....soon to be maggots....but fortunately the flower dies before that happens.....I think.

20080926_014326_100_5529_Small.jpg

20080926_014558_100_5531_Small.jpg

20080926_014810_100_5530_Small.jpg

This is what the buds look like before it opens.

20080926_015219_100_5513_Small.jpg

It has several names, starfish plant, carrion plant, zulu giant, dead horse plant. It is native to Africa. I was reading that it is the ultimate deception to they flies because their eggs will never hatch or if they do they will die because there is no food source.

A very interesting plant.

Waldo,
A friend of mine who grows the same types of plants that I do shared a cutting with me. It is very easy to grow and the plant itself is attractive.

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
It has several names, starfish plant, carrion plant, zulu giant, dead horse plant. It is native to Africa. I was reading that it is the ultimate deception to they flies because their eggs will never hatch or if they do they will die because there is no food source.

A very interesting plant.

And then they become food for the plant!
smiley5.gif

Girl, I know you have a green thumb and love plants but why would you grow a plant that smells like a dead body?
smiley11.gif
I will say it is an interesting looking plant.

Smurfe,

That's just it.....it is interesting. My boss asked me the same question.
I have other plants that are pretty and smell sweet too. Variety is the spice of life, don't ya think?

Ramona

Smurfe,

Maybe it's for gifts to people that end up on Ramona's bad side? ;)

- Jim

Hey, Jim

There is only one person who gets on my bad side sometimes and she pays my salary
smiley7.gif

Ramona

Back