Story-Time and Mystery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Year is 2007, I’m working on a construction site next to a subdivision Full of seniors.
A retired wine maker flags Me over and gives me a bottle of red wine it has a label with “2005” written on it. We introduce ourselves and get to chatting.
I dont know anything about Wine until that point, I mean really; its doubtful I even knew there were more than one color of wine, (red) I didn’t drink,so alcohol was tottally foreign to me.
He tells me about the wine making he does in his basement to keep busy since he’s been retired.
I smile and nod And Keep the eyes in the back of my head open for any sign of the Forman who May or may not know that Ive been doing more chatting in the last 15 mins than I lve spent doing construction things.
We are wrapping up the chit chat and he tells me not to wait to drink it because he made it to be enjoyed right away, I do the math and asume he’s making space in his cellar for the next batch/batches.
I thank him kindly for the wine and gesture and go back to my work.
The next 9 years are a blur. This bottle of wine has been dragged with me everywhere I go. by itself in the cupboard, moved across the province multiple times, sitting up right in the heat of summer, on its side in the dead of winter, vice/versa, shaken, dropped moved again, knowing what I know now it was abuse to wine that no wine should ever endure, like in an alternate universe where people were bottles of wine sitting down to watch a movie this was Friday the 13th, the conjuring, and the blair witch project all in one.

“Vinogar” I thought it was vinegar.
Amidst the 9 year blur I had taken a liking to Wine and learned a-lot, drinking, tasting, and enjoying every wine except that neglected bottle that I only knew existed when i found it everytime I moved. I even Moved to Canada’s Wine country, and the last three years were incredible as my pallet had developed, and The Wine experience was and still is to this day So amazing.
The year is 2016. I’m invited to yet another evening party at which there will of course be Wine, charcuterie, and some of the best company one could wish for. I bring this bottle as a conversation piece and think of course we would all benefit from some laughs at the vinegar, volatile/ruined bottle that such abuse would inevitably have produced. Of course I bring a Red From an amazing vintage out of the Oliver Region that I’ve been raving about to enjoy after the laughs.
We open the 11 year old bottle and pour it into a decanter after pouring ourselves some initial tastes into glasses (we couldnt help ourselves) we all look at eachother before the tasting and chuckle I’m already wondering why I cant smell stench in the air i havent even put nose to glass?
Everyone:
Caution
Sniff
Swirl
Sniff
Everyone:
Looks up Nobody wants to say anything, our reps are on the line. dead silence.
Sniff
Taste
I break down and have to say something
Me: it needs to breath
Everyone concurs (safe choice)
30 mins
Repeat
Still needs to breath.
After an hour and 45 mins the wine was alive
We were all enjoying it and marvelling at its wonder and quality.
It was the first time I truly experienced a wine
“Opening up”
“Waking”
It invalidated my story and spit in the face of the mockery that was planned for it that evening. The true power of Wine silencing a room full of snobs (from the wines perspective)
Everyone wanted as many cases as could possibly be in existence.
I have no doubt that it was the only bottle in existence.
I don’t want to sound weird But the truth is the truth, and the truth is that This experience humbled me and nearly brought me to tears.
It was an experience that can only be described with wine.

The Mystery:

“How was this Possible”

I’m new enough to wine that I don’t have answers for you. But, I’m interested in what others say.

Interestingly, a few days before you posted this, I found a bottle that was given to us when we purchased our first home. (1993) It’s had the same life style as your bottle. It hasn’t been stored properly, moved to three houses....etc. When I found it, I thought, “hmmm...wonder if it’s still good”.

It’s a 1992 “Red Beaujolais Wine”. A little research says it’s a French wine from the Beaujolais Villages.

I guess we just need to open it and either enjoy it or pour it out if it’s bad.

Latest posts

Back