RJ Spagnols Started new Black Forest Port !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put your ear up to the Bucket. Mine sounds like Rice Crispy's Just locked down my lid on Airlock where it will stay till I rack to glass. Its at a slow perk. Not adding anything. Sticking to the instructions. this is my first Port Kit so Im keeping it simple lol

Tess, I'm have trouble with the Choc Rap Port fermenting strongly. This new Black Forest kit is strong. No doubt it was fermenting- foamy, noisy.

Added the f-pack last night. It tasted like German Chocolate Cake. :D

WOW!... BB ,great to hear, just received 2 of these kits yesterday,hopefully starting one next week.... I'm think about fortifing one with brandy and the other with everclear... If needed at the bulk aging stage...

BB24,our Choc Cherry Port is doing great. My wife made a German Chocolate Cake from scratch yesterday for her sisters 50th birthday. It ( the cake) was AWESOME!! But ( don't tell her) the Choc Cherry Port was almost as AWESOME! ( she may read this post) so I have to temper my review of the WINE! Roy

OK what kinda brandy are you guys thinking for fortifying it with? Im not a fan if the everclear idea

I've not fortified a port before, but this one I might. Got an old bottle of St Remeys Napoleon brandy that I might use ... or take it to the hunting camp .. haven't decided yet!

Two weeks ago I transferred my BFP to a secondary and added 90g of med toast French oak, a pound of red raisins, and 3 tsp of Tan Cor Grand Cru tannin powder. Today I stablized and racked for clearing. I degassed and added the f-packs (I'm doing a double batch).

My final SG was .996. So, since I chapitalized with 2 lbs of dextrose it looks like I was able to get my ABV up to 17.6% I'm very happy about that. I still need to top up and believe I'll use some brandy to do that, but I don't see bumping it up beyond 19%. That will be fine.

A small taste confirms for me what everyone has been saying about the taste of this kit . . . Amazing! Yes, it absolutely tastes like German chocolate cake. I'm sure that after the year of aging I plan to put on it, this is going to be one of the best wines I've made to date. Really glad I got this one.:h

:b

Well, honestly, BB, I'm not sure that 90g of oak that I added is enough to put much of a taste dent in this port. It's a really powerful wine. Not sure I picked up much taste from the oak at all.

Mine is now in the secondary and topped off with brandy. I cant remember the name but its wasn't cheap. My son picked it out!! Im already working on my winter Christmas Label. I will serve this next Christmas

I dont want to do anything else to it. Im glad I just followed the basic directions. It is powerful I tasted it. lol

I dont want to do anything else to it. Im glad I just followed the basic directions. It is powerful I tasted it. lol

Tess, do you recall the final ABV?... before your addition of the brandy

No, I know my final Gravity but I lost the start reading so I cant calculate.
I write on my carboy with dry erase Markers as I go and smudged it. So, not to self. Write it in my notes lol.
I tasted it. It is strong in flavor and definitely has a bite to it. I wouldnt add anything to the flavor its already FLAVOR FULL. Cant wait to taste it when its ready to drink

Its so dark I cant see anything. Iv never racked less then 6 gals. This might be a challenge lol

Brandy? Everkleer?

GO SLOW MY FRIENDS,there's no rush on these kits, let them work them selves out via the process, then tweak, everkleer to much of a bite for this style kit, brandy should be a decent brand, which ever you choose go slow once it's in there's no getting it out. Also think of the delusion rate brandy , verses flavor, your:wy looking for balance and body as well as flavor.:wy

Tess, do you recall the final ABV?... before your addition of the brandy

Mine started out at 1.120 and is now at 0.993, probably finished fermenting, so that puts it at 17% before brandy. That's about as much as you can get with that yeast so I'm pleased.
How much brandy did you add, Tess? I'm still not sure if I'll add any.

No, I know my final Gravity but I lost the start reading so I cant calculate.
I write on my carboy with dry erase Markers as I go and smudged it. So, not to self. Write it in my notes lol.
I tasted it. It is strong in flavor and definitely has a bite to it. I wouldnt add anything to the flavor its already FLAVOR FULL. Cant wait to taste it when its ready to drink

TESS, Paper & Pen....lol :h

Latest posts

Back