RJ Spagnols Started new Black Forest Port !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
Aug 27. Temp 80. SG 1.111.
I stirred the bentonite in slowly, probably 4-5 minutes. You stir it straight into the juice, so you can't see if its clumping. I've been faster in the past, and it has clumped on me. Since I can't see through the juice, I just took my time and dreamed of the day this will be joyfully consumed by me and good friends/family.
It had two packs Lalvin EC-1118, and it said add both, so I did. Right on top. The gal from RJS said not to hydrate so I went against the grain and obeyed. Figured if I have trouble I can say I did exactly as they said. I would really rather hydrate, then stir in slowly. We shall see!!!:db:db:db

My chocolate orange port said not to add any water.

Thanks for getting us started, WAG! Found my two kits sitting on the front porch when I got home today. I'll be joining you soon.:b

I received my Black Forest Port kit this PM. Got it cranked up right away, but surprised their were 2 bags of juice. Second bag appears to be an "F-PAC" type of deal. But there is NO mention of that in the instructions. Only on the bags label. Soooo I assume I ferment dry ish, stabilize, then add their F PAC, before clearing. My SG was 1.112, is that typical? Thanks, Roy

Hey FTC. I forgot about the F-pack. Yeah, when do we add it in? I guess like you would a WE kit? My starting SG was 1.111. Good luck!

Thanks Guys, yeast in only 4 hrs & it's fermenting away. Will put the F-PAC in after stabilizing. It will be a little low in a 3 gal carboy until its added, may put it in 2- 3L &1-4L jugs before adding the 2 nd bag. We will see how long it takes to ferment out. oy

We have foam! Got a big towel wrapped around to keep temp swings at a minimum. Wanna try to keep 75-80 degrees.

This kit really knows how to ferment! It uses Lavlin EC1118. The WE kits use Red Star Premier Cuvée. I've never gotten good, foamy ferment with WE kits. This Lavlin yeast is really going great.

Wag, I just moved mine from the bath tub to the winery. It was 80.2* when sitting in the tub, room 77.8* Instructions call for 65-72* to ferment, which I feel is low, but I'll follow the instructions. I have my winery holding at 68* we will see. Fermentation was very active at 80*. Roy

I would feel more comfortable above 75. But then again, this kit seems to ferment well. Anyone know how to compare the Lavlin EC1118 vs Red Star Premium Cuvée? This Lavlin seems to get it done. I wonder how they compare for high alcohol fermenting?

WAG, I believe it was Mike "Ibglowin" who once said that the EC 1118 will ferment to dry even in the event of nuclear disaster. He should know. It's alcohol tolerance is supposed to be somewhere around 18%.

As far as adding the F-pack, I was thinking of doing the stabilizing in my primary, putting the F-pack in the carboy and then racking the wine on top of it into the carboy. How does that sound?

I would feel better going into carbon after fermenting. That would keep oxygen away. Oxygen is only good during fermentation.

I would put the f-pack in at stabilizing.

I started mine last week and it smelled so good that I ordered 2 more this week. They're still on special so what the heck. :db

I think this is going to give CRP a run for the money.

Hey USA, mine smells so good too. I love the smell of a strong ferment. I also have to say that I got confused and ordered a 2nd kit last month. Oh well, handy little mistake.

Do you think it would be better to hydrate the yeast, or just sprinkle on top per directions?

Sometimes I have 4 or 5 kits going at the same time. The smell is fantastic but my wife hates it. It permeates the entire left wing by the kitchen. Hmmmm, think I'll start another kit while it's fresh in my mind. :D

I just dump the yeast in. Directions? What are they for? After you make 10 or so kits, they're almost all the same. Now I just scan through them.

Enjoy your weekend.

:( Mine hasn't even shipped yet. Said it wont ship till mid to late September

Latest posts

Back