RJ Spagnols Started new Black Forest Port !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would feel better going into carbon after fermenting. That would keep oxygen away. Oxygen is only good during fermentation.

I would put the f-pack in at stabilizing.

I have an Ice Wine and Port in secondary and getting ready to add fpacks. I've attached the normal instructions for your review.

I always go to a three gallon carboy and top off with Brandy.

Port Wine - adding sweetener blend.jpg

Hiay from NE Pennsylvania starting my toasted Carmel Port kit in a few minutes but first I have to add the stabilizing and clearing packets to a Spanish Rioja kit.

Pitched the yeast on this about a half hour ago. I've decided to combine my two kits and make them as a 6 gal batch rather than two 3 gal batches. We'll see how that goes. I did use both packs of bentonite. But I did not use the four packs of yeast, only two. Initial SG: 1.111 at a temp of 72 F.

We're on the way! :db

I started my toasted Carmel about 45 min.ago S.G. was 1.116 airlock is bubbling away already.

I'm gonna add some leftover dextrose to this Black Forest beast. It's been 5 days and fermentation is still going. The airlock burps every 2-3 seconds. Is this too soon? I don't wanna hurt the yeast, but I still want something going on.

I have found it successful to chapitalize when the SG is at or just below 1.050.

Thanks Tom. I thought about SG after I typed. This is my 4th port style kit. Will it hurt the yeast if I check SG now, while its still burping slowly? This is fun stuff. Thanks for all the input/knowledge.

No, I don't think it will hurt the yeast at all.

I pitched my yeast yesterday afternoon around 3:00 pm and it's really rolling nicely now. I plan to watch the SG pretty closely and chapitalize at around 1.050 while the yeast are still really strong.

Last edited:
Wow. SG down to 1.008! Added about 200 ml hot water and dextrose, mixed together for 30-45 seconds. Temp 75. SG may have moved up to 1.010. Will try again tomorrow.

Alright. SG down to 1.000. Temp 75. Added more hot water/dextrose. Mixed thoroughly. SG back up to 1.006. Sweet!
Oh, I also added 1/4 pack of hydrated EC1118 with the first 1/3 of dextrose last night. I felt that the yeast may have been used up. Looks good so far.
One more thing. Can I buy dextrose just for this? I understand table sugar is not the same?

Sounds like you've got a good strong fermentation going there, WAG. And it looks like you've bumped your SG by .008. I think that means you are looking at a final ABV of around 16.5%.

I've got a really strong fermentation going in my double batch right now. It has a very "frothy" head on it now. I've gone in a stirred it once each day just to make sure the yeast stay suspended. Smells great!

Checked on my Black Forest again today. Man is it sizzling! I decided to wait until tomorrow to check my SG for possible chapitalization. I also have an 8g packet of Fermaid K I'm thinking of adding with the additional sugar. I'm thinking that will give the yeast a boost to get going on the additional sugar.

Checked the SG today. Found it at 1.048. Decided to chaptialize. Added 2 lbs of dextrose mixed in a simple syrup. Also added the 8g of Fermaid K. WOW! Did I get a response! Sizzling and foaming and bubbling up! I had to wait for over an hour before I could get the foam settled enough to get another SG reading. It stood at 1.064. So I was able to raise it by .016. I'm happy with that! Now to just keep the fermentation going to dry. I haven't checked the temp in several days. Last I checked it was at 72 F. I'm thinking I may want to put a little heat on the bucket just to keep it warm.

Nice going Tom. Mine is all "chap'd". I'm impressed with this yeast. It took the dextrose I added in 3 parts just fine. Would you use this yeast, EC 1118, in place of Red Star in WE kits? That yeast was finicky in all 3 kits I've done.

Back