RJ Spagnols Started new Black Forest Port !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting mine tonight. Im a little concerned about sprinkling the bentonite in and stirring. Iv always added it to a little warm water first. Im not sure what you mean by "chaptialize" are you adding more sugar to the primary to bump up the ABV?

Tess, I had the same feeling about sprinkling the bentonite directly into the must. But it worked out just fine. Today is day nine for mine and it is still bubbling along nicely. I've stirred it every day or so to get the yeast resuspended. And, yes, "chapitalization" is the process of adding more sugar to the must in order to increase the ABV.

Tess, I just followed the directions & everything worked out fine. Without adding any sugar it worked out to 16% ABV. I did have to top off with about 4oz of Brandy to get to within 2" of air lock. Had a one finger taste & it's awesome at less than 2 weeks! Roy

I think 16% is prefect for us. Thanks guys. Im getting started on it right now

Tess, I added my bentonite to a cup of hot water and it is still 16% ABV:d

I've been tempted to taste the f-pack, but have managed to resist it so far. My wife hates it that I never shake my presents before Christmas day. Anyway, I'm looking forward to stabilization day when I will definitely give it a taste.

Tess, I added my bentonite to a cup of hot water and it is still 16% ABV:d

Im thinking I would be so much more comfortable doing this. Thanks for letting me know it worked out!!

I've been tempted to taste the f-pack, but have managed to resist it so far. My wife hates it that I never shake my presents before Christmas day. Anyway, I'm looking forward to stabilization day when I will definitely give it a taste.

I never taste till its time to bottle!! lol

I stared mine tonight. I did add the bentonite to a half cup of warm water just because it made me feel more comfortable!! It smell's sooooo good ...I do hate that the smell will change as fermentation go's on!! Its just a fact!!

Came with two packs of yeast!! I taste mine when its done!!

I did notice that this bentonite came in a pellet from. Its funny. Long before I started making wine I used bentonite and cider vinegar as a facial mask :) works pretty good.

I would feel more comfortable above 75. But then again, this kit seems to ferment well. Anyone know how to compare the Lavlin EC1118 vs Red Star Premium Cuvée? This Lavlin seems to get it done. I wonder how they compare for high alcohol fermenting?

I put the brew belt on mine. My basement stays pretty cool

The black forest smells great. I just racked mine and ordered 4 more kits. You can't beat $75 each and no shipping on two! Woo Hoo!! Two are being delivered to me in NJ and I'll pick the other two up when I get to Florida for the winter. The guys at southern homebrew are holding them for me!! Can't wait to get down there.

Even though the instructions call for fermenting this kit to dry in primary, I decided to go to a secondary when the SG got to 1.016. That was last Sunday. And it was still bubbling slowly when I left the house this morning. Now, I did put a couple of tweaks on mine that may account for the continued fermentation even here on day 13. That is, I added 1 lb of red raisins, 90g of med toast French oak chips, and 3 tsp of Tan Cor Grand Cru wine tannin. My reason for these additions is to create a wine base that will remain balanced after I fortify with brandy. That, and I also like oak in my port.

Latest posts

Back