RJ Spagnols Started new Black Forest Port !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine started out at 1.120 and is now at 0.993, probably finished fermenting, so that puts it at 17% before brandy. That's about as much as you can get with that yeast so I'm pleased.
How much brandy did you add, Tess? I'm still not sure if I'll add any.

Dugger, there great numbers...man,i hope I can match them ...I didn`t open my kits yet...there must be some strong yeast in there (EC-1118 I`m guessing)..you maxed out them yeasties...nothing for nothing I used E&J xo to fortify my other port style kits...don`t remember the price.....I used 1.75 litters per 3 gallons of chocolate raspberry port..... do a bench test ,for the amount of brandy or everclear you want to use to fortify...good luck! :b

Ricky bite my butt!! love ya but just sayin!! LMAO!! <3

there is 2 packs of yeast with this kit. You guys worry to much. from what I tasted when I racked into the secondary. Its great as is, or will be in a few months. . Just don't stress so much over it. It very strong. I cant see adding to it anything but the brandy it calls for, Then again Im a newbie so just for the newbies who read this. Its fantastic as is!! Just follow the directions! dont worry about it. Nothing wrong with improving on what you know but this is good! Your fine!! if your nervous as I was. Just follow the directions and you cant go wrong.

Ricky bite my butt!! love ya but just sayin!! LMAO!! <3

Lol....love ya back Tess, ...just saying pen & paper...ya can`t smudge the pen & paper method...... I`m sure joeswine will be reading this and will be backing me up on this...:wy

Lol....love ya back Tess, ...just saying pen & paper...ya can`t smudge the pen & paper method...... I`m sure joeswine will be reading this and will be backing me up on this...:wy

:) lol Pen and paper just cant be beat!! Your a good man Ricky!! you make good wine!! Im a newbie so understand, I paid well over a hundred dollars for a kit that might get me 12 bottles! Im just speaking to the newbie who gets caught up in all this stuff. All I am saying is ....its good as it is!! Its worth the money in my book but dont get all freaked out thinking you need to add To or make it better. Its great the way it is!! Im just talking to newbies like me. Its perfect for now!

joeswine?? Im a fan and when My brunelo comes this week I will be all about Joes suggestions!! But for this price it better spit heaven in my book or it wont be ordered again!

Hey Tess, here's a good one for you. I did all the stabilizing, degassing, f-packs and clearing agents on Saturday morning. And by Saturday afternoon there was already a thick layer of sediment building up on the bottom of my carboy. I thought, "****, all that great stuff I added to this kit is falling out precipitously!" Guess it's just going to be what it's going to be.

And, by the way, it's going to be GREAT! :h

On another note, did you notice how the f-pack really thickened up this wine? I don't know, but I think that may be a feature of the RJS kit design. I say that because I noticed exactly the same thing with the Apple Tatin kit. And after a year of aging on that kit it was REALLY full bodied - almost syrupy, in fact. The WE CRP didn't turn out the same. I'm interested in seeing how this one is going to compare.

It was soo think I had to squeeze it out of the pack and still when I laid it aside the thick syrup ran out and onto the floor

So, I racked off the fine lees yesterday and set it aside for bulk aging. I had to top it up just a little bit more, so used brandy again. I haven't done the calculations, so I don't know exactly, but my final ABV is somewhere between 19.5% and 20%. And the taste is just outstanding, even at this early stage. Can't wait until next year when this gets bottled for Christmas gifts.

I think I am going to fortify one batch of the Black Forest with, can you believe this! I can't think of the alcohol I use - it's grain alcohol. This getting older thing is for the birds! :po

how did it work out so far for ya USA ,i`m hopefully starting 2 batches this weekend, going to fortify 1 with brandy and 1 with grain..... let us know how it worked for you .... thanks HAPPY HALLOWEEN ::

Bottling mine Monday per instructions. Did not use everclear Only use that on my leoncello :)...I used bandy but a whole bottle lol

Bottling mine Monday per instructions. Did not use everclear Only use that on my leoncello :)...I used bandy but a whole bottle lol

ok Tess, I used 1.75 liters of xo brandy on my chocolate Raz 3 gallon batch....liking it so far at a year old.... or young....lol ::

ok Tess, I used 1.75 liters of xo brandy on my chocolate Raz 3 gallon batch....liking it so far at a year old.... or young....lol ::

Sh*t a year old?? Im just ready to bottle!! Id have to say it amazing at this point. I can judge it better if yuo send me a bottle! ;) Let me know when your ready to ship!!! lol

Finally added 1 1/2 bottles of E&J plain brandy. Had enough extra to put back into empty brandy bottle. We shall see how long this lasts. Lol this port tastes AWESOME!!! Gotta get some more going. You people will love this one.

Just pitched the yeast on this kit about an hour ago...... SG was 1.112 at 71 degrees...looking forward to this Kit...I see Wag and Tom ,added sugar, (dextrose?) do you guy`s think it knocked the balance out of wack,i never added it unless it came with the kit....Tom how did you come up with 2 pounds,and Wag how much did you add?

Yes, Ricky, I used dextrose. I chose 2 lbs because I remembered that previous port kits that I've made raised the SG by .008-.010 for each lb of sugar.

Latest posts

Back