RJ Spagnols Started new Black Forest Port !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked mine at 1.010. It had been there for two days and I wanted to get it under airlock. I added sugar at 1.074 to get it back up to 1.090. I stirred prior and it seems to have awakened a bit. Hopefully, it'll be dry in a few more days. It should finish around 17%, I'll fortify with brandy to take it to 18-20%.

I think I am going to fortify one batch of the Black Forest with, can you believe this! I can't think of the alcohol I use - it's grain alcohol. This getting older thing is for the birds! :po

Everclear or Golden Grain, both are 95% ABV and distilled at the same place. The only difference is the label:sm

Last edited:
I used everclear on my batch of Orange chocolate, 3 months ago it had a STINGE to it.... I will be rackin that in a week or 2, hope it chilled out a bit...

Using spirits

:slp YOU need to consider when using grain alcohol ,or any other fortifier, not to over power the base wine ,always remember it was designed to be of a certain consistence and texture once you start to modify, you've started to create change, some are GREAT some are NOT changing the profile creates cause and effect, and that in it's self isn't a bad thing if it works out.:slp

Racked and fined this afternoon, 2.5 gallons and 1 1.50ml. I sure wish that they would allow for the lees so that you end up with the amount stated. We rack again in a few weeks. We can see the lees settling in the secondaries so it will be even less. After the 3rd racking it will go down to the cellar for 5 to 6 months for further clearing in carboys.

I think the next time we do a kit port we will add inverted sugar, maybe 1/2 a gallon. Any thoughts on that practice?

"Inverted sugar"? That's a new one to me. Mind educating me?

Invert Sugar

I think the next time we do a kit port we will add inverted sugar, maybe 1/2 a gallon. Any thoughts on that practice?

I'd say give it a try and let us know the outcome. As Joe would say, "You're thinking outside the box."

Just took the brake bleeder off (degassing) Added all ingredients, including f-pack. Wow! It is sweet and good!! This thing is gonna be awesome! I have another in a box staring at me. Lol

Sounds great Wag, what was your SG, and where did it wind up ,before adding your ingredients....and did you tweek it any?.....I ordered 2 BF kits yesterday from George, and my primary`s been empty for to long...

SG got down to .994 with no trouble. Much easier than WE kits! I added a littl tannin to the carboy before I racked from primary. First time. I hear it helps with flavor?
You have any trouble with CR port? My 2nd one was flawless. 1st and 3rd were really stubborn.

Hey Joe. Just having fun getting the SG down low enough to work with. I don't like how it ferments so "quietly". No visible signs inside. This EC1118 is very active. I like.

Latest posts

Back