Some rules of thumb for winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferment juice, not water.
Get everything you can from your fruit or berries before going to the gallons you are looking for.

Thanks to the experts here, I'm learning.

got a question find and answer

best advise I can give is if you don't understand something, have a question... Is ask it here, seek advice, then listen to it... maybe differant views but they are all good ones:db

Always have a willing participant to taste your wine along side of you and to give you an honest opinion.

"We are our worst critics"

Updated this morning, changed the layout a little. I will clean it up a bit later when I have more time and get rid of duplicates and things like that.

But keep them comming and keep them on topic of winemaking please.

PW

When deciding what to make next, make what SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) wants. Get it out of the way, so you can move on to making the good stuff.

1. Just because the recipe says so does not mean it will work for you. Don't be afraid to tweak a recipe to your taste.

2. Make wine you like. There's no use of having a cellar full of wine you won't drink.

Always have a willing participant to taste your wine along side of you and to give you an honest opinion.

"We are our worst critics"

If you have a friend or family member that DOESN'T like wine, have them taste test...THESE are your worst critics! If they say "that's do-able" then you know you have a weiner.

Just finished updating the list again, it had been a couple days so I figured I would get it going again.

Anyone else,,, I haven't heard from Wade yet and he is bound to have some good rules to follow, other than dont spam his forum.....:i

Don't be afraid to experiment
What's the worst that could happen?
It might turn out good

Reference: The Milk Wine experiment

D

:dg

If you're using a Keller recipe, double the fruit!!!!

Just finished updating the list again, it had been a couple days so I figured I would get it going again.

Anyone else,,, I haven't heard from Wade yet and he is bound to have some good rules to follow, other than dont spam his forum.....:i

Ok, I'll bite. What do you mean by "dont spam his forum?" I did not understand that.

Stay at least six months (one year is even better) ahead of the amount of wine you think you'll be drinking. We forget about gifts and parties we decide to have at the last minute. I supplied over three cases over two weekends for parties and gifts already this summer.

Stay at least six months (one year is even better) ahead of the amount of wine you think you'll be drinking. We forget about gifts and parties we decide to have at the last minute. I supplied over three cases over two weekends for parties and gifts already this summer.

You left out the most important detail - did you get your bottles back?! ;-)

Back