ChatGPT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovjock

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I happen to work with Generative AI so I tried a fairly specific request in ChatGPT. I think this is actually very good and might make my spreadsheet obsolete ...
=========
You
how much fermaid-o is needed for 20 gallons of wine must

ChatGPT

The amount of Fermaid-O needed for 20 gallons of wine must can depend on various factors, including the specific requirements of your wine recipe, the grape variety, and the initial nutrient content of your must. Fermaid-O is a yeast nutrient that provides essential nitrogen compounds for yeast growth during fermentation.

A common recommended dosage for Fermaid-O is about 1.5 grams per gallon (g/gal) for a typical wine must. Therefore, for 20 gallons, you would need:

1.5 g/gal×20 gal=30 grams.1.5g/gal×20gal=30grams.

It's crucial to note that these are general guidelines, and the specific needs of your wine may vary. It's advisable to consult your specific recipe or, if available, the guidelines provided by the manufacturer of the Fermaid-O you're using. Additionally, some winemakers prefer to split the nutrient additions into multiple stages during fermentation.
Always follow best practices in winemaking and consider checking with local winemaking resources or experts for advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

Understood, you don;t have to use it.

I do know, however, that for this question, it is correct. From here on out, I can always ask ChatGPT how much fermaid-O i need to use.

I have spot checked a number of other things I commonly do and it is correct on those.

I really don't understand why ask. chat gpt simple things that can. be easily found with normal research skills.

if the AI can solve problems or evaluate then I'd be impressed.

keeping charts of all wine additives and amounts is useful

I happen to work with Generative AI so I tried a fairly specific request in ChatGPT. I think this is actually very good and might make my spreadsheet obsolete ...
=========
You
how much fermaid-o is needed for 20 gallons of wine must

ChatGPT
The amount of Fermaid-O needed for 20 gallons of wine must can depend on various factors, including the specific requirements of your wine recipe, the grape variety, and the initial nutrient content of your must. Fermaid-O is a yeast nutrient that provides essential nitrogen compounds for yeast growth during fermentation.

A common recommended dosage for Fermaid-O is about 1.5 grams per gallon (g/gal) for a typical wine must. Therefore, for 20 gallons, you would need:

1.5 g/gal×20 gal=30 grams.1.5g/gal×20gal=30grams.

It's crucial to note that these are general guidelines, and the specific needs of your wine may vary. It's advisable to consult your specific recipe or, if available, the guidelines provided by the manufacturer of the Fermaid-O you're using. Additionally, some winemakers prefer to split the nutrient additions into multiple stages during fermentation.
Always follow best practices in winemaking and consider checking with local winemaking resources or experts for advice tailored to your specific circumstances.
15-20mg YAN/L

Understood, you don;t have to use it.
Very true. I don't use it for anything meaningful as I understand how it works.

In very specific situations with proper training, machine learning can be a very useful tool. ChatGPT is an amazing feat of technology. It's honestly impressive in what it does. Could I build it? Absolutely not!

However, there is absolutely no "intelligence" involved. It's essentially a huge set of nested if/then/elseif statements, and it builds new rules by parsing its inputs, and using that information to form the new rules.

It comes back to a term that was common before I started in IT: GIGO

Garbage In, Garbage Out. ChatGPT has no ability to judge the quality of its inputs. IIRC, it goes by the preponderance of the inputs, whatever is most often stated is what is assumed to be correct.

In that respect, it cannot be trusted for many things, and certainly not for anything beyond the basics in winemaking.

I have spot checked a number of other things I commonly do and it is correct on those.
I do not doubt you.

But what happens when you ask a question regarding something for which there are conflicting yet valid answers? It's going to present an answer as factual when in fact that are multiple answers, and the "right" one depends not only upon the situation but upon the winemaker's desires.

Latest posts

Back