SMELL THE ROSES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swill...nice Philox...mine aren't near open yet. I love them, they seem to always have Hummingbird Moths on them and look forward to them every year...thanks for sharing...

rgecaprock said:
We have had so much rain and dampness that mushrooms are popping up all over. They have their own beauty.

20070710_044521_100_2281_Small.jpg

Interesting color on that one Ramona...would you dare eat it.

Up here people pick Morel Mushrooms as well as others...where we use to live there was always people in our woods picking mushrooms...we were too busy to join in...then we started using the woods for pasture and no one went in there anymore....Guess you have to know what your after.

We went to a pot luck dinner party once and a guy brought mushrooms someone had given him...no one ate any..including the person who brought the dish....
smiley1.gif

NW.
That would be pretty scary if the guy who brought the dish wouldn't eat it.

That one was growing in my plants. I certainly don't know enough about them to risk it...you have to know your shrooms!!!!! I just thought it was pretty.

Ramona

Haven't had much time to smell the roses....All the flowers are suffering for too much heat and wind and NO rain...

Other things are catching my eye and keeping me busy...

Flowering Kale..Just an ornamental
FLOWERINGKALESmall.jpg

Califlower...almost as pretty as a flower...
CALUIFLOWERSmall.jpg

Red cabbage....striking looking vegetable...get HUGE
REDCABBAGESmall.jpg

Broccolli...yum!!!
BROCCSmall.jpg

Been busy preserving vegetables....but going to take a break...

Time to go fishing!!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Never tried those morels, every spring sure see alot of folks gathering them up like there special.

JWMINNESOTA said:
Never tried those morels, every spring sure see alot of folks gathering them up like there special.

Had some camping this spring. A little butter, a little garlic powder, and heaven!

Despite no rain some of the flowers are showing signs of reblooming...
singleredSmall.jpg
nearlywildSmall.jpg
hunterSmall-1.jpg

Some other flowers thrive in the dryness...
Datura...
daturaSmall.jpg

Yellow Prairie Coneflower...
prairieconefloweryellowSmall.jpg

Life goes on....

Summer is still trying to show off it's colors...

Carefree Sunshine...
csSmallWinCE.jpg

Morden Fireglow...
fireglowSmallWinCE.jpg

Hope for Humaniy...
hfhSmallWinCE.jpg

J.P.Connell...
jpconnelSmallWinCE.jpg

Unknown single true red rose...
unknownSmallWinCE.jpg

The fall beauties are trying to steal the show...
Sedum, Autumn Joy...
saj2Small.jpg

Flowering Kale..
kaleSmall.jpg

The summer flowers are giving in and changing to their fall colors.....

The Annabelle Hydrangea is turning back to a green color....they can be brought inside for dried arrangements at this point...[I have some dusty ones around the house from last year could be replaced]

hydrangeaSmall-1.jpg

The Pee Gee Hydrangea is turning it's fall pink tones...
pgSmall.jpg

The Geraniums always look good...

geraniumSmall.jpg

And, yes...with all the rose hips on the canes and few beauties are still out there...

carefreesunSmall.jpg

The plants intended for fall beauty are not disappointing.....the winds is whipping the willows today, they say 29-34MPH gusts....in the distance the soybeans are ripe and drying...this year..."teennie-beanies"...but there are some out there...

purpleSmall.jpg

So...without my approval the seasons are trying to change...Life remains....Very good!!!!

Every fall I debate whether to dig the Dahlia bulbs again, clean them, store them, drag them out in the spring, divide and plant them again....

So, I go out every year at this time before they freeze and mark the colors...admire them again before they die back...and...fall in love with them again....

pinkyellowWinCE.jpg
yellowWinCE.jpg
redWinCE.jpg
whiteWinCE.jpg
burgandyWinCE.jpg
lavenderwhiteWinCE.jpg
pinkWinCE.jpg

My mother always grew Dahlias and tended to them every fall and spring...I guess I am my mother's daughter....I too will once again dig the tubers and store them for another year....they will live again another year.Edited by: Northern Winos

My grandmother always had dahlias. And there was always a bouquet on the table everyday for as long as they lasted.

Thanks for bringing back the memory.

Beautiful, love the first pink one..............Ramona

Fall is struggling to make it's presense....

But things are still "Pretty in Pink"...

DSCF6080WinCE.jpg
DSCF6098WinCE.jpg
Picture034WinCE.jpg
DSCF6102WinCE.jpg
Picture011WinCE.jpg
DSCF6082WinCE.jpg
DSCF6142WinCE.jpg
Picture010WinCE.jpg
DSCF6102WinCE.jpg

And in purple....

DSCF6107WinCE.jpg
DSCF6132WinCE.jpg
DSCF6141WinCE.jpg
Picture061WinCE.jpg
Picture084WinCE.jpg
DSCF6116WinCE.jpg

And in white....

DSCF6136WinCE.jpg
DSCF6154WinCE.jpg
Picture062WinCE.jpg
Picture080WinCE.jpg
Picture086WinCE.jpg
Picture088WinCE.jpg

And in yellow....

butterandeggsWinCE.jpg
DSCF6071WinCE.jpg
DSCF6113WinCE.jpg
DSCF6145WinCE.jpg
DSCF6152WinCE.jpg
Picture016WinCE.jpg

Despite the weathered look...things are still pretty....enjoying it while it lasts.

We are getting leaves all over the yard that are dried up and brown already that have never changed color. I really love to just pack things up and take a long drive and just get lost on the weekends and look at the foliage. Ive probably been right at Applemans and Joans back door a few times and didnt even know it. I dont really see that happening this year. Rich, Joan, is this what you are seeing up there to. I mowed my lawn Wednesday evening and when I got home Thursday it looked like I never touched it, it was covered with leaves already and there are barely any colors.
4_2_200v.gif

We are expecting vibrant colors this fall Wade. We have a few maples and they are turning brilliant red. The oaks are late and the leaves hanging on well. Just beginning. Others in varying stages of just beginning here. The Adirondacks in my back dooryard are approaching peak and are excellent viewing. The Green Mountains are almost as far along and very good this year. It's dry right now, but we had a good summer and a bumper nut crop all around. The oaks in the dooryard keep dropping nuts all over the lawn. Head Northwest Young Man! Go to Albany and take the Northway through the Adirondacks up to Plattsburgh. Take the Ferry on Cumberland Head to Grand Isle VT, visit Snow Farm Vineyards in South Hero on the way through the Islands, continue on to 89 or one of the other main roads through VT and take in the Green Mountains also on the way back to CT.

Beautiful, NW.......Ramona

Wade and Apple, it is still summer here.....Fall is December, January winter, February ...Spring again!!!

Ramona

Dont even mention nuts Rich!!!! I have 3 big hickory trees in my byard and they are all in the front and we have to strategically park or all we hear is the sound of big nuts bouncing off our cars. My front yard is covered with them and if you tried to mow the lawn with a push mower you would have broken ankles. Last year we hardly had any but this year is the worst in 6. Even the squirrels bailed out as they ere over run by nuts!
36_33_20.gif

Roses are getting replaced with brightly colored plump rose hips...but found a few beauties to bring to the table...

breautiesSmall.jpg

Temperatures to dip into the 30*'s this week...all will change with frost in the future....but it is that time of the year up here on the high plains.

Latest posts

Back