The worst thing that could happen to a winemaker.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
Yes. This is probably the worst thing. A few days ago I got covid. The first time since the beginning of the pandemic. I lost sense of smell and tatse. I took a few days off from work and I could take care of a few carboys but without being able to smell or taste anything it’s worthless. I racked Merlot Forte yesterday because the oak cubes had to be removed and I could not smell what it was. So weird!

That's such a tough thing to experience, Eric. I am so sorry!

If it's any consolation, everyone I have known who lost their sense of taste and smell eventually got it back. For some, it took a few months. Others, it only took a few weeks.

Hope your recovery is swift!

So more than three years ago with the first outbreak, I lost my senses of taste and smell. After about 4 months, I bought an essential oils fragrance kit and daily went through sniffing the 6 bottles. After about a month, my sense of smell returned for which I am grateful. Need to smell smoke, and gasoline, and odorant in natural gas. Taste never fully came back. I sense peanut butter and cilantro, but mostly have to ask my wife how something tastes. It's inconvenient, but there are about a million Americans prematurely dead from Fauci's experiment and I was barely ill at all. You'd think I'd lose a few pounds, but I really enjoy the texture of foods now.

Definitely sucks, I also am a chef and make perfumes, it was almost a month without full use of my olfactory senses. I had to retrain my nose.

just take your time get well soon. you'll be ok in the long run

Yes. This is probably the worst thing. A few days ago I got covid. The first time since the beginning of the pandemic. I lost sense of smell and tatse. I took a few days off from work and I could take care of a few carboys but without being able to smell or taste anything it’s worthless. I racked Merlot Forte yesterday because the oak cubes had to be removed and I could not smell what it was. So weird!
I lost my smell totally for about a 10-14 days, I immediately ordered one of the essential oils smell kits on Amazon and started using right away. After 4-5 days of using it, I started to notice faint smells on some, by a months time I was back to normal. There are studies that suggest the essential oils smell training works. I’d give it a shot.

MOXĒ Smell Training Kit, Made in USA, 4 Essential Oils, Olfactory Regeneration, Helps Restore Sense of Smell, Natural Therapy for Smell Loss (Phase 1) https://a.co/d/8s67tP8

My turn. First time. Made it pretty far for being a paramedic. Started with chills then post nasal drip. I sat in the hot tub with a glass of Zin and thought, what the hell did I bottle this for, this is terrible…! Ohhh…

Coffee in the morning was equally a disappointment. Hot creamy water. Interestingly, I get the sensation of acids and tannins in things, just not the taste of what’s with them. I tried a pecan whiskey… water. That’s dangerous... LOL

Essential oil kit it is. I’ll leave the wine press in the garage.

I've just returned from my vacation in Punta Cana, all-inclusive resort. I was so worried before the flight that my taste and smell will not return and I will miss all this great food that was waiting for me. Well, the first day, Saturday, I could taste and smell only the food with more distinct flavor. Sunday was much, much better. I could describe as 60-70% return to normal. And Monday was almost normal. What a relive to be able to enjoy all this countless dishes and exotic juices! Today I will have to rack 2 wines and I will taste some of my wines to make sure I have the same experience. And David, this is exactly what I was experiencing about 10 days ago. If I eat something blindfolded I wouldn't be able to recognize anything, maybe only by the texture. So weird experience.

Very happy that you were able to enjoy the time away - and that those senses came back! There is such amazing food in the DR. One of the best barracuda dishes I had was there. Mine are beginning to come back as well. At first things were pretty generalized but it's getting better each day as well.

It was so funny when we arrived on the 13th, Saturday. Before our room was ready, we went to a buffet during lunch time. I was so damn hungry. My eyes were eating every dish and those amazing deserts. My wife was just laughing at me while I was eating like there is no tomorrow. After some time I was totally full and all I could do was just imaging what I really ate because I couldn't taste anything or almost anything. I think God had mercy on me and gave me my taste back the next day but not 100%. He probably tried to tell me - "be a better person and I will give you more".

I had oral cancer on my tongue about 15 years ago and they took off both sides

I had to recover my sense of taste as that is where sour comes from and a lot of that was gone

I also had a friend lose taste do to Covid but slowly recovered

guess I am trying to say, don't give up

Latest posts

Back