Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
intoxicating said:
Anyone have an idea on what the starting acidity should be?

I was just given a gallon of mixed lemon- lime-ade with the sugar already in it.

Don't have any lees right now. Should I just freeze it and thaw out when I get my next batch of something out of the primary?

I can check it for SG and I am aiming for something closer to 6 or 7% than 10% so I am probably not planning to add any additional sugar until bottling.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't worry with the acidity for this one but let taste be your guide. Whenever I make my hard lemonade I use store bought already made up lemonade and just dump it onto the lees. The SG is 1050, I don't adjust any further and it turns out well. Also I stabilize mine when finished so I can sweeten it up a bit.
I would freeze your juice and a day or 2 before racking off the lees you'll be using pull it back out of the freezer to thaw.

I agree with vcasey on the acidity. Its going to be much higher then a normal wine due to the ingredients and that is the main reason for using a slurry as a fresh yeast sprinkled on top would most likely struggle if it even got going due to the high acidity of lemon.

I made a little starter for my SP yeast. a little bit of inverted shugar (1/4 cup) a splash of OJ and water to 1 cup two packets of EC1118. Not bothering with acidity due to lemon juice. You kinda expect tart.

Yikes
smiley29.gif
I tasted the syrup I got to see how tart it is, and it seemed really thick and syrupy. I dropped the hydrometer in and I will probably get at least 2 gallons out of the one gallon mix. The hydrometer is floating with the made in France above the surface of the liquid!
smiley9.gif
By the time I get it watered down to workable SG, I may even need to add more lemon juice. I was shooting for a wine cooler ABV, around 7 to 8%. Going to bottle in 187's or beer bottles with crown caps. This is getting interesting.

I want to start a batch of this stuff. My question is, I am getting ready to rack a batch from the primary to the secondary, how long can I keep my slurry that I will have? DoI keep it in the refrigerator until I am ready for it? Thanks for your help, John.

You could keep it in the fridge for a little while but Im not sure how long.

Couldn't you withhold more lemon juice and add it to the end? Your lemon isn't going to ferment.

nursejohn said:
I want to start a batch of this stuff. My question is, I am getting ready to rack a batch from the primary to the secondary, how long can I keep my slurry that I will have? DoI keep it in the refrigerator until I am ready for it? Thanks for your help, John.

You can keep it in the frig for months. My last sp that I made, the slurry was in the frig for 6 months and it still worked well. Actually that sp was done in about 6 weeks.

Well, because of several things, I never did get started on my Skeeter Pee, but finally am now able to get started on it. I see people bottling it in beer bottles. Will this become carbonated because of the sugar added at the end? Just wondering!

I started my SP on 18 July, and on 26 July I added a little sparkloid. The sparkloid has settled out, but the SP shows no signs of clearing. Any ideas? I went back over my notes and didn't add any tannin. Might that be the problem?

Has anyone here carbonated their skeeter pee? I have been thinking about trying it. Since I don't have a kegging system I wouldn't be able to sweeten it though and I'm not sure how that would taste.

brushwood24 said:
Has anyone here carbonated their skeeter pee? I have been thinking about trying it. Since I don't have a kegging system I wouldn't be able to sweeten it though and I'm not sure how that would taste.

Not sure how well it would taste. Backsweetening the sp brings the full flavor out. If this is your first batch, you should just stabilize, backsweeten and bottle. I bottle in 750 wine bottles, this stuff dissappears pretty fast.

intoxicating said:
I started my SP on 18 July, and on 26 July I added a little sparkloid. The sparkloid has settled out, but the SP shows no signs of clearing. Any ideas? I went back over my notes and didn't add any tannin. Might that be the problem?

The lack of tannins shoul not cause a clearing problem. It could be a combination of temps and needing to be degassed. If you have degassed properly at the right temps then you might try a good dose of super kleer

Julie said:
Not sure how well it would taste. Backsweetening the sp brings the full flavor out. If this is your first batch, you should just stabilize, backsweeten and bottle. I bottle in 750 wine bottles, this stuff dissappears pretty fast.

This will be my third batch but I still think I should probably just wait until I have a kegging system to carbonate. The more I think about it, the more I think the results would be pretty bad.

intoxicating said:

How did you add the sparkalloid? Did you dissolve it in boiling water?

Latest posts

Back