Rusting floor corkers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwood

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with their floor corkers rusting? I usually rinse my corks in K-Meta before inserting in to the bottles. Yesterday I was bottling a small batch and I noticed that tiny particles of rust were getting into the bottles. Luckily I noticed this pretty quick. I took apart my Portugese floor corker and noticed that the insides were rusted pretty bad and the paint was flaking off. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone using the Italian models has had this problem. My corker works like a champ and I can sand and re-paint but I'm wondering if the finish on the Italian models is more durable. Any thoughts?

i left some k meta in a pan for a couple of days when i forgot some items that i was sterilizing...when i went back to the items..the pan was coated in a surface rust....it came right off...thats my anecdotal evidence

Be sure to wipe down the corker the best you can after corking. Yes they do rust and corrode- even the higher end ones can. You can apply a light coating of mineral oil once in a while and wipe it off with a clean rag. If you can get yours apart and reassembled, do it and coat it well after getting all the rust off you can. Even a Ferrari (pun intended) needs a tune-up to keep running smoothly.

That's also a good reason to rinse your vinator well to keep the spring and ball valves from rusting.

Arden

Kmeta will do this fast if left on metal surface for eve short periods of time, wipe it all down good afterwards like appleman said!

Thanks Everyone. I didn't realize that the K-Meta that I was soaking the corks in would rust the corker that quick. I'll just sand it down and re-paint it and be sure to be much more careful in the future to wipe it down and dry it after using it.

Yup, here to. I havehad corrosion issues with all the above mentioned items. I have the Italian corker.

A lot of the problem is that around and under the jawsthey are not painted when new and that is a potential problem area. I loaned mine to a friend once and he left it outside in the rain for 2 days and it rusted up around andunder the jaws. I had to sand itdown and repaint it. Do you reckon I will ever let him borrow it again ???

I am just now reading this... after noticing that the screw on my buon vino bottle filler is rusting. I am sure it was the k-meta but what an expensive lesson - is it really ruined? :-(

My BV bottle filler came with that screw rusted. However I did ruin my filler by running k meta through it when cleaning and not flushing it with plain water afterwards.

Come on.Somebody else......Stand Up And Testify !!!!
smiley36.gif

Waldo said:
Come on.Somebody else......Stand Up And Testify !!!!
smiley36.gif

Alright Waldo, I'll go again..LOL. As a follow up to my BV filler being trashed by leaving K-meta in it, it is an awesome filler. I ran out and bought another one immediately. I would not be without it in my arsenal of wine making tools. Just remember if you are using K-meta for sanitizing anything with metal it is very corrosive and you need to rinse it off.

Even Stainless Steel will corrode from K-Meta...Be sure to rinse it off well after using......
smiley18.gif

Any ideas on how to test my filler to make sure the rusted screw is not contaminating while I bottle? It looks structurally okay, except for the obviously rusted screw.
smiley5.gif

Maybe idophor would be better to sanitize that type of equipment. That's what the vinyard owner I know uses. He's got one of those 6 bottle fillers. And all the huge stainless tanks.

I think that's a good idea too - I started out homebrewing before I learned how to make wine and I always used either a light bleach solution (carefully rinsed with hot water afterwards) or idophor. It might color the tubing a bit but I bet it's not as corrosive. I hope this filler isn't ruined... :-(

I don't have it in front of me right now, but if I recall correctly, the screw you are talking about doesn't ever touch the wine. Other than rusted looks I don't think it will bother the wine.

Yay! I will run some water through it and make sure it's not damaged in any other way before I bottle. Thanks, guys.

Latest posts

Back