Quantcast

Ruby Red Grapefruit wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
Anybody out there have a good Recipe / Procedure / advice for making a batch of Ruby Red Grapefruit wine??? I have about 4 gallons of juice in my daughter's freezer and she is wanting me to get it out. Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
cxwgfamily

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I suspect that making a very drinkable grapefruit wine will be a real challenge. Remove the sweetness and the acidity may be overwhelming. CJJ Berry uses grapefruits (skin and juice) to pair with grape (white wine) concentrate but you might check out how grapefruits are used in fruit mixes and cocktails and the like - I think it pairs well with vanilla and with pineapple or mango. Oranges pair well with chocolate but I don't know how well cocoa and grapefruit go together
A grapefruit wine might need to be made with a fair amount of residual sugar and you may need something to cut the acidity. Check out recipes for Skeeter Pee (uses lemon juice). Grapefruit might be a good enough substitute for lemon.
One last point: people taking certain medications should not eat grapefruits. I am not sure but I think the grapefruit buffers the way that those meds are metabolized by the body and so increases the effects of normal doses - sometimes to the point of life threatening toxicity...But I am not a doctor or organic biologist, so I may be waaaaay off base here, however, if I were you I would make certain that anyone you offer a glass to knows that this wine is grapefruit

Last edited: