Amount of yeast for Blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbirdman

Junior
Reaction score
I've been using this recipe for winemaking.

Use 4 lbs of blackberries, 2.5 lbs of sugar and enough water for one gallon.
I heat the mixture to boil, then I simmer for 10 more minutes or more.
After the mixture cools under 80 degrees, I will add 1/2 teaspoon of peptic enzyme, yeast nutrients, citrus acid and about 1/4 teaspoon of yeast which I have been using Red Premier Rouge.

After I let it ferment in a covered stockpot for about a week or less depending on the amount of fermentation, I bottle it in a glass jug with an airlock.
After one month, I will siphon the liquid, trying not to disturb the sediment, to fresh glass jug. I let that sit for another month with an airlock before bottling the wine. I will add a teaspoon of wine conditioner (RJ Spagnol) which it is too dry for my taste. I do not age the wine before drinking it. I make 60 bottles a year. This is my 4th year of making blackberry wine.

I get rave reviews of my blackberry wine using this recipe. I see most recipes online show using a whole packet of yeast. I actually have just bought some 71B-1122 yeast as I was going to try that yeast in my next batch.

1. What effect using a whole packet of yeast vs the small amount I currently use will have on my wine?

2. I don't mash the berries, though I squeeze thoroughly the juice out of them when straining the mixture with pulp out of the stock pot into a glass jug.

3. Is the change to 71B-1122 a good change?

4. Any additional steps I should do?

Since I'm getting from my recipe what I and others think is great wine, I'm hesitant to change my recipe unless the change will be noticeable better for my wine I make.

Thanks for the advice!

One packet of yeast just means more yeast will be converting sugar to alcohol, so the ferment might finish quicker.

A lot of people freeze fruit in order for more juice to get extracted from the fruit. Also not all fruit ripens at the same time.

I have heard 71b is popular for fruit wines.

My only advice is to measure the SG, not rely on exactly 2.5 lbs of sugar. Problems with low alcohol or high alcohol ferments are possible (spoilage and stuck ferments, respectively).

I pitched my blackberry today with D21. 50lbs of berries, took about 6lbs of sugar to get 21 Brix.

And welcome to WMT!

Except for the first batch of wine, the blackberries are in the freezer. I then add the sugar and water to the defrosted berries. I've picked all the berries I need except for about 2 more lbs which I can pick in 30 mins. These are wild blackberries plants under a power transmission tower right of way.

I haven't had trouble with spoilage or stuck fermentation (or at least I know of). When do you measure the SG?

Except for the first batch of wine, the blackberries are in the freezer. I then add the sugar and water to the defrosted berries. I've picked all the berries I need except for about 2 more lbs which I can pick in 30 mins. These are wild blackberries plants under a power transmission tower right of way.

I haven't had trouble with spoilage or stuck fermentation (or at least I know of). When do you measure the SG?
Measure the S.G. before pitching the yeast to figure how much sugar to add for your desired alcohol content.
Then a long the way to check progress...if you want.
Check when fermentation stops completely to make sure it is dry and to know ABV with certainty.
If you like it, don't change it but a three year old bottle of blackberry wine is my favorite

It's always risky changing a recipe so good luck with whatever you do.

Personally I freeze my fruit, thaw, pour hot water (190F-ish) let it cool then rock-n-roll. I never boil and only simmer some vegetables. And I use a half pack of yeast for a gallon batch. I also measure SG (and taste!) every day.

71B is a safe choice and I used it extensively last year. This year I'm moving away from it and liking the results. For dark berries I'm currently experimenting with RC212 and Bravo and really liking the results.

I think one simple change to help your wine is upping the fruit. My bare minimum is 6 lbs.

Again, good luck!

Thanks for the comments. I will try my next two batches I will try both 71B and RC212 and up my fruit to 6 lbs. As BigDaveK said, when change a recipe, it can be risky especially everyone has liked it except one neighbor. I've never encountered a batch I didn't like. I also will not boil but just heat the batch to 190F and then simmer it.

I guess I need to pick another 8 lbs more of blackberries.:D

I also will not boil but just heat the batch to 190F and then simmer it.
While activating the pectin for jam takes boiling, I am concerned that you might make the wine hazy. I don't know of any reason to heat fruit for winemaking purposes.

Since you're freezing the fruit, the cells are breaking down. You could simply measure the fruit (in lbs), add water according to the weight, add pectic enzyme, give it a good stir, and cover it with a towel. The following morning, stir again, then check SG. Add sugar to achieve your target, stirring very well during the addition. Check SG again, and then inoculate.

I don't know of any reason to heat fruit for winemaking purposes.
Heat is supposed to release more sugars, soften fiber, and extract more anthocyanins. For red wine there's even a name for the process - thermovinification.

A long cold soak prior to fermentation will accomplish much the same but it's longer than the typical add water to fruit and a Campden tablet and wait 24 hours and it needs cooling or refrigeration

Haven't tried a long cold soak, on my list.

Thanks for the comments. I will try my next two batches I will try both 71B and RC212 and up my fruit to 6 lbs. As BigDaveK said, when change a recipe, it can be risky especially everyone has liked it except one neighbor. I've never encountered a batch I didn't like. I also will not boil but just heat the batch to 190F and then simmer it.

I guess I need to pick another 8 lbs more of blackberries.:D
You're lucky to do two batches with different yeasts. I've done it a couple times and it's always educational. I'm sure you'll like both but chances are you'll like one more.

Comparisons like this are great for all of us. Please keep us informed!

Thanks for the info. I admit I'm too adverse to heat to do it.
Oops, I'm sorry, should have been more precise. By "heat" I don't mean "cook". It doesn't take much. For the thermovinification I think the temp is 160F for a few minutes. I read about it last year and that's like a lifetime ago for my memory.

Oops, I'm sorry, should have been more precise. By "heat" I don't mean "cook". It doesn't take much. For the thermovinification I think the temp is 160F for a few minutes. I read about it last year and that's like a lifetime ago for my memory.
That's still more heat than I'm comfortable with. Which doesn't mean others shouldn't do it, just that *I* am not comfortable doing it.

Heat is supposed to release more sugars, soften fiber, and extract more anthocyanins. For red wine there's even a name for the process - thermovinification.
Freezing will help break down cell walls. After thawing I add pectic enzyme and Kmeta and let it work for 12-24 hours at room temperature before adding the yeast. I think that this releases most of the sugars. Then I check SG and add the necessary amount of sugar.

There might be a small amount of additional sugar released from the fruit pulp during fermentation, in which case my estimated final ABV might be off by a few points. That is not a problem for me.

Latest posts

Back