Rookie mistake of the week. Or, how not to handle a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lori,
I am with you on moving the 3gal. with one hand. I usually grab one in the right and one in the left and away we go. That is from years of strongman training. I do, however, make sure they are dry. Very impressive move from you nonetheless.

Really like your labels and name on the bottles you managed to save. Very nice.

Glad that you were not hurt or cut.. but I'd bet that slivers of glass will make their appearance over the next 6 months no matter how fastidious your are in trying to sweep up every single speck of glass.

Reef man, you have a good point about carboy carriers. I'm in the process of making 6 that each hold 2 carboys that along with a vacuum pump & carboy cleaner wand I only lift empty or also empty ones with a little cleaning solution in them to empty into the sink. But I also added carboy handles so I can get a better grip & there is less chance of the carboy slipping out of my hand again! Roy

It's from Carboy.net.
I'll do a review on it when it arrives.
Nice things are a zipper on the side from top to bottom, and two handles on top to carry (or use just one if so inclined :h), and a handle on the bottom to pour. Made from what looks like a heavy nylon, and it's black, so it acts as a cover to keep light out as well.

Last edited:
Wow, I think that picture is EXACTLY why my wife pushed me on using a basement room with concrete floors for the wine/beer making.

Lori,
I have been lucky never to dump a carboy,
However I see absolutley no shame in getting down to the spillage with a straw and enjoy the fruits of your effort before mopping the rest up!

just dont chew on the glass!

:ft Why didn't you CALL ME? I could've caught a flight and been down there shortly, licking it up off the floor!

Last edited:
For many (most?) of us it could have easily been twice as bad... 6 GALLONS!
smilie.gif

I recall a similar disaster about a year ago, but it involved a table collapse, and the loss of several carboys full of wine.
I Can't remember who it was???

Sorry for your loss, I guess the best you can do is take solace in that you were not hurt, that it was only 3 gallons of wine, and that it was under a year old.

I recall a similar disaster about a year ago, but it involved a table collapse, and the loss of several carboys full of wine.
I Can't remember who it was???

SarahRides, that was a horrible accident

Lori,

My heart goes out to you. I'm sure you have helped many newbies by sharing this experience.

Glad you're ok, and I love your kitchen......

Thanks everyone for the condolences. I guess I was fortunate that I only suffered a cut on my thumb. I have carboy handles, but on on the 3 gal. ones. I may have to revise that system. And no, I didn't use a straw. :D

James, I agree and would love to take it out of the kitchen. I keep the bottles in the spare bedroom on that cart you see on the left. It's an audio visual cart that holds about 500 lbs. Then I roll it out when I need to do the wet stuff. I have plenty more space, 2 car garage, a shop and even a guest house. Heat is the only thing stopping me from over taking one of those spaces. I would have to air condition it 365 days a year.

Any suggestions for temp control otherwise?

Toos for the tool box

Notice the milk creates...THEY HAVE BUILT IN HANDLES,FORGET THE PUMPING ASPECT IT'S STILL NEEDS TO BE MOVED AROUND AT SOME POINT AND SOMETIMES MORE THAN ONCE ,SAFETY AND SECURITY IN THE PROCESS,,,,,,,,,JUST REMEMBER IT'S ONLY JUICE..........IT WILL BE BETTER IN THE END.

WHAT WOULD HAVE P!!!ED ME OFF WAS THE CLEANING THE FLOORS AND THE STICKYNESS AFTERWARDS........

20130530_192143.jpg

20130530_193900 - Copy.jpg

19 siphon with wedges.jpg

21 headspace.jpg

Last edited:
Totally agree with Joe. All my 3 , 5 and 6 gallon carboys are stored and moved in "milk crates". The one downside is that they make it difficult to see the height of the lees after first racking or to see presence of any lees after the third or fourth racking... Still have not figured out how to solve that problem, but the benefit of safety and the reduced risk of a catastrophic accident outweighs that cost, IMO.

Back