Rookie mistake of the week. Or, how not to handle a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
I learned two valuable lessons this morning.

#1. Don't try to do blending and tasting without eating first.
#2. Don't try to move a 3 gal carboy one-handed. EVER.

The thing that makes me the saddest? It was my black currant wine that I have been bulk aging for 4 months and it was GOOD, finally.

carboy-fail.jpg

I did manage to get 3 taster bottles out of it before I moved/dropped the carboy.

ripcurrant2.jpg

Were your hands wet or dry when you moved the carboy? I always use 2 hands for this exact reason. At least you don't have hardwood floors. Can you provide some tips for cleaning up an accident like this? So sorry but thanks for sharing the picture.

Lori, I had to delete my insensitive message. I am sorry this happened to you after so much work.

Were you seriously moving a full 3 gallon carboy with one hand?! Hoochie mamma! I'll bet no one messes with Texas or YOU!

My hand was wet. Which is exactly what came to mind first when I felt it slipping. I could have kicked myself cause I knew better.

The cleanup? A Hoover Floormate
It vacuums, washes then squeeges dry. I have nothing but wood and tile and I love it. It works great for spills of all magnitudes.

Lori, I had to delete my insensitive message. I am sorry this happened to you after so much work.

Were you seriously moving a full 3 gallon carboy with one hand?! Hoochie mamma! I'll bet no one messes with Texas or YOU!

lol,
No worries about sensitivity, I'm a big girl and a bit of a smart a$$. I can handle it.

I had the carboy on the countertop filling bottles and realized I needed it to be on the floor when using the AIO pump. I attempted to keep one hand on the bottle I was filling, while trying to move the carboy just a few feet below by grabbing it by the neck. Thats when I realized my hand was wet. If my hand were dry, I probably could have made it. But, that's where the tasting wine before breakfast comes into play. :)

Lori
Dont feel alone - I dropped a carboy and almost cut a major vein in my wrist. Since then I developed the Allinone for that specific reason. I am getting older and I tend to rush things - and I don't start drinking until after all work is done - Yes I know its not that fun but there are less mistakes this way- LOL

I am glad you are all right !! That is the most important thing

did you filter the shop vac prior to drinking ??

Lori that is terrible,glad you are not hurt. These accidents seem to be happening too often.

Oh the horror. So sorry for your loss. I guess the name RIP current takes on a whole new meaning now.

Hahaha... :) Didn't think of that Greg. Good point.

jhm614; Thanks, For a change I was wearing shoes. Could have been pretty ugly otherwise.

Oh, Lori, I have nothing clever to add, but sorry for your mishap. Dang it!

Edit: Wait! I do have something clever to add. As we have all seen, Lori's signature is: "Carboys are like Gremlins. If you get them wet, they will multiply." Evidently, sometimes if they get wet, they will divide! ;)

Last edited:
Lori, first and foremost, I'm glad that you didn't get hurt, that's the most important thing, carboys and wine can be replaced.
On a side note, I always bottle with the AIO, carboy and bottles on the same counter, it worked flawless bottling 14 cases, one after another..

*** I should clarify something:
It isn't recommended to bottle with carboy and bottles on the same surface as I've been doing, you should really have the carboy lower than the bottles or you can have a constant flow of wine through the lines caused by gravity, even if you press the vacuum release, I usually move the unit from one bottle to the next real fast to avoid this, but end up with a slight mess from time to time.
Once again, I don't want to give you the wrong advice, it is far better to listen to Steve and bottle the way he has recommended.******

Tom

Last edited:
Lori sorry for your lost:ts. 1 Hand on a 3 gal. though? I hope I never get on your wrong side! You go girl!!lol

ok lori.....sorry that you lost your wine, and had all that clean up.

now get the winemaking out of the kitchen and somewhere else where you have more room, and dont have to move your carboys ....

I've been there; with a Wine Expert White Port Kit that I was particularly wanting to enjoy. VERY sticky cleanup. Under freezers, etc etc the mess just seemed endless. I feel for you LOTS LOTS and LOTS. And losing my precious 11.5L carboys, they are my favourite size too. RIP... I feel your pain!

Lori first off. I am happy you're safe and didn't get hurt. So sorry for your loss.

It's like losing things in a fire. The structure (carboy) can be replaced, but the personal things like pictures (wine) cannot be duplicated always.

I too am glad you didn't get hurt! I'm looking at my feet as I type this & can still see the scars from 15 mo ago when I dropped an empty 5 gal carboy on my feet & tile floor. Carboys can be VERY dangerous, especially with wet hands! I was cleaning mine. Newbies beware! Others very careful!! It can happen to anyone. Roy

Nooooooooooooooooo! Poor girl. I'm glad you're ok.

Looking at it from a different side: if you were a winery your three bottles would sell for big money as a 'rare and limited edition vintage'. :) Perhaps you will savour them all the more because of this.

Glad you are okay Lori.
I just ordered a carboy carrier. I'm getting too old as well, and a 6 gallon carboy is getting heavier and heavier. Not taking any chances of the same happening to me.

Back