Rookie mistake of the week. Or, how not to handle a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Joe's advice and have been thinking of doing that for some time.
I have an old milk crate in the garage I am going to start using, after a few good sterlizing baths.
But I can not for the life of me find any heavy duty ones locally.
My wife bought me one at target but it is flimsy, so the search continues.

I'm sure someone on the list knows where to get them (honestly)!
I used to manage a convenience store 30 years ago, and had a nice supply of them.

Love my Brew Haulers. Cheaper off Amazon, adjustable and easy to store.

looking for the lees????

FLASHLIGHTS WORK WELL,ANOTHER WAY IS TO ADD SUPERKLEER WAIT 2WEEKS AND RACK TO A BUCKET,THAT SHOULD ALWAYS DO THE TRICK.OR LOOKING STRAI=GHT DOWN THE CARBOYS NECK ?.........................................:u

DO YOU SEE THE SEDIMENT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE LAST PIC? IF YOUR DEALING WITH A RED,THEN THE PROCESS SHOULD APPLY ALSO,RACK ANYWAY AND PROCESS STRAIGHT THROUGH EITHER ,RE-CARBOY OR BOTTLE ......THE SAFETY IS THERE YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN A BETTER APPROACH TO THE END.

SEDIMENT ATFTER CLEARRING.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

17 stirring moscato after stabilizing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

19 moscato cleaning carboy.jpg

Nice and clear Moscato 9 12 13.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to add that I received my Carboy cover yesterday. It's well made, and a nice tight fit.

That looks pretty neat. Does it have a zipper somewhere?

The thing with the brew haulers is, the way the handles are designed, it looks to me like a back injury waiting to happen. I usually squat and pick them up with a big hug. :hug Using my legs and not my back.

I got milk crates from The Container Store. They are sturdy-- not flimsy.
I think I might have to get some of those carboy covers. They look useful. I like the Brew Hauler but I also like to keep trying to find the better mousetrap. Haha

Totally agree with Joe. All my 3 , 5 and 6 gallon carboys are stored and moved in "milk crates". The one downside is that they make it difficult to see the height of the lees after first racking or to see presence of any lees after the third or fourth racking... Still have not figured out how to solve that problem, but the benefit of safety and the reduced risk of a catastrophic accident outweighs that cost, IMO.

I use milk crates as well except when on my carboy rack. They're a dime a dozen if you look around.

What if you cut out a 2-3 inch hole at the bottom of each side with a hole saw or zip saw? It would give you a way to see into the bottom without taking much away from the strength of the crate. Also a bit of white cardboard in the bottom would make it easier to see. (just thinkin out loud)

cheers

That looks pretty neat. Does it have a zipper somewhere?

The thing with the brew haulers is, the way the handles are designed, it looks to me like a back injury waiting to happen. I usually squat and pick them up with a big hug. :hug Using my legs and not my back.

Yes, It has a zipper running from top to bottom.

carboy_net.jpg

I recall a similar disaster about a year ago, but it involved a table collapse, and the loss of several carboys full of wine.
I Can't remember who it was???

I can't recall who it was either, but I saved the picture...to always remember never to use a pedestal table to hold multiple full carboys. This is the sole reason my Lab table is supported on 4x4's, topped with three-quarter-inch plywood, and is anchored firmly to the wall!

For some reason I thought this was Julie's disaster. I could be wrong...

IMG_0315.jpg

lori i use my guest house, are my studio which I use to rent, but now keep for wine making and the occasional quest...
send me pic and square footage, maybe i can come up with idea for you...

I can't recall who it was either, but I saved the picture...to always remember never to use a pedestal table to hold multiple full carboys. This is the sole reason my Lab table is supported on 4x4's, topped with three-quarter-inch plywood, and is anchored firmly to the wall!

For some reason I thought this was Julie's disaster. I could be wrong...

IMG_0315.jpg
That's the picture I was looking for...it was SarahRides basement disaster.

Lori,

So sorry for your loss!

Happened to one of my members. He went to pick up a carboy, and placed his hand over a bee that was sitting on it. as he lifted, the bee got him and he ended up droppin gthe 5 gal carboy on the concrete floor as a matter of reflex.

Long story short, this friend is not a proud owner of the "Dropped Bottle" winery.

Poor Sarah. Those pictures are just awful. I think I would have just given up the hobby after that. Or sold the house... as is.

Bummer Lori, but what a nice outpouring of support. Thanks for sharing, I think you've raised awareness for all of us. No doubt this is the best forum ever.

I have done the same thing, drinking and moving carboys don't mix. I never ever told anyone so keep it to yourself.

Latest posts

Back