Rookie Corking Problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajax

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Folks... We just bottled our first run of wine. We used an 'Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet' kit. All of our equipment came from a 'True Brew Gold Kit' that we received for Christmas at least 5 years ago, which contained 30 corks and a wing-lever corker.

All went well with the process until bottling this morning. The corks either stuck out over the top of the bottle approx 1/8-to 1/4 of an inch, or were driven down into the bottle below the top on one side, but popped up a tad on the other. Bottles were filled to two-fingers under the cork. Corks are #8 x 1-3/4"

Is this a problem? And if so, what is the remedy? I'm thinking that these corks might be past their prime. I also should mention that I didn't soak or sanitize the corks. Hey, I'm a rookie! ;)

Thanks for your help!

You need a floor corker! This is a common problem with hand held corkers!!!! Rinsing the corks with a warm sulfite solution helps but they still usually have a problem getting them all the way in. Most likely the corks were fine.
On another note when you hit the reply button to submit thos post you must haveaccidently hit the red Triangle right under it which moderates the post meaning that it hides it from everyone except the Moderators. Its mainly designed for people to alert of us Spam or conduct unbecoming on the forum but I fixed it for you. Welcome to this site and hope you stay and learn and teach. We screw around a lot here and have a lot of fun doing so discussing much more then wine and beer.

Thanks for the heads up! Prior to today's extravaganza, I made a dry run with two bottles of water, and put them on the floor to cork. The results were much better than today, when I did all my work on the countertop. Looks like I didn't have enough 'oomph' at waist level. I hear that from my wife, a lot.

So do I have a problem, or am I just dealing with 'ugly'? If ugly it is, I can live with that... I'm used to it. ;)

I have an old hand-corker, and it's in a storage drawer... I won't even give it away, since I don't want to curse someone else with having to use it! LOL

As mentioned, a floor corker is your solution. If you can't afford to purchase one ASAP, or you want to try one out before purchasing, most local wine supply shops will have a model you can rent for just a few bucks.

GL!

Thats a great idea there Dan. I too have a spare Portuguese hand corker in my drawer. Ajax, you can still probably put it in the position that you get better control of it and get it in a little further. Otherwise its just an ugly cork. When you find that real good position replace that bottle and corker with your wife right there and maybe she wont be a complaining no mo! :)

Up until this year, I used a hand corker, my husband had to do the corking and he is a very big (and very strong)man but for him to put the cork in the bottle with a hand held corker, he had to put the bottle on the floor. We now have a floor corker that I use while he fills the bottles. Piece of cake. If you are going to continue to use the hand held, don't do it at waist high, put the bottle on the floor and cork it that way.

AND welcome to Winemakingtalk.

An easy fix for you is to take a small piece of a wooden dowel (approx diameter of the cork). and lightly tap with a mallet to put the cork to the desired depth. Do not hit them too hard otherwise you'll have big problems just lightly tap them If you do use the hand corker if you sanitize them with k-meta they slip in much easier.

I would just spend about $60 and invest in a floor corker - that is the way to go. It will save you time and aggravation.

I have a brand new Portugese hand corker. I've never used it and I never plan to. I have my eyes on either a Portugese or Italian floor corker.

I have had my Portuguese for 7 years now and have corked well over 2000 bottles with it and still going strong.

I believe the Italien has brass bushing where the Portugese dosen't In other words the Italien is better built

Floor corker is on my wish list. Until then I'm still using my Double lever hand corker. Use both Agglomerated #9 and Nomacorks with no problems.

The Port floor corker is great at half the price and i have done well over 2000 bottles with mine. The Italian is a better model and has a few other options if you're going to make a sparkling wine. It's also a little easier to cork with as it has a longer lever for better leverage. The bad side of that is if you're a shorter person and sitting down the Port corker is better.

Consistent results with a hand corker is hard to achieve. The idea is to put the same force and stop at the same point for each cork. I got pretty good at it, but good is relative in this scenario. :slp Then I bought a nice floor corker.

A hand corker is OK to get started, but believe us, a floor corker is worth the bucks.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. A floor corker is now at the top of my wino wish list. Looks like I'm in good shape; none of the corks have moved, they're just ugly.

I have the same problem, most of my corks don't end up flush with the bottle.
I don't know if this is good or not, but I cut em off even with the bottle top.

Semper Fi

Back