Rookie Corking Problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice, folks. A floor corker is now at the top of my wino wish list. Looks like I'm in good shape; none of the corks have moved, they're just ugly.

Ajax, great move. I have always been a firm believer in the right tool for the right job! The floor corker not only will give you a better looking finish but it will make the entire bottling experience that much more pleasurable instead of a chore.

I have the same problem, most of my corks don't end up flush with the bottle.
I don't know if this is good or not, but I cut em off even with the bottle top.

Semper Fi

Good idea!

That greatly reduces the cellaring time and exposes the inner cork and may be releasing stuff that was inert from being sealed under paraffin wax! Not a good idea!

You should use a small piece of dowel rod and mallet and "Tap" them down to desired depth.

Invest in a floor corker if you plan on bottling 50+ gallons per year or selling your wine. Other than aesthetics, there is nothing wrong with an off balance cork. If you stay with the wing corker, soak your corks for at least a half hour.

Invest in a floor corker if you plan on bottling 50+ gallons per year or selling your wine. Other than aesthetics, there is nothing wrong with an off balance cork. If you stay with the wing corker, soak your corks for at least a half hour.

I thought it was illegal to sell homemade wine or beer without a license? Or are you referring to selling to friends or ??

Bob

I thought it was illegal to sell homemade wine or beer without a license? Or are you referring to selling to friends or ??

Bob

Bob,

I think he was just saying that if you were going to sell it (become a retailer) you should have a floor corker because it makes them look better. At least that is the way I took it..

Bob

Bob,

I think he was just saying that if you were going to sell it (become a retailer) you should have a floor corker because it makes them look better. At least that is the way I took it..

I am not sure what either of you are talking about. Where was it ever mentioned about selling anything, unless if I missed something. Regardless of how much you bottle investing in a floor corker is only about another 40.00 and well worth it. I household with 2 or more adults is allowed to produce up to 200 gallons a year.

I am not sure what either of you are talking about. Where was it ever mentioned about selling anything, unless if I missed something. Regardless of how much you bottle investing in a floor corker is only about another 40.00 and well worth it. I household with 2 or more adults is allowed to produce up to 200 gallons a year.

Dan,

It was in MeatZorro's post. See my post with his quote. BTW, I don't think either of us questioned how much a household can make per annum.

Cheer!

Bob

PS: I fully agree on the floor corker choice, too.

Ahhh ok I missed that " you plan on bottling 50+ gallons per year or selling your wine". Yep thats a no no!
Police_lights_3.gif

Gee Dan.....scolding me????? hehehe I was just trying to help... Geeez. haha

Latest posts

Back