Rinsing wine filter pads

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWyatt

Junior
Reaction score
hello everyone ! how much water should i run through my filter pads on my wine filter befroe i start filtering my wine?

Welcome aboard!!!

I like to run 2 gallons of warm water with a tablespoon of citric acid in it.

VWyatt:

Which wine filter do you have?

I have been running 1 gallon (or a bit more) through a Mini Jet. For a Super Jet I have used 6 US gallons (5 Imperial gallons). That's my interpretation of the instructions. BTW, the SJ pads are larger than MJ pads, and I think that is one erason for using more rinse water.

Steve

I have a super jet as well and run about 5 gal of water.

Cheers
Peter

Citric acid eh ?

thanks Winemaker !!

will running citric acid through the filters affect the wine at all?

thanks Winemaker !!

will running citric acid through the filters affect the wine at all?

No - just make sure that when you start filtering your wine - you run about 500ml thru first before you start running it into your carboy.

That will get all the citric solution out - you should see a color change as well - then just insert it into the carboy.

For a SJ, Try this..

Instead of running water through the filter, I presoak the filter pads. Dip em into a bucket of water until they stop fizzing, then add to the filter assembly. I also measured that the 3 filter pads absorb exactly 500ml of water so I tend to dump the first 720ml of wine comming through the filter.

johnT.

Latest posts

Back