REVIEW: *Whole House Wine Filtering*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished my first filtering using the WHF and the AIOWP - very pleased with how beautiful my peach wine looks! I have noticed in the thread that multiple people mentioned drying the filter cartridge in the microwave. I would appreciate details around settings, duration, etc. I don't want to ruin the cartridge. I am using the P1 and P5 cartridges.

That was me - with the drying of using a microwave on my expensive filters (above 100 dollars or so )
I would personally not recommend doing the same with a 3 dollar filter - I would use it and discard it. What I would do is use it for several batches and then discard it

Great write up...I think I might go ahead and invest in the Whole House System with the pump.

I purchased a (used) Buon Mini Jet and used it today to filter my Mango wine (#2 filter). Wasn't too thrilled with the loss (around 20 ounces due to residuals in carboy, some leakage and filter retainage). It cleared the wine Ok. Compared to the write up and the endorsement for the Whole House system, I wish I would have seen this earlier!

After doing a few test runs with plain water I finally was able to bottle using the AIO and the whole house system.

I did have one issue. As the bottle filled a large amount of "froth" or foam formed similar to when you degas as you transfer from carboy to carboy with the AIO.

Is this normal? Did I not degas properly during the transfer process? I only transferred this batch once.

Here is a pic of what the bottle looked like after about 15 minutes of sitting:

This is my first attempt to bottle using the filter system. If I remember correctly the wine didn't gas up so much when I used the AIO without the filter.

I was using a 1 micron filter.

Is it still safe to cork with that white foam in there?

I do. Sometimes it's caused by filling too fast. (Bottling attachment has 2 speeds) other times by kmeta still in the bottle. Never had a problem yet.

Were you filtering straight to the bottle? If so that can cause it wlso. Filter to a clean carboy and then just fill the bottles.

I do. Sometimes it's caused by filling too fast. (Bottling attachment has 2 speeds) other times by kmeta still in the bottle. Never had a problem yet.

K meta could have been the issue.

When you say the bottling attachment has 2 speeds what do you mean?
I was controlling the speed with the in-line pressure release button.

Look on the attachment, there is a red line. Leave red line open slows down the speed, covering it and its wide open. I cover mine and use the throttle to regulate the speed. I still get foam sometimes.

Look on the attachment, there is a red line. Leave red line open slows down the speed, covering it and its wide open. I cover mine and use the throttle to regulate the speed. I still get foam sometimes.

Cool. I didn't even notice that. Thank you! So I can go ahead and cork? Will that little layer of suds go away?

Thanks D !
I turn on my computer and I must say you answered all the questions - before I even had a chance to -- Thanks again !!

Yes it is not recommended to filter and bottle at the same time

Steve you sure have a bunch of helpers.....
Make note: add tag to filter....Do not filter and bottle at same time...
Hey buddy, see you fixing to get more cold,ice and snow....
Invitation stands, come on down.

Yes it is not recommended to filter and bottle at the same time

I did overlook that fact. Next time I will rack/filter THEN bottle. Thanks again for everyones help.

In spite of the operator error I did manage to get 60 bottles done. I'm definitely happy with the results.

I want to make or buy a filtering system. Vinbrite would do for this year, but there are no stores near here.

I have only about 30 -34 gallons of wine to filter for this year.

I could buy the Buon Vino at the Brew Store - about $200

I saw a whole house filtering system - several sizes with all sizes filters in the microns at Canadian Tire, brand name "Rainfresh".
I wouldn't have any trouble with the tubing and fittings - I've done home plumbing around here a lot.

! don't have special corks or tools to make special corks and don't have glass carboys nor do I want to invest in them right now. But I have other tools for plumbing and fitting.
-

So I would like to find a pump that does something like the Buon Vino does. ie suck the liquid from a tube in the carboy and push it through the filter

The Buon Vino can draw from a carboy or primary and put to another carboy or primary - no need to create a vacuum in the carboy.

So I could pass from the carboy to my primary bucket through a pump and the filter system.

So would a air compressor pump perform this action and could it be rigged ?
Or some other kind of pump?

No offence beggarsu
But you are on a review of the whole house filtration. I think you might get better response by starting a new topic ?

I don't believe an air compressor is your solution - I believe you will be needing a liquid pump of sort. I am familiar with shurflo pumps - but then they are quite expensive - around the 100 dollar range and up.

Rainfresh Brand Whole House Filter

I have bought the Rainfresh Brand Whole house water filter. It's the only brand sold around here or up here in Canada as far as I know. I got a small choice of major hardware stores (Peavy's, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware ,Rona (Rona doesn't sell WHF) in this small city, this is all that they sell.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...r-under-sink-water-filter-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.rainfresh.ca/sediment_filters.php

canadian tire.jpg

I have the Standard one, not the deluxe one, 27.99 at Canadian Tire - it was 26.99 at Peavy's but they were sold out of the standard.

Filters are 5.99 (all kinds) at Peavy's and 5.99 (5 Micron) and 7.99 (1 Micron) at Canadian Tire. So Peavy's is best buy.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5cKin3pfDZM[/ame]

No store had any set of connectors made for this - apparently there are some but they don't have them here (Connector Set CK1 - no store has this - go figure and I'm not sure it's useful for my purpose ) -I had to improvise.
I am working on a smorgasbord of connectors -using plastic tubing - because there are no standard parts for what I am doing. I think it got some leak proof connections going - this does not need to take the pressures of house water pressure so tubing within tubing can be secure. I've done my own house plumbing with PEX and clamping tool.
I worked out system of tubing within different sizes tubing to interconnect and did some clever work cutting tubing slices putting inside the plastic connectors at joins to make the rainfresh connectors airtight ( I bought 2 times 3/4 (screw to tube connectors) for $79 cents each. I'll post some pics later.

---

I am in the middle of testing it with water before I do my wine (Skeeter Pee and Dragon's Blood both are ready).

The reason I am posting is that I accidentally reversed input and output while testing the water flow. And Gadzooks when I turned it upside done I realized I had drained all 100 percent of the water from it.

I have prepared a PEX 1/2 inch pipe just about to cut to length - ( I thought up a new method for this cutting different from what others have done here - I'll detail later) but seeing if I simply reverse the outlets , the fluid coming in up the centre and exiting the side it simply drains completely by turning it upside down. I just use it on my table -chair setup , I don't permanently fix to a table leg - actually I bungee cord it to the chair - simple setup - takes no time to set up, so it's easy to turn upside down.

So, did anyone try that? ie reversing the outlets. If the filter is different on the inside from the outside maybe gross filter on the outside and fine on the inside - I should go with the PEX trouble but if not then this way is good.
did anyone open a used filter and see what they look like - are they consistent all the way through and inside surface same as outside surface - the only way I could tell right now would be to destroy my filter.

There is nothing left in the unit after use (with reversal of intake) not even 6 ounces that dangerdave reported with his setup.

thanks

EDIT:

I am assuming the design of the Pentek is the same as the Rainfresh, I've seen the picture of the pipe inserted -the outtake looks the same so the intake hole must be the same - ie inside, on the side.

EDIT2

OK looks like going inside to out on the filter is a bad idea -
Small surface area to large surface area for one thing - all the filtered stuff will be in a small area - not the intended use of the filter and probably not effective.

I got the 1/2 inch PEX rod ready - it fits from the tapered out-take hole to a raised centre notch inside the filter at the far end (where it is closed) which keeps it centered - I just continued to slice down the PEX til it fit exactly - then I cut two notches on either side of the PEX pipe at the far end 1/4 inch deep, 1/4 inch wide with exacto knife.
I think that will be enough - test it tomorrow..

--->

Postscript _ I used a $15 drill pump to pull the water through in my test - works OK - gets the job done .
(Wine --> Rainfresh WHF --> drill pump ---> empty carboy)
( Wine on Table ---> Filter at Table Bottom Height (strapped to chair back) ---> pump on chair seat ---> carboy on floor)
This is just emergency use because I got wine to filter immediately. Later I intend to replace the drill pump with a vacuum pump.

Last edited:
I personally would keep the inlet and outlet in the direction it was intended for - if you tip the housing upside down it will still empty out - there are many people who have posted the same result on this topic.

The filter is designed this way for proper filtration - it has much more surface area on the outside of the filter compared to the inside. You will clog up a filter alot faster by reversing it.

Try looking for a 3/4''to a 1/2'' bushing and then 1/2 to a 3/8 bushing and then use a standard 3/8 barb end with male threads to thread into the bushing

Last edited:
I personally would keep the inlet and outlet in the direction it was intended for - if you tip the housing upside down it will still empty out - there are many people who have posted the same result on this topic.

The filter is designed this way for proper filtration - it has much more surface area on the outside of the filter compared to the inside. You will clog up a filter alot faster by reversing it.

Try looking for a 3/4''to a 1/2'' bushing and then 1/2 to a 3/8 bushing and then use a standard 3/8 barb end with male threads to thread into the bushing

Yes thanks, I figured that out. I was able to get 3/4''to a 1/2'' bushing and 1/2" inch to 1/2 inch barb - the rest was handled easily by tubes over tubes and within tubes - I even triple layered some joins (successive layers of different sizes tubing so they are solid and narrowed down. The stress here is not as serious as house water pressure. I even just unplug the tubes for storage or to drain the last part with gravity.

I think I see Steve, you went for the turning upside down solution or said it's about the same from the other thread.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Rainfresh for alignment or leakage as I seemed to see for the other brand scanning the pages of this thread, - seems to be a good tight seal and the filter fits really well, guided and held by inner ledges on the glass end.

I seemed to sort of froth the last bit no matter what I did so finally i opted for the simple solution - gravity drain the last bit in the upside down position - it drained out without needing pressure or so it seemed my last test run through.

I filtered skeeter Pee which was already very clear - but I hope I got rid of the dreaded eyesore stuff which I found out accumulates over time from some of my home fruit wines unfiltered or maybe not as cleared as I thought they were.

I'm fairly well satisfied with the batch filtering.

I filtered a couple of 1.5 litres sets and sort of frothed them at the end - (that's a problem from my drill pump being too strong I think-so it's working but troublesome) before I thought of the gravity solution which I only just did testing with water.
So I will try letting gravity finish it in the future. As for if a little bit gets unfiltered being trapped in the well wall between intake and outake I'll just put it in the last bottle as tester to drink first, it's no big deal but very little gets trapped there..

Taste testing the stuff I seemed to aerate - didn't seem to turn to instant vinegar - maybe it just looks bad in the action, maybe it takes a lot more than that to damage the wine or perhaps I had them adequately sulphided or even over-sulphided which prevented damage? Or maybe over time it will taste sour?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back