REVIEW: *Whole House Wine Filtering*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dralarms said:
Dang it, I messed up my o-ring. Any where to get one or am I screwed?

Yes filterfast sells replacement o rings
Don't forget a little lube helps the o ring from tearing

The big box stores carry them but I don't know if it will fit your housing

I just wanted to give FilterFast a compliment for their customer service. My housing was messed up by the hard plastic in the center of the filter. They sent me replacement filters for the ones that ruined the housing and gave me a considerable discount on a new housing. All is fixed now and running as smoothly as ever!

Thanks for the terrific customer service FilterFast! Also, thanks to Steve for a great explanation of the problem and his customer service as well.

I just wanted to give FilterFast a compliment for their customer service. My housing was messed up by the hard plastic in the center of the filter. They sent me replacement filters for the ones that ruined the housing and gave me a considerable discount on a new housing. All is fixed now and running as smoothly as ever!

Thanks for the terrific customer service FilterFast! Also, thanks to Steve for a great explanation of the problem and his customer service as well.

What housing and filters did you get in replacement? I had a similar problem and have yet to replace it. TIA

I've just received Pentek housing and filters from filterfast. However, I do not see o-rings that have been mentioned in several posts along this thread. Is this ok? Where these o-rings should be?

Chiumanfu said:
Sudz, since you are already flipping the housing, I'd suggest trying it without the tube and see if that works better for you.

Here is my process...

1) Start with the housing right side up. Turn on the vacuum.

2) Wait about 10 seconds for the housing to fill.

3) Once the wine starts flowing from the output port, flip the housing upside down. The wine flows in the bottom and out the bottom therefore never having the opportunity to mix with air.

4) At the end of the transfer, once the wine is almost finished emptying from the housing, open the bypass valve and blow off the vacuum.

5) Raise the housing higher than the receiving carboy to allow any last drops to gravity feed into the carboy.

I posted a link to a video a page back.

Can you please recommend the vacuum pump that you use. I have been researching this process, have all the filter parts ordered. Thanks for your help. Ds

Can you please recommend the vacuum pump that you use. I have been researching this process, have all the filter parts ordered. Thanks for your help. Ds

The pump I use is an older aspirator pump originally used by a dentist I believe. Anyway, I didn't buy it so I can't help you with a recommendation. I've used it for several years degassing and racking. Works great.

One final question. If I mount the filter housing do i need the black 9" tube inside the filter

Looks like there is a variety of vacuum pumps being used. How much vacuum is needed as a minimum? Will a small or mico vacuum pump work or converted aquarium pump work? Seems the mico pumps pull 16Hg.

Thanks, Tony

Don't think 16 would do it. Steve has gone to a lot of expense to create a great product. I'd buy one before I tried to jumble something together.

You can try it ???
I dont think it will have enough LPN to do much of anything ?
And the vacuum is also very low

Last edited:
Back