racked from secondary??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, hydro readings dont go up unless you tested a must before the fruit in there has given off its sugars and that would have happened long ago. At those readings you most likely got a false reading due to C02 in your wine making the hydrometer ride high.

Thanks for the information. I gave it a good stir today. Will let you know the progress on my hot wine;)

:d:d
Everything is fine. I hope you realize that most of my posts here are after at least a magnum and usually a magnum and a little rum nectar as well.

Your wine is going to be awesome. Just leave it alone till the fermenting stops There are only two ways I know of to mess up a wine kit:

1) Top up with water which dilutes your wine
2) Bottle before your wine is clear.

I've made both mistakes and both wines are very good wines. You are going to be fine.

It has been about two weeks since my last sg reading. Took it and it is still at 1010. Fermenting has slowed way down. Should I just wait it out and take another reading in a week?
Thank you;)

Id say its done but thats not where it should be at. I think when you racked you left behind too much viable yeast making the fermentation impossible to finish or you got a false starting sg. Did you dissolve the sugar in boiling water when you added it at the beginning? Hopefully you wanted a semi sweet wine. :re

I did not add the sugar to boiling water:slp So should I stabilize?? And semi sweet wine is fine!

Hey TMH;
I am following this thread, re-educating myself of all the things I did wrong a long time ago, so I can repeat them again LOL.
I am curious if you moved your carboy to a warmer area, and do not see a response to to your question of 57 degrees being ok.
Everything I have read today and was true so long ago was to use a higher temperature, 68 being the lowest and 86 the high, for most yeasts anyway. I am still seeing everyone indicate around 75 degrees, so I am very curious here!
Be well!

Tim
:ib

I did not see that she had 57 degree temps, that is way to cold to finish fermenting and if thats the case surely get the temp up to around 75 as it may start fermenting again and you need these temps also for the wine to degas or it wont clear properly and possible start fermenting agi in the bottle if the temps come back up later.

Those temps will ensure that fermentation completes. Each yeast strain has a temp and alc tolerance and even withinn those tolerancesit ca struggle if right on the edge. Remember to degas well before adding any fining agent as C02 trapped in your wine will not let the sediment fall out properly.

I don't have much luck getting fermentation to re-start once it stops, others may disagree. Getting the wine to a warmer temp might get it moving again.

The 1.010 reading means there is some sugar or sweetness left in the wine. If you are fine with that, then don't worry about it for too much longer and go ahead and stabilize and clarify. If you would prefer to make the wine dry there are lots of other things you can do to try and get it fermenting again, like starting another kit and then racking this wine onto the yeast bed of the other kit after that kit is ready to go into a carboy. It's all just how particular you are and what you will be happy with. Since you said semi-sweet was fine, I guess I wouldn't go to any great lengths, this is supposed to be fun after all. Just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Maybe give it a little taste. If you like the taste, then go on to the next step. It might be a little fizzy but don't worry about that you are going to cure that when you de-gas.

I missed something here.
In a dark area? Was there a post indicating that to try restarting this needed to be in a dark area?
I see your point jdeere, if this is the taste, and SG you want to shoot for or accept, then call it good, but if I am also getting the drift of what she will do next would still mean a higher temp, of at least 75 to degass. Please set me straight otherwise.

Tim

It doesn't have to be pitch black. I just wrap a towel around the carboy and if it's a primary bucket no need to worry. Just keep the temp above 70f and below 80 and it should ferment well. Give it a gentle stir every day or so and the yeast will stay happy..
Good luck :)

The darkness has nothing to do with the fermentation completing, all wine should really be kept out of sunlight.

Thanks everyone for the info! I have got the temp. up and it has started fermentation again. So I think I will let it go for now. It is in my basement on a heat pad. I will check sg in a week. I;m going to shoot for the dryer wine. Welcome anymore advice on this. Yes I'm definitely learning and I love this forum!!:hug

Kewl TMH:
I hope I wasn't implying how to go or anything, I was curious since I too am learning this process. I have read on the forum here that a heat pad, keep an eye on the temp and that the belts are a better way to go. I still have my "pads" from long ago, so will probably follow suit and still use them. They have a thermostat on each so always kept things where I wanted.
SO I am watching along and excited to learn how things go for you.
Cold up there it is huh?

Tim

Thanks Tim. The weather has been gloomy, foggy and raining for the past three days. Temps are in the upper 60's low 70's. Hoping it gets back to 80's soon!!!

Checked my SG and it is at 1000. Still fermenting very slowly and temp is at a steady 75 degrees. Will keep checking the sg closely now.

Also was wondering what happen to the f-pac sticky??

Back