WineXpert Question for you Raisin adders, Tweakers and other miscreants.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
How do you best add raisins to a kit to get optimum body with minimal mess?:p

Hydrate raisins in minimal amount boiling water, then rough chop(optional) and place in mesh bag, add to primary. Can steep in juice if using an all-juice version.

You might see a common them here, "use a bag". I can tell you from personal experience that dropping them into the primary w/o a bag makes racking a major PITA. It took the better part of 45 minutes to rack a 6 gallon batch. The chopped raisins kept clogging my siphon.

Be carefull,

Raisins are fiull of sulphite so they might hinder an active fermentation.

First wash them in lukewarm water to get rid of the sulphite.
next put them in a bowl with water overnight so they swell and are easier to chop up.
Then chop them.

Be aware that the dark rasisins add colour to your juice.
Also be aware that raisins contain nutrients and sugar so that might ignite a re-fermentation.

And last read this:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Luc

I use the SunMaid products, both red and white raisins. I just checked my supply and the red raisins (2# bag from Sam's Club) does not mention sulfites. The 1# boxes of white do mention sulfites. I have used both without any preparation other than chopping or pulsing in a food process and bagging before adding to the wine. I have seen no negative impact from the raisins.

To be clear, this is not a recommendation against rinsing the raisins. I am just saying that I don't rinse them and it has not been a problem. If you want the peace of mind, you should probably rinse them. I like living on the edge.

I've used Sunmaid's Zante Currants (dried Black Corinth grapes) and golden raisins before without a problem. I just pulsed them in a food processor and placed them in a straining bag. The Zante Currants did not have sulfites listed on the box, but the golden raisins did if I recall correctly.

You might see a common them here, "use a bag". I can tell you from personal experience that dropping them into the primary w/o a bag makes racking a major PITA. It took the better part of 45 minutes to rack a 6 gallon batch. The chopped raisins kept clogging my siphon.

LMAO.. been there, done that.. :) Now use a bag...

Adding raisins

I like what Luc had to say about the raisins makes a lot of sense .if you do not mind doing a little work believe the raisins whole just put them in no big deal to me have to jostle the ball a little bit to get them out when you are done but what will happen in the interim is they will rehydrate with their own using the alcohol from the from the wine,. That is the second step, the first step's is to know characteristics of the one you are making raisins can also lend the flavor to the wine that you may not like. So take the time to investigate the wine that you are making consumers characteristics are, take for example I making a SANGIOVESE after primary fermentation I added 1 pound of raisins. These are naturally going to do the thing and for the SANGIOVESE this will be a good. I will the raisins outbe able to hold unto its own flavor characteristics while picking up the body and a hint of the raisin, I also added powdered Oak to this kit . This will now lend it more body and structure . We are now in our third or fourth week of the kit setting up a ready to take the raisins out when that time comes I will siphon off the wine and shake the raisins out . To each his own. Some people like to cut them up . I do not want the density in my wine , I just want the essence of the raisin,. This is not an amarone or a valploicella they had the strength to carry off the raisin attributes. Not only that ,with the quality of the wine juice that we get and/or some kits . It is a welcome additive, in my opinion one should not add raisins just for the sake of adding raisins, its not always beneficial .:rdo

I dropped them in, loosely, once... My only mistake was chopping the raisins up, causing them to sink.. I havent chopped them up since..

If you leave them whole, a majority of them well end up floating by the time you rack... I scooped them off the top of the wine on my 2nd try, and squeezed them back into raisins - getting all the goodies out - before eating a few and tossing the rest

I bag mine whole, in the primary, no rinse, no problems. Have used both red and white raisins with good results. Two pounds of red raisins turned a cheap $50 Shiraz kit into a very good wine.

To each his own

:tz I just realized that you are talking about putting the raisins in the primary ,. It has been my experience or should I say trial and error, the secondary is where the raisin should know in you think of it as a second pressing or represso .the primary juice, and fermented and then the skins reused the second pressing, in my case I use the raisins as a second pressing not the primary to reach the full benefit in that position, in the secondary left whole is will they will give off their essence without conflicting fermentation process headed up in the primary , nor will they conflict with what the yeast is trying to accomplish in the primary, in my view it is like a conflict of interest , so the secondary is where I put it each and every time. :db

E

For reds I use the Zante Currants for whites the golden or green grape raisins.

I chop and then add to the boiling oak for 5 min.

Add all the fluid thru the strainer bag.

Back