Pumps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, ha ha so many lessons we learn the hard way. I hope others learn from our mistakes and take them seriously. The first time I started using the capsules I did not remove the two o-rings. Yeap, next time I went to use it they had stretched out and were useless. The new ones were hard to find and I had to go to a shop that specialized in o-rings to get them (auto shops did not have the size). They weren't expensive but you can bet I picked up a half a dozen.

taken off the buon vino website for the mini jet
"Each pack of Mini Jet Filters is estimated to filter 30 litres (7.5 gallons) of wine depending on beginning clarity. Wine that has had a fining agent added before filtering may use twice as many filter pads."

so yes I would have to say finanically it is much better to use an inline filtration system

steve

The one I posted a picture of earlier. PVC for storing the filters.

I used my new All in one wine pump today for the first time. I was very pleased. The transfers worked perfect, I am glad I no longer have to lower the carboys to the floor to siphon. One great plus is that the vacuum on the wine pulls the dissolved CO2 out of the wine while doing the transfer. i have tried to use the pump that does my filtering but it just is not right for racking - to hard to control.
jeff sedlak

carboy implosion

what is the max vac pressure you want to run on a 6 gal carboy, used a vac pump to rack worked great must have had a cracked carboy it inploded about halfway into the transfer what a mess!

typically no more than 22" in HG but this is a first for me in 8+ years of hearing a carboy implode - especially a 6 gallon
were you trying to degass or transfer ?
when did it let go ? at what level or vacuum ?
sorry for all the questions, just intrested

thanks steve

what is the max vac pressure you want to run on a 6 gal carboy, used a vac pump to rack worked great must have had a cracked carboy it inploded about halfway into the transfer what a mess!

i dont think i was above 12 was flowing good about half way done ,i think it was cracked before i started because i racked about 6 before this with out any problem , sometimes i bump them or rinse with too hot of a water ,i inspect very closeley now for defects [ transfering]

Last edited:
thin glass can be dangerous

it only hurt the pocket book, i think the bacon wraped pork tenderloin will kill me before the glass , but some of my carboys are thin so i check for defects now when done racking , i dont think you can see them when full

Last edited:
#1 problem for carboys cracking is from using hot water to clean them. Use warm water!

I tried to get a 10 inch water filter and vacuum pump setup working, but I was never successful. I finally figured out that the threads on the filter housing I bought were not straight cut, but were beveled such that water pressure inside would push it out and help to seal it. A vacuum on the inside separates the threads and just guarantees an air leak. I'm using that filter housing now with a charcoal filter for my espresso machine supply line, and it's working fine in that application.

I finally broke down and bought a Buon Vino Superjet about a year ago. It works, but there are things about it that I definitely don't like. You have to pump sanitizer and then plain water through it before you can siphon your wine. Then when you start siphoning your wine, it mixes with the water at first so you end up wasting some of your wine because you can't really tell for sure when you are getting just wine. It's difficult with red, even moreso with white wine. Then if you filter multiple carboys of different wines, which is the only way you can really use the Buon Vino economically because of the filter cost and the waste, you end up getting some mixing at the end of one carboy and the beginning of the next. So your final wines aren't really pure.

I think I'm going to go back to the 10 inch filter housing or the filter in a PVC pipe approach if I can get it sorted out, and sell the Buon Vino.

6 gal

almost 4000 posts and youre just saying hello. i cant talk i dont remember if i ever said hello or not thats just how great this site is youre not judged just delt with as a person , in a perfect world it would be a 1 gal but it was a 6, 2nd one i lost christmas day first one i bumped on the toilet after rinsing in the tub,hope thats not a start of a bad year,just want everyone to be safe check for cracks, i thought i herd this one make a noise when i rinsed with hot water i didnt see a crack but when i went to transfer crack formed and started pouring wine, oh wait that post was 2009 nevermind i drink a little(a lot)

Last edited:
I never wash carboys with water hotter than about 100 degrees. I don't think it's a good idea to use hot water based on the anecdotal stories (horror stories) I've read, and there's really no need to. You can easily clean a carboy with oxyclean and tepid water.

I agree! I made that mistake once with a free carboy from the dump. I filled it with hot water and bleach and then left the house. Came back an hour later to a 3/4 full carboy on the counter and bleach solution on the counter and linoleum floor. I had to very gently rack what was left into the sink and then carefully remove the upper 1/2 and then the lower. Luckily it stayed together while it had all that in there!!!! Also, luckily it wasnt on a rug or something with that bleach or Id be a dead man!!!!!!!

Question, Dan. I notice in the picture that you posted of your filter container you have wine in various stages of ferentation in the background. The carboys are tilted on pieces of wood. Why do you do that? Is it to catch and concentrate the sediment in the low point of the carboy?

Hi Rocky. I'm not Dan (thank goodness LOL) and since he's not online I'll give you an answer. You are absolutely correct. It allows the sediment to settle on the low side making it easier to rack off the lees/sediment.

Latest posts

Back