Pulp/Chunks in Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyclk

Reaction score
Started a 3 Gallon batch of Peach wine Friday with the girlfriend. I wanted to use a mesh straining bag but she was convinced that putting the peach slices in the blender was a much better idea. Not wanting to sleep on the couch, we blended the peaches.

Today, Wednesday, the S.G. was 1.01 so I transferred to a clean carboy.

There was a TON of leftover peach pulp that I tried not to get into the carboy. I used a mini-auto siphon from the bucket to the carboy but apparently the anti-sediment filter didn't work too well. After filling up the carboy, there is still a LOT of peach pulp/chunks in there. :slp

What do I do at this point? Are these chunks going to rot and ruin the batch? I attached two pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

photo.jpg

photo(2).jpg

I have a large funnel from the LHBS that has a screen in it. If you rerack it with a strainer it should help. For future reference even if you do use a blender still use the strainer bag! Good Luck! Started my Peach Bout 4 weeks ago just getting ready to rack again this weekend, its starting to drop pretty good now.

Your one lucky guy !!!!
Or out of luck, depends on how you look upon it. I'll explain.

You started this batch friday ????
Your lucky that there is no vigorous fermentation. That might have pushed up all the pulp. And that could have clogged the airlock.

In that case the airlock would have been pushed out at best, but likely would have made a fountain and made a tremendous mess.
Remember that pressure build up will be enorm.

If that should have happened SHE would have to sleep on the couch or fill in whatever punishment you would have in mind :h:h:h

For now:
Just wait. The pulp will sink to the bottom if fermentation stops and compact.
Then rack.

I still wonder why you did not start in a primary..........

Luc

Yes you should be fermenting in a bucket not in a carboy. Your yeast will become stressed with the lack of oxygen and may start to give off an odor. Plus you won't have pineapple all over your ceiling like Luc said when you stir the must.

A lot of the pulp will settle to the bottom of the bucket, what doesn't remove with a spaghetti seive when gravity gets around 1.020.

I don't "blender" mine and I'd be happy on the couch:) but the pectic enzymes will chew up the cell structure turning most of the fruit into pulp.

I will say she was wrong to put it in a blender. It would have been much better if you just pitted the peaches and put in a straining bag with Pectic Enzyme and fermented in a bucket. (I make alot of peach wine)
Like above you will have alot of sediment the way you are doing it. Bet you will get 1/2 of what you planned on.
What was the starting gravity?
Whats the gravity now?
Post the recipe for better info on what you can do.

Actually, reading his post, he did start it in the bucket and transferred to the carboy at 1.010.

I think a person can use a blender ok only thing is when you go to strain you don't squeeze the bag much at all you gotta let it drip otherwise you will get a ton of sediment

Last edited:
I don't know if this is a concern as I am new to winemaking BUT I know for a fact that throwing peaches in a blender is going to oxidize the peaches. It isn't much different than using a high velocity spinning juicer. They mix air with the fruit in the process. That is why apple juice from a juicer is brown. Everything has been oxidized.

Now whether having the peach oxidized prior to fermentation is an issue, I have no idea.

I will say she was wrong to put it in a blender. It would have been much better if you just pitted the peaches and put in a straining bag with Pectic Enzyme and fermented in a bucket. (I make alot of peach wine)
Like above you will have alot of sediment the way you are doing it. Bet you will get 1/2 of what you planned on.
What was the starting gravity?
Whats the gravity now?
Post the recipe for better info on what you can do.

I agree - what i did with mine was i pitted/destoned added absorbic acid to prevent oxidation and froze. Thawed out and added pectic to it - and that worked just fine.

There are times when I don't use a strainer bag, if the fruit are big pieces I just let them in the primary BUT after a few days I will put a strainer bag into another bucket and pour the wine threw that, let the bag drip out and then squeeze as much out of the bag as I can, then once the sg is down to 1.010 or lower i rack to a carboy.

Started a 3 Gallon batch of Peach wine Friday with the girlfriend. I wanted to use a mesh straining bag but she was convinced that putting the peach slices in the blender was a much better idea. Not wanting to sleep on the couch, we blended the peaches.

Today, Wednesday, the S.G. was 1.01 so I transferred to a clean carboy.

There was a TON of leftover peach pulp that I tried not to get into the carboy. I used a mini-auto siphon from the bucket to the carboy but apparently the anti-sediment filter didn't work too well. After filling up the carboy, there is still a LOT of peach pulp/chunks in there. :slp

What do I do at this point? Are these chunks going to rot and ruin the batch? I attached two pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have to laff. My first try at wine making was peach wine. That was my first and last time trying it like you have. It took forever to strain. :rn
I'm a bag guy now.

Latest posts

Back